Pirate 4x4 banner

Nissan Pathfinder SAS project and 350 V8

30K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  nisord 
#1 · (Edited)
Nissan Pathfinder SAS project and 6.0l V8

So things have changed I explained it in post 18

So here it goes….My big build.:D This is a budget build and will take some to do. I can fly thru the free stuff but money is tight. I will post my cost up as well.

Some Information:
I bought a red 1991 Nissan Pathfinder. I plan on doing a solid axle swap on the front end with an Hp Dana 60 and a 14 bolt rear end. I want coils on all four corners (but we will see). I am going to run a Chevy 350 with a th400 transmission and a 203/205 doubler.

#30 ·
Funny that is what my inner guards look like but I've taken out the firewall as well due to sitting the motor 6" into the cab. I'm fitting a turboed VH45 into mine as wanted to stay Nissan. I also have Nissan auto and t-case and patrol axles. (basically Patrol drivetrain under D21 chassis and body)

What are you going to do suspension wise?

#33 ·
hey im new here but was reading into the chevy v8 into pathy. i will be speaking just to give you some ideas from me speeking from doing some other v-8 swaps into inports like 302 into 240sx, a 350 into supra, 4v 4.6 ford into 300zx, rotory into yota, 350 and 302 into yota 4x4 and others. the ford in the swaps had ended up being cheaper in the long run to complete and tended to also out preform not because one is better than the other but mainly due to where they decided to put things like distributers on the motor, and the final weight distribution. the chevys did end up having more hp or touq but that dont mean nothing if you cant get it to the ground. i noticed what you was going through. i dont know what you are wanting for the final rig but you may want to check into getting another pathy if you can find '86-'89. the pathys are about the lightest small suv out but them years are even lighter and a tad shorter not to say only having two doors makes the body a little stronger. but as far as the motor and axle doner truck you may want to try to find a late 80's or early 90's f250hd. they usualy still had straight axle front ends and they come with fi 351w with a 208 transfercase. that drive train will be much lighter than the axles and motor than you was going to run and you would only buy two trucks. on top of that there are several odd and end parts you can get to upgrade the drive train right out of the junk yard such as the double u-joint drive shaft from a bronco for smoother rotation and better u-joint life, larger mass air and throttel bodys from 460ci f350, headers from multi fords, front springs, and more. not to say the after market for like stronger 44dana axle shafts from moser and other stuff. bottom line is if you keep the over all truck weight down you will not need the big dana 60 axles to keep axles intack under it and you will not need the 6.0 engine to push it and it will do the same as if you had all that. if you start gatering up the weight lost like the 351w/302 is on average 25/125lbs lighter than 350. manual trans is same. the np208 is about 25lb less than the 205. the dana44 is about 65lb less than dana60 and 9" is about 80lb less than 10.25. then subtract springs size, amount of fluid carried, smaller radiator, better weight tranfer. bracing and so on and so on it really adds on. then on the other note main chevys parts are costing more. all this is the reason there are starting to be so many people doing ford swaps in like there toyotas now. plus you can change the spark plugs without removing the inner finders and you can change the distributer cap without removing the engine. lol! well i think ive said enough buthope this may open your eyes so that you can get the best bang for you buck. happy trailing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.