Pirate 4x4 banner

New member 86 720 4x4

7K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Great Dane 
#1 ·
Been into datsuns for a while, picked up this 86 nissan 720 4x4 KC. Probably overpaid, but w/e

Previous owner said it probably has a bad head gasket, i think so! Didn't see any water in the rad up top, didn't check the bottom. Here is a video, and some pictures... 223k on the odometer.. Got a head gasket kit coming tomorrow, ill slap it on real quick and run it, see if that cures it. If not, i found a motor for 50 bucks i can rebuild and throw in there

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Truck is clean, and he drove 2 hours to deliver it for me haha. Paid 800 for it. Got the head off, and it had no gasket between 1 & 2. Cleaned everything up, put the head on and the damn wedge popped out :( Got new timing stuff on order from rockauto, just waiting for that to get here. Then i can throw it back together.

#8 · (Edited)
Haha, thanks

I am interested in a sas swap. I have some decent welding skills under my belt, a new lincoln wire feed, and a new stick welder. What i dont have, is the knowledge to do this, or balls to do it myself.

The bed, no thanks. I dont like the looks of them bobbed. I will need to use this as a truck. I had an 85 KC 4x4 wheeler, did fine for me in the trails. I have a few pictures of it...

I just orderd new timing parts, should be here friday. going to try and work on it some then in between the rain. My datsun 521 sold and is being taken away saturday, and my datsun 510 is being bought that day too.

Heres some pictures of my 85 4x4. The bottom pictures are when i first got it. Then i wheeled it, and found some trees, and even played bumper cars along the way...

#19 ·
hey bud i have a single cab short bed 85 nissan 720 4x4 that i have solid axled i love it u should go with a 3 link set up for suspension, im fine tuning mine right now and ill let u know when i finaly get done with it, i am located in Tri Cities WA if u have questions just let me know ill try to help i know its frustraiting that no one has a nissan or any parts for em ive been dealing with it for 2 years now.

#10 ·
My parts arrived, soon as i get a chance to finish it up, shell be on the road (hopefully lol... ) forgot i gave my buddy a spare napz 2.4 motor, guess if this doesn't work out ill just rebuild that one and throw it in. need to do something fast, im without wheels!

#11 ·
Izzo, i would not change a thing, I think it's great the way it is.

#12 ·
What do you mean? The white one is long gone, the blue 720 is what i got now. Only thing im changing right now is the timing parts, head gasket. Later on i want some better tires (they're almost bald now, so its due for something new)

Going to get some carpet in there, and do a little rust repair here and there. I'd like a different color on it, maybe gunmetal gray.

#13 ·
Well crap

The bright link is marked on the V mark on the crank, the other bright link is on #2 on the cam sprocket, the dizzy shaft is at the right spot. Got it all together, cranked it over and nothing. I double checked everything, still nothing. Pulled a spark plug, set it on the motor, cranked it and didn't get a spark. Theres no power at the coils now (but i didn't touch any wiring)

I temp hooked it up to the battery, and cranked it over. Got spark now, but still no start, doesn't even act like its trying to start..

#18 ·
Nobody responds to my thread, but oh well!

Its fully timed, removed AC compressor. Its received a full tune up. I need a hose for the power steering, shit leaks... soon as i can find some bigger tires, im going to get them on there...

Got 2" lift blocks for it, just need to get it done!

#20 ·
I have an 85 nissan 720 that has the same problem that yours did. I got all headwork done and new head gasket valve train and cam. its timed perfect but its not starting at all only hass spark on exaust side. New coils plug wires, spark plugs, cap and rotor. Still nothing. anyways what did you end up doing to get your truck back up and going? Help would be greatly appreciated thanks

#23 ·
hey Izzo ... I just joined here today... Im Steve g from Ratsun... i had too many snags with a few gods over there and got banned... The crazy part was i had just finished the writeup and pics about lifting a 720... when i sent it i got banhammered.. oh well. Nice truck man! i had to laugh when i saw your truck here too

#26 ·
Hey Steve! That sucks man. Guess they couldn't handle it haha. Oh well, its not that great of a place anymore. I think i go there more out of habit now then for useful information. Cant hardly tell its a car forum.

I ended up selling the 4x4. It was a cool truck, and ill get another one sometime. Just not the right time for it.

#27 ·
Spark

Hey I know this is an old thread, but.. If you have everything hooked up correctly and still only have spark on one side check the igniter it is under the cap on the distrib with the eight plugs they are separated into two sides unlike a yota if it goes out nothing happens. Ps its cheaper to buy a dis. from napa than to get just the igniter.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.