Pirate 4x4 banner

Which Axle?

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  alexrex20 
#1 ·
I have a 94 hardbody 4 cyl 5 spd. I would like to do a SAS but not sure what axle to use. I'm not a very hardcore wheeler but I do like play in the mud and ride some trails occasionally. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Any help is gladly appreciated.

#9 ·
you'll want 4.88s at the bare minimum, if you're running 35s on the stock 4cyl and want to keep any kind of remotely respectable highway performance.

do you know what rear axle your truck has? H190 or C200? either way, they suck. if you had an H233B, it could handle 35s just fine.

to do it right, you could do D44 front and D44 or 9in rear. a D60 on the back would be great, but you could get away with smaller. since you're starting from scratch, you really just need to figure out what wheel bolt pattern you want to run, and which axles you can easily find with those lug patterns.

you could use jeep wagoneer axles front/rear. they're 6x5.5 so you could use your current nissan wheels. or you could do ford d44/9in and you'd have 5x5.5. or you could do ford f250 hpd44 and then you'd have plenty of rear axles to pick from that would match the ford 8-lug.

figure out how high you want to go, what size tires you REALLY want to run (trust me, you always want to go bigger), and then go junkyard scrounging and check craigslist and local forums regularly.

#15 ·
Good question...will most likely keep the rear that I have. Only reason to change anything there would be to go to a full float. My front 44 ain't gonna last long the way I've been treating it - even with RCV's.

Good thing this is Pirate cause we are jacking the hell outta this guys thread :grinpimp:

#16 ·
Don't worry about jacking the thread. I've been reading all the forums trying to learn a lil bit. This is my first 4x4, so all this is foreign to me. I am learning a lot from everybody on here and by bugging the hell out of my local off road shop.

#20 ·
What is the gearing on a Waggy axle? Do most people re-gear these axles immediately prior to installation? I'm in NEED of a SAS swap on my 1986.5 Nissan Hardbody and I'm going to go out looking for these axles. I wanted to just run the front axle right now due to costs. My plan is to run a coilover with a radius arm. Also I was thinking of running a 00+ toyota axle with the selectable locker instead of the waggy axle. I'm hoping more to prerun this truck then crawl it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.