indexing torsion bars - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 140311
indexing torsion bars

I have reasearched this topic a bunch but cant seem to get a strait asnswer. Can someone please shed some light? Ive got the 3"AC lift kit AKA "budget lift" Essentially its an add aleaf in the rear with longer shocks. A arms in the front, ball joints Torsion bars and longer shocks. Got full 3" in the rear, wow that sounds kind of nasty if you think about it... Cranked the torsion bars to get the full 3" in the front. The ride was so rough i had to lower the front by one half inch. I now have almost an inch between the bump stops and the A arms. My fronty sits ass high. When i origanally raised the front i had the nutz on the adjuster bolts pinned all the way and a quarter of an inch between the A arms and the bump stops. Here is the question, If I "re index" the torsion bars can i raise the truck back up to the full three or will i get the same results, ROUGH ride. I'm not a pussy, I hit a pot hole and the wheel hop almost throughs the truck side ways.....
nissanintahoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 92978
Unfortunately, if you reindex, the ride is still going to suck. It's about suspension geometry, not spring tension that is doing it. I did this on my VehiCROSS, and the ride was very stiff and unforgiving. When you reindex, and or crank the bars, you are putting the a-arms at an ever higher angle. When the A-arms are flat(no lift) and the suspension cycles, the arms want to move up and down more or less. With the arms at a high angle(cranked/lifted) the arms have to push the wheels outwards(sideways) in order to move upwards. That's where you are getting the shitty handling. Also your CV boots will likely get eaten up quickly. I was going through a set every couple months.
Ascinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 140311
reindexing

OK that makes a lot of sense. So in a nut shell. Reindexing the Torsion bars would not help me? Its all about the angle of the UCA's? Having almost an inch between the bump stops equals better ride and more down travel? Live with it or SAS it? See your from Reno, Wheel much? Thanx Fred
nissanintahoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 92978
I haven't been wheeling much lately. I went up to Hobart reservoir about a month ago and broke a rear shock tab off the axle of my Patrol(poor design). I haven't fixed it yet, because I'm planning on doing a spring over at the same time. Probably going up to 35's and need to redo the drivelines as well as notching the crossmember. My real wheeler is getting major work done HERE. So in answer to your other question, SAS it!!!
Ascinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.