Pirate 4x4 banner

Nissan Pathfinder SAS project and 350 V8

30K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  nisord 
#1 · (Edited)
Nissan Pathfinder SAS project and 6.0l V8

So things have changed I explained it in post 18

So here it goes….My big build.:D This is a budget build and will take some to do. I can fly thru the free stuff but money is tight. I will post my cost up as well.

Some Information:
I bought a red 1991 Nissan Pathfinder. I plan on doing a solid axle swap on the front end with an Hp Dana 60 and a 14 bolt rear end. I want coils on all four corners (but we will see). I am going to run a Chevy 350 with a th400 transmission and a 203/205 doubler.

#8 ·
So I have been doing a lot of searching and have not been able to come up with an answer. I have a 1987 tbi 350 with all accessories. The truck that it’s going into is the 91 pathfinder. Is there any way to make this legal in Ca? I can sell it and Penney up to buy a newer engine but from what I have found that won’t fly in Ca. ether, so green sticker only? It would be nice to drive it around for fun but could be a trailer queen. Either way it’s still happening. :D

#6 ·
Probably not a new motor being that he said it was free.

The new chevy motors are slick man. Just watched my buddy put one in a YJ/buggy and it's smooth as silk. Again, not too cheap though, as those motors are still pretty new, and you have a few hundred in just getting the computer flashed to omit the smog stuff and some sensors.

#10 ·
This is what I found.
- The Engine has to be the same year or newer
- If the vehicle is a CA vehicle, you must
put a CA motor in it, not a 49 state federal
motor
- It must be from the same class, ie. a Jeep is
considered a "Light Truck", so I need a motor
from a "Light Truck". No Vette motor here.
- All of the emmisions equipment needs to be
there, "unmodified".

But that doesn't clear it up for me. Does the Pathfinder fit in the "light truck" V8 class? I can get a 350 out of a newer truck such as a 91 or newer. and keep all smog equipment. I dont know. I guess there is a smog reff 5 mins from work so I will see what they say about it.

#12 ·
Whats up path 88. For a minute there I thought you were getting out of nissans since I see your pathfinder for sale on craigslist all the time. Have you sold it yet? How hard was it to pull that motor? I am going to drop a used 3.0 from japan in mine over the summer because the 3.0 I have right now is getting tired.

1crazyxterra: Hey man I seen your xterra in Chico over Halloween parked down the street from my house. lol.

#13 ·
No I will always be in the driver seat of a Pathfinder. Heck I own 4 right now. I still have the white one I need it gone if you know anyone whose looking. I had a hell of a time getting that engine out. I should have just pulled the tranny with it. I had to wait tell I dropped the front diff for the room. :D

#15 ·
have you dropped the engine in yet?... just wondering how it will fit cause i'm thinkin of doin a v8 swap myself, got a 4.3 vortec but i'm thinkin of changing my mind.... any issues with the width of the frame? firewall mods? any info will help.... thanks....

#18 · (Edited)
I am bringing this post back up. I still have the truck but am going in a little diffrent way. I sold or traded every thing out when I got my house. Now that life has cooled off a bit. I am back to building my rig. I will post pics up soon. I have a gm 6.0l V8 out of an 2003. I have a sm465 trany with a np241 case out of a 1994 chevy. I plan on doing the box4rocks doubler with a ford np205 wich is like 5.33 to one. I bought a 1985 ford one ton and parted it out for the dana 60 and 10.25 rear end. I plan on running 40in mtrs.

I will do my best to keep on it this time. But you know how life is!

#20 ·
the sm465 came with the np241 mated up. It is alot cheaper and has a better gear reduction. I could not get my hands on a sm465 to 203 adapter and 203 for under 300 and i searched every were. I would have also been at 10 splines instead of the 32 spline it came with. I will get to the trany and transfercase suport, I know I will have to do something creative.

#26 ·
This sounds like a LOT of work. If I move out of a smog controlled county I would love to go Frankenstein on my Pathy as well. Keep up the photos. BTW how much did you pay for that 6.0?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.