720 Build. Full width, tons, dual cases, 38s - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 103298
720 Build. Full width, tons, dual cases, 38s

Its started

Basically, I have always had *cheap* projects. Everything is old, and under 1000 dollars. Always able to build something cool for next to nothing because someone thinks its junk. Well, this is no different. Guy I got it from thought it was junk, and his fiancee wanted it out of the house. Wanted 600, did some negotiating and rolled out with a perfectly good running rig for 300 bux.

All the parts I have to do this, I have acquired from my various International Scout/Travelall projects. So, total I have 300 dollars into this build, and plan to have it rolling on the new stuff in under 400. I am allowing 100 dollars for unforeseen costs like wires, oils, msc. nuts and bolts.

Some Details:

No Title
1983 Dautsen (sp) 720
472,xxx miles
6'' Custom (lol) body lift
35'' boggers on 15x7'' wheels
Runs almost perfect
300 dollars

In the build it will get:

Dual T/C setup
STock T/C + NP205 (acts as a doubler)
Corp 14 FF 4.10s
Dana 44 4.10s
38x15.5 **** Cepek F/C II's

The day I brought it come

It had a semi collapsed body lift (rear cab mounts fell thru, and the mid mounts didnt have any there. 6'' lift in the front, and sitting on the frame in the back.

I had a 3'' body lift sitting around from a previous project that would make a good substitute for this awful 6''. Not to mention the body lift bolts were welded to the nuts so I had to angle grind through them. That was a PITA.

I also dismounted the 35s and put on some 32s for a better drive-ability. I was at first just going to wheel it how it was, and kill it. I was going to color match it to my jeep, and flat tow it whereever I wanted to wheel. I put a good amount of time into the wheels to make them look good but it turns out they will only be temp. rollers since I had a shop spot offered to me.

Looks like this now

So tonight, I was busy stripping the electrical completely. Almost every wire came out. While I was busy doing that, my buddies decided to take a rattle can to it, and turned it into the following. Its definitely got character now. M

Anyways, the weirdest thing ive seen in the engine ever. Its a 4cyl Z motor that has 8 spark plugs and two coils. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT, at all. So I have some wiring reseach to do. I have been able to hook it all up to a toggle for the coil, and a push button for the ignition, and planned to do the same here but I dont understand how this sytem works yet. It cant be that different then the traditional system. We will see.

There was just to much of a rats nest to even begin sorting out the loose ends and splices that have gone bad. It just needs a new harness. Not to mention the brand new alt he had in it wont charge the battery so it needed fixed, but he wrapped everything in no less then 6 rolls of electical tape so it was easier to cut it all out and start over exactly how I want, and keep things how I know they should be.

I didnt have my good camera today, but this is what I could get of the weird engine thing

I dont understand how there are plugs on both sides of the cylinders, and a coil for both sets of plugs using the same distributor. I, or any of my friends have never seen anything like this before.

Well, the build begins. Enjoy. I plan to have it driving tomorrow again.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103298
This is my plan to wire up the Nissan to get it to run tomorrow. Should work ok I think.

Sorry, I made it in paint. Its a little hard to follow.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2009, 03:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 103298
And for the record, I know the D44 front is 3/4 ton. But I like saying I have tons better
Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 79897
Sweet work!

The duel plugs were to help the motor burn cleaner. One fires before the other the second plug is just to make sure the fuel burn is complete.

In the later models I think the computer shuts the lead bank down to retard the timing when needed....This allowed them to run a more agressive advance curve.
rwpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 103298
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpotter View Post
Sweet work!

The duel plugs were to help the motor burn cleaner. One fires before the other the second plug is just to make sure the fuel burn is complete.

In the later models I think the computer shuts the lead bank down to retard the timing when needed....This allowed them to run a more agressive advance curve.
Right on, thank you. This motor is carb'd so I don't think there is a computer around. If so.... my rewiring job will be hell and I am going to need a haynes. I hope its going to be as simple as I just drew it out.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 43495
my 85 had a puter under the driver seat.
472k miles? dang!
i think you'll want to ditch the drivetrain. slower than pondwater and the tranny in mine was always broke; it held up like glass.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 103298
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanrondo View Post
my 85 had a puter under the driver seat.
472k miles? dang!
i think you'll want to ditch the drivetrain. slower than pondwater and the tranny in mine was always broke; it held up like glass.
Well, 84 and newer were FI, right? So, they got a computer, mine doesn't.

I got it running today, but didnt use that exact diagram. I will draw something up later. Tomorrow I am puttin in a full day, will get real camera pics, and it should be ready for a minor wheeling trip tomorrow.

Somehow fried the fuel pump I guess, it refuses to work so I will need to get an inline one.

And on the issue of trannys breaking; it should go so slow I wont have the HP to turn the tires hard enough to break them. I plan on having enough gear reduction to just creep along everywhere.

Last edited by ArrizX; 12-15-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 45529
The is a fuel pump relay near the glovebox that shuts off the fuel pump if there is no oil pressure.

Only the CA models had a ecu for the computer controlled carbs. 3/85 (86 models) had the z24i. The tbi version.

Yes both plugs fire most of the time. The rotor has 2 outputs. You will notice the power loss if only one side is working.

I have allot of wiring diagrams that may help here:

http://nissannut.com/projects/z24i_fuel_injection

This is when I ditched the carb for the TBI.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 103298
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissannut View Post
The is a fuel pump relay near the glovebox that shuts off the fuel pump if there is no oil pressure.

Only the CA models had a ecu for the computer controlled carbs. 3/85 (86 models) had the z24i. The tbi version.

Yes both plugs fire most of the time. The rotor has 2 outputs. You will notice the power loss if only one side is working.

I have allot of wiring diagrams that may help here:

http://nissannut.com/projects/z24i_fuel_injection

This is when I ditched the carb for the TBI.
Right on, thanks for the link.

So here is the thing. I pulled the entire harness thinking 'oh its old and carbed, shouldnt need anything complicated on it!". In the shop I had the fuel pump working after we pulled the entire harness and I made my own. I didnt have the two power wires on the distrubter hooked up correctly, and it didnt fire up (BUT!), the fuel pump worked!

So, I had to move it outside for a night. I get back the next day, hook up the wires how they should be, and the truck fired right up. It ran for a second or two and pulled the gas thru the line and I looked at the filter.... when it stopped running there was no more fuel.

Then I notice the fuel pump wasnt running. It was ran straight to a toggle that ran with the coils. I turn on the coils and the fuel pump at the same time to make it start, with a push button hooked up to the starter.

It just.... stopped working out of no where. And no I did not leave it on because I pulled the battery over the night.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 96631
Send a message via Yahoo to FrenchChili
ditch the carb (stock carbs are awful) and fuel system! You can make your own propane kit really cheap. A good prop carb, reg, actuator, prop safety valve can go for less than $200. It will save you tons of vacuum line/fuel headacks.

FYI each spark plug bank have a different heat requirement (one side runs hotter). Check the old plugs that they are the right ones, it will run better.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 103298
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchChili View Post
ditch the carb (stock carbs are awful) and fuel system! You can make your own propane kit really cheap. A good prop carb, reg, actuator, prop safety valve can go for less than $200. It will save you tons of vacuum line/fuel headacks.

FYI each spark plug bank have a different heat requirement (one side runs hotter). Check the old plugs that they are the right ones, it will run better.
Right on man, good things to know, and def something to check into.

Yeah, ive noticed the stock stuff sucked. We ran over a small tree that was a bit to hard on it and we hurt the nissan, and it wont start now. It drove away till we noticed it busted the radiator, but after towing it back it wont turn on.

Here are some more pix

In the garage, and wiring and then outside, and a few on the trail suck in a hole, maybe a vid if I can upload it. It rails.

Aired down around 10ish or something

Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 103298
Got stuck in some concrete hole, it was like a garbage pit lol

Then, there is a junk trailer house thing that my buddy tried to run it thru..... didnt work

Here I am just assessing

And here my exhaust is warming up, and there is one unwelded section under it. Cold morning when we did this, lol

And finally it in its garage spot, now waiting for my buddies plasma cutter and my trailer full of goodies

Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 43495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Well, 84 and newer were FI, right? So, they got a computer, mine doesn't.

I got it running today, but didnt use that exact diagram. I will draw something up later. Tomorrow I am puttin in a full day, will get real camera pics, and it should be ready for a minor wheeling trip tomorrow.

Somehow fried the fuel pump I guess, it refuses to work so I will need to get an inline one.

And on the issue of trannys breaking; it should go so slow I wont have the HP to turn the tires hard enough to break them. I plan on having enough gear reduction to just creep along everywhere.
The 86 720model was made for 1/2 year, it was fuel inject. the others are not but just look under the driver seat for the 'puter. Good luck with the project. i'd love to have another one of those trucks.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 103298
Well, as it starts

How its going to be set up, this will be about ride height. If nothing else, possibly higher. Way higher then I thought would happen, and not at all practical.

But man will it be badass
Old 01-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 103298
Rear end is completely mounted now.

Just for a size comparison

It seems..... less impressive in pictures.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 136471
God, that looks like some super ghetto-fab
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 123210
sasfrontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 103298
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardbysled View Post
God, that looks like some super ghetto-fab
My budget is zero dollars.

I'm building it for free