Remove transmission on 720 4x4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3375
Remove transmission on 720 4x4

Spent a few hours yesterday scratching my head trying to figure out how to get this trans to clear a crossmember. Searches on the internet turned up only folks saying "its hard" and "better to pull the engine and trans together."

Well I cracked the code and thought I would post here in case anyone searches for it in the future. Vehicle is an '86 Nissan 720 King Cab 4x4 MT.

Technique: I put a bottle jack on blocks and jacked up the front of the engine from the front oilpan lip. This properly angled the trans for better maneuvering. So after the engine is angled, slip the trans back a little so it will spin freely on the input shaft. Rotate the trans 90 degrees so the output shaft and shifter housing will fit inside the recess in the cross member. Slide the trans further back such that the input shaft clears the pilot bearing, and push the rear end of the trans toward the drivers side. Should be able to manuever things around to wiggle it out now.

One other consideration... I took the bolts out of the crossmember that supports the rear of the front differential. This lets you force the diff down a few inches, gaining a few extra inches of wiggle room.

Hope this helps someone...
Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 45529
Thats basically how I did it. But I was running a 2wd trans. There 7" shorter so it helped. I would rotate the starter pocket out first. Push the back of the trans over the crossmember. It was a tight fit. The nice thing about the 620 and 720 2wd and 4wd is you can leave the tbars in. On the 86.5 up stuff you have to remove the tbars. And there crossmember. But then they come out easier. straight back and down.
Sponsored Links