rear springs? for sas - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 117745
rear springs? for sas

in the process of doing a sas on my 94 nissan king cab. Using 2inch lift springs for a wagoneer up front (88' waggy 44 axle). (from www.bjsoffroad.com). Just looking for a good spring to compensate for the front, in flex and lift. The front springs are a 5 pack and measure 45"long. I talked to calmini and they said they used rancho 44044 with 2 leaves taken out (they are originally 7) up front on their truck, but couldnt tell me what they used on the back. They are not the greatest or smartest to deal with. Any ideas on what to run in the back? Maybee trail-gear 3" rear springs?

Thanks
nissanheathen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 107994
You can try Alcan Spring to see if they have what your looking for.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 45529
The waggys are actually 47 eye to eye on the length, just like Nissan and some yotas. Nissan rears on the d21 are basically the same, just slighter skinnier. I use yota lift springs. 79-85. They use 14mm instead of 12mm though at the shackle. Plus the pin is 1.5: forward of Nissans. I moved my hole 1" to compensate. Also had to make new shackles due to serious arch in the 4" procomp springs. I would reccomend some springs with less lift if not SAS.

Some people use the Nissan main leaf and build a pack with waggy or yota leafs.

I use stock waggys up front, with some thicker nissan leaves mixed in. The calmini truck is a little taller than mine.

My SAS SOA page has more details.

http://nissannut.com/projects/sas

Flex great.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 117745
yea, i read alot of stuff on your forum thanks alot for having a website to help out us nissan guys. I just dont want my truck to sit very high, id rather run 36" tires with alot of fender cutting then have all kinds of lift to get my tires to fit. (tires dont measure that anyways when their aired down like they should be any time you wheel). So would lift spring for a wagoneer work in the rear also? I mean anything you can make work i guess, Otherwise it looks like all just run toyota springs. I can get a good discount on trail-gear springs.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 75566
Send a message via AIM to mitchg
Run stock Toyota rears up front.... Go on the toy faq page and read about them, I will never run another leaf spring up front. Might have to play around with the pack some depending on the wieght of your vehicle but the flex really well and keep you COG low... As far as the rears...I wouldn't buy brand new springs, I followed nissan nut's sping idea at first but didnt like them for my set up. So I sold them and I now run stock chevy rears...Plus I have about $80 invested in my leaves total.

Last edited by mitchg; 08-07-2008 at 11:12 AM.
mitchg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 55988
I'm still IFS, but spring over in the rear. I had to raise my mounts to stay level with the front. I used a combo of the stock pack and an aftermarket 12 leaf pack. The X springs I think are 54". I used the military wrap main leaf with one long stock leaf and a couple thin leaves. Drove it that way for a while and they settled quick. Also had a lot of axle wrap. I just installed one more thin leave and the stock overload spring. Stock rack and most axle wrap is gone. And excellent downward articulation.

Last edited by Xteror1; 08-07-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Xteror1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 117745
Mitchg, what do you mean by stock chevy rears? A part number would be sweet. Also have you converted to toyota drive train, it looks like from the pics your using a toyota axle up front? Im using a 88 waggy 44 so i dont know if the rear toy spring (what year toy spring?) will work with the calmini kit, they told me only waggy springs will work, i still havent decided to use their stuff or make my own yet.

Xteror1 i have to ask the question about the optima yellow top strapped up under your X?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 75566
Send a message via AIM to mitchg
Chevy Spring Faq - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=20665

Waggy spings are 47" and toy rear springs are 48" it should work with the kit alothough the center pin on toys spring is different and it will put your axle farther foward. /forum/toyota-truck-4runner/265669-rear-up-front-faq.html

Toy faq page (scroll to sping section) http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180

Yes I have toyota drive train, but only because I kept the 2wd tranny and run devorced t-case.

It's up to you which way you wanna go with it. If this is your first build, I would follow Nissan Nut's advice because he has a very detailed website that explains the process really well. Good luck on the build

Last edited by mitchg; 08-08-2008 at 03:11 PM.
mitchg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 117745
Does most of this apply to us nissan guys (as far as the rear toys up front, any idea how far forward the axle will move on a hardbody?) How did you mount your rear spring hanger location for the chevy's, did you do a double shackle. If so can i see some pics of your build or a link to the thread. Sorry, us nissan guys just have a tough time trying to get toyota stuff, and every other afftermarket co's stuff to work. I wish their was some co. (not calmini) that gave two sh!ts about nissan trucks.

thanks again
Old 08-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 55988
The motorcycle strap is me not finishing that project. I relocated my battery down there as part of a dual battery setup. My compressor is where the stock battery was. Just haven't gotten around to finishing it. I've been working on to many projects at once with no money. Keeps you jumping from project to project.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 79897
You can use toy fronts....I use all pro offroad long travel 4 inch lift springs on mine. They are a little shorter then the waggy's I set it up with and have the pin 1 inch forward. After they sag they end up pretty much flat.

For the back I used Jeep Grand Wagoneer 6 inch lift springs from BJ's offroad...I had to remove one leaf so I think the 4 inch lift ones would work better. I welded the the jeep stock spring hangers about 7.5 inches forward of the nissan mounts. The rear is the stock Nissan mount with some 6 inch toy shackles. Chevy springs would require relocating the rear hangers as well.
rwpotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 49248
Send a message via AIM to chuck's99
im running stock 7 leaf waggy springs up front and 63 chevys in the rear with calmini shackles, the waggy springs flex well for a stock spring i have more than enough room for 35's up front im running the 4 leaf plus overload chevys rear they flex allright im going to either pull the overloads out or one of the main leafs to see if a get more flex out of them.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 117745
do you have any pics of your swap or of the completed project Chuck's99?
just curious to see what your ride height is like.

thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 49248
Send a message via AIM to chuck's99
ya i'll try to get some pics up tomorrow if it will let me
Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 101563
where did you get these spring plates from?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 45529
foothilloffroad.com

There generic. You can find them anywhere. ruffstuff, polyperformance, balisticfab etc.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 101563
never mind i found it! didnt look hard enough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.