unidentified CLUNK - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2004, 05:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 34025
Question unidentified CLUNK

This sound just started for me 2 days ago, and I wanted to get some specific symptoms before posting, so I can try to figure out whats wrong with my pathy.

It sounds like it is coming from the passenger rear side. When ever I step on the gas heavy, it clunks. If I'm driving when I have my foot on the gas, it seems to make some quieter almost random clunks. If I am driving and hit a an upward bump while my foot is on the gas it clunks. It doesn't clunk nearly as badly if my foot is off the gas at the time. It seems to only be on the passanger side. If I hit those bumps with the driver side, it makes no noise. At first I thought it might be suspension, but jumping up and down and loading the rear end of the truck does nothing, and it seems fine.

Then today I seemed to notice some other symptoms. Once or twice when I hit the gas heavy, it was almost like the truck delayed for a split second then jerked to a start as it clunked loudly. I've notoiced if I'm turning to the right (toward the passanger side that the clunking comes from), that when accelerating it almost seems like that rear side is shaking or grinding something?! and as I make the turn, often feels like that back end is sliding out sideways or something. However, when I turn to the left, neither of these symptoms are present.

Oh... I also forgot to mention, the same time it started doing this, my anti-lock brakes light started coming on at times while I drive, and when I brake hard, there is sometimes a vibration/rumble type noise coming from the same spot?!?!

I'm just about clueless here, and was wondering if any of you could offer some insight as to what this may be, or have had the same problem in the past. ANY IDEAS?!?! Please let me know. Thanks!!

Edit: Stupid me ... I forgot to mention, this is on a '92 pathfinder

Last edited by LiftedUp; 12-16-2004 at 10:23 AM.
LiftedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11064
Send a message via AIM to XterraGuy
As I posted on NOR, could be a bad pinion bearing allowing the pinion shaft to wiggle in the housing which could explain the noises/jolts and the ABS light. The ABS sensor is behind the pinion flange and senses a reluctor ring on the pinion, if the pinion has enough play to let the ring contact the sensor or otherwise affect the sensor/reading, it would trip the light.
XterraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 34025
Quote:
Originally Posted by XterraGuy
As I posted on NOR, could be a bad pinion bearing allowing the pinion shaft to wiggle in the housing which could explain the noises/jolts and the ABS light. The ABS sensor is behind the pinion flange and senses a reluctor ring on the pinion, if the pinion has enough play to let the ring contact the sensor or otherwise affect the sensor/reading, it would trip the light.
Yeah I posted this on NOR too, and that seems to be getting the best response over there, so I've started looking at it, and came up with a list of things I've found... unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I am anywhere NEAR that lucky to have it be just a pinion bearing. I think I'm just gonna continue the thread over there, so if any of you are interested, it can be found here:

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/message...TOPIC_ID=14098

thanks!

Last edited by LiftedUp; 12-16-2004 at 12:48 PM.
LiftedUp is offline   Reply With Quote