Pirate 4x4 banner

whos got a nissan titan??

17K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  samurai.guy 
#1 ·
Im looking at buying a nissan titan sooon....still debating but i like the truck! who has experience with them and can tell me the truth about them! gas mpg, towing, reliablity, quality etc... ?? thanks

#2 ·
I have on 06.
MPG = 12.6
Reliability = Good
Quality = Good (I like the interior a lot)
Towing = Good for a buggy on a car trailer. At the max towing weight it feels uncomfortable.(sway control and load leveling installed as well)
The Motor has plenty of power and with the towing package its never overheated the motor or trans.
Headers on older models crack and have to be replaced. (Normally covered up to 80k now)
I like the truck but should've bought a 3/4-1 ton truck.

#4 ·
That rumor has been around so long (in one form or another) that I will believe it when I see it. I remember the baby powerstroke rumors in the Ford 5+ years ago. I personally saw on of the 4.5 Duramax in a GM truck back in 08. If it is coming to market you will know about it long before it comes. I ain't holding my breath based on one little reasearch project that made the news.

What year Titan are you looking at? The first couple years had teething issues. New product in a new plant. But they have been around long enough that they are as debugged as any other vehicle mass produced.

Although I don't own a Titan (have had a Frontier and currently an Xterra on the same platform), I have a few co-workers I know well who do. Gas mileage is in the teens and all over the place. Depends on 2WD or 4WD and a lot on how it is driven. I don't know any that tow at the rated capacity, but I they all tow with them. I would guess 5000-6000 pound loads from what I have seen. The one hauling a derby car into the mountains was talking about passing his buddy on a grade who was driving a cummings and a similer trailer. And the Dodge wasn't sandbagging, it just wasn't pulling as well as the Titan (they are a little competitive on the road and the track)

#5 ·
well its a matter of what i can afford .... im just a student in college soo ill proably be looking for the cheapest possible soo hopefuly around an 05 or something...and there rated at 9300 lbs......just trying to get a feel for what ill be getting myself into as far as replacing warn out stufff lol
thanks for the input tho!

#6 · (Edited)
I have an 05. 86k miles and still pushing... had to replace leaf shackles recently. Mine is an SE crew cab with tow package and cargo mounting system in the bed. It pulls and tows fine. I've not tried to put my CJ on 44s on a trailer and pull it though. Doubt I'd feel very good about that. I average between 14 and 15 mpg. Most everyone says a good K&N and exhaust will free up some airflow and get you another couple mpgs. Just for giggles I roll raced 2 buddies of mine a few weeks back. One in an acura RSX-s and the other in a new VW GTi... I walked them both. Truck has balls.

stay away from the 04s for sure... they have rear end, tcase, and tranny overheating issues. 05s seem to have worked out most of those issues. I'd search for one with the towing package. You get the towing mirrors, cooler on the tranny. Even if you don't plan to tow, that tranny cooler is a must with these trucks.

#7 ·
yeah i definetly plan on towing with it! just have a little sami right now sooo im not too worried, but im sure you wouldnt have a problem with cj...two rating seems to be pretty good up in the 9k`s .....and thanks for the advice on the 04s...ill definelty be looking for an 05 with big tow and hopefuly the offroad package!....anything to know about those offroad packages?? and ive driven afew and i love how they haul ass!

#9 ·
Ive got an 06 2wd and love it. Bought it brand new and it has 139k on it now and still runs like a top. Plenty of power and fun to drive. I have had about 7k behind it before and it did just fine. I usually get around 17-18 mpg, depending on how heavy my foot is, and have gotten as good as 22 on long road trips.

#13 · (Edited)
My dad has one and pulling my Patrol on a trailer at 75 with ac on and against 40mph wind it got 6.5 mpg. But it had no problems even uphill. I drove it and have got a little over 18 unloaded ac on 70mph. So I guess it depends on what you pull. My dad claims he averages 14mpg but idk how he is driving it, I know he lets it idle a lot and just drives around the yard. It seems like a nice truck I was gonna buy it from him till he decided he did not want to get rid of it. It had the offroad package so it has 33s so I think 18mpg is pretty good considering what it is. If you pull a lot all the time I would suggest a diesel so you would get better fuel economy but if you only pull ever so often it is prolly a good truck to have. Titan with the Offroad or Pro-4x package = Winning!

#14 ·
Ok, here goes......

I have an '05 KC 4x4 SE, Big Tow/OR pkg that I bought new in March of 2005. Had 80 miles on it when I picked it up. Has 202k+ on it now, still pulls strong as when new, shifts same as when new, and has had no engine, transmission, t-case or front diff work done. Changed oil every 3k like clockwork. Not as religious with the other fluids though (1st trans flush @ 160k - almost looked like new, 1st t-case fluid @ 140k, when I also put a new Stillen aluminum radiator in it and changed the coolant for the 1st time). Front diff oil twice (just did 2nd time last week), rear diff oil every 30-40k since about 110k (original rear went @ 61k - broken spider gears, replaced under warranty with "upgraded" 4-spider rear - just now starting to get some whine due to worn bearings). Both front hubs - left @ 112k, right @ 165k, all u-joints (rears twice, getting ready to replace all again due to slight wear & 1 cap won't take grease). Recently replace r/s outer tie rod end. Radiator cap when I did radiator, battery at about the 4 yr mark. The only bulbs I've ever had to replace due to being blown were the ones at the tailgate and the puddle lamps in the door panels. Replaced 1 broken AC vent in dash when the kids broke it. Replaced driver's door window motor due to worn out brushes (if I could've gotten brushes I coulda fixed myself real cheap).

Brakes were done by dealer under warranty until 36 month mark (about 90k) due to recall policy for brake shudder - I've done front rotrs twice myself, and front pads twice myself - rears were replaced by dealer at 90k when they did last "warranty" brake job. Fixed broken tailpipe/muffler joint twice myself (rotted out, I welded adapter on & used clamp) - keep in mind also that my truck spent the majority of it's life in upstate NY. All the exhaust is original except that. I do have a cracked r/s manifold - been leaking since 75k, but I never took it in cuz I figured it was out of warranty - it has finally gotten to the point that the CEL is on now. A couple EVAP solenoids, and 4 sets of tires (OEM BF Goodrich tires don't last, switched to Toyo Open Countrys and just recently Firestones, stock size). Front calipers at about 180k due to binding pistons.

Serpentine belts every 60-75k, spark plugs every 75k, air filters as needed. Did tweak a rear shackle early on, but that was b/c I severely overloaded the truck and went thru a ditch (I bet I had 2500 lbs on it). I routinely pull 3500 lbs of MX bikes/quads on my 12' trailer, used to pull an 18' flatbed full of quads/bikes & camping/racing gear, have pulled an 18' flatbed w/Firebird on it no problems (prolly 6k or so, trailer & car). Towed a 30,000+ lb dumptruck about 200' in the snow in 4-low w/rear diff locked. Got as high as 17mpg when new, on the highway, @ 75mph cruise. Average about 14.5mpg in city w/no AC, 12.5 in snow w/4WD on, 10-11 towing thru PA w/3500-4000 lbs + full bed of gear @70-75mph.

Never left me stranded, even when rear diff went - I drove it for almost 2 weeks making noise before I took it to dealer. I don't baby the truck per se, but I certainly don't beat it into the ground either. Has been off-road, but not heavy wheeling or anything major. IMHO, one of the best trucks I've ever had - I know for a fact that a domestic truck would've had more problems - every person I know with a domestic truck has had more issues at earlier mileages than I have. The only major issue I've had is the rear end - but since replaced, no repeat failure. Plus, I may have caused that with the dump-truck pulling deal anyway (rear diff failed just weeks after that).

My complaints with the truck are mostly related to my desire for a 3/4-1-ton truck (I want a 5th wheel or large trailer, but the Titan is rated for 9400 lbs), and the fuel mileage when towing (though the diesels today aren't much better until the loads get real heavy or the hills get steep). For a 1/2-ton, it rocks. As far as the comment about getting a diesel for towing, I'll say this - I've done the math, and unless you NEED the towing capacity of a diesel due to the weight of what you are towing, it does not financially work out any better having the diesel compared to a gas UNLESS you keep the truck for over 300k, and even then, it can easily swing the other way if you need a major engine repair on the diesel (like a turbo, or injectors) as the parts are very expensive (in comparison, if you had an F350 with the 6.8 V-10, a FORD reman engine w/warranty runs under 4k. Compare to the 6.0/6.4 PowerStroke injectors @ $300 each x8, plus labor, and you still have a motor with how many miles on it? I'll take the new V-10 with ZERO miles for my money). So, it all depends on what you want. For me, I can't swing a new truck anytime soon, so the Titan stays for a while. Who knows, by the time I can, I may just keep her and do a rebuild/upgrade instead. She is paid for, after all. Who wants a $700/month payment anyway (on a $60k truck). I've no doubt that the truck is capable of more towing capacity if the frame is reinforced, brakes/axles upgraded, and suspension is upgraded. The engine and trans can handle more, and an overdrive unit and supercharger could help with both increased power/towing and improved mileage.

My advice? Look for an '07 or newer if you can (as they had the 4-pinion rear diff from the factory), one with low miles, 1 owner, and maintenance history that shows it's been well cared for. It may cost more up front, but it's money well spent IMO. Get as close to that "ideal" truck as you can, and I think you'll be more than happy. Good luck, and I hope this info helped you, and/or someone else!

#15 · (Edited)
I had an 06 4x4 SE crew cab, bought used in 08 with 15k, I traded it for a 2010 with 61k on the meter.
Front brakes seemed to go every 30k and shuddered always. Original Goodyear tires wore out at about 30k, Firestone AT replacements were done when I traded it, exhaust broke at the same flange they all seem to, passenger's side window stopped working when I traded it, had a fuel canister/solenoid crap out, had a ball joint fail inspection. Front seat foam fails around the side bolsters
Fuel mileage was 13-16 generally. Towed well, comfortable and spacious, powertrain is well balanced and generally strong... AFTER 08. Post-08 trucks have better brakes, better rear end, a little more power and the option for a longer bed with the crew cab and a 32 gallon fuel tank.
I'll add more later...
don't let me forget.

The '06 and my Jeep-

The '06 and the tractor with bushhog-

the '10 and the Jeep-

#16 ·
I have an 06 KC Off-Road Pkg Titan. I think it tows the lighter loads pretty well. 0-4K in weight is just about right. I have towed a 4,000+ camper, and an ATV trailer and the gas mileage went to shit. 8-9MPG.

Towing the ATV's to Utah from Ohio as pictured I averaged about 12-14 MPG.

Mine is the "off-road" package so it comes with the 3.36 rear diff, the electronic locker, and the Rancho shocks. I think they switched to the "pro-4X" package in 08 or so. Pretty much the same thing as the off road package. I have a Bullydog Programmer, Magnaflow Exhaust, Nismo CAI, and the 2 degree timing advance, and it is pretty fast for a 1/2 ton truck.

Overall I enjoy the truck, but I have put a ton of money in it. It just is kinda nickel and dime kinda stuff. I had the manifolds crack, and that got replaced (luckily) by the 80K emissions warranty. I have a check engine light on at all times, which is either the gas cap, or an evap valve. I spend $100 a couple months back to fix this, but now it is back on throwing the same code. I have a leaky power steering pump. Put fluid in it every couple of months.
My TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) kept going out. Finally, when I got my new rims I just took the sensors out and I am just putting up with the light. Here are a few pictures.

Out in colorado - pre lift.

It is not to bad off road. Elephant Hill - Moab Utah

A few off roading videos...
‪NIssan Titan on Elephant HIll Part 1‬‏ - YouTube
‪Nissan Titan on Elephant Hill Canyonlands National Park Utah‬‏ - YouTube
‪Lead King Basin Creek Crossing in a Nissan Titan‬‏ - YouTube

#17 ·
Heres mine

Attachments

#18 ·
here is my new Dana 60 rear end. I got it from Arizona Differential 1800.00 shipped and it has a limited slip differential. this guy does great work.

#21 ·
I have one of the dreaded 2004 and haven't had any of the issues with trans, tcase, or rear end. Trans does like to downshift on small grades, I hold a little throttle to prevent. I have had the manifolds replaced under warranty. Also a leaky front end seal. I do currently have the check engine light on, but have been told it's the gas cap not sealing. I have had it scanned and removed a couple of times and replaced gas cap. Still comes on every once in a while. Brakes have been replaced twice, once by previous owner with oem rotors and they started shuttering again so replaced recently. Currently needs drivers side window motor replaced as it's weak. Currently has 70k and going strong. I do not tow often, but do haul fishing equipment and canoe reg during summers.

#22 ·
So did you end up getting a titan? :)

My '08 CC LE has been okay to me. Bought it used with 57k and a month later had to have the front end replaced. It's lifted on 35's so mpg is :barf: I drive it pretty hard though. A week ago I took it to Uwharrie and it did suprisingly well. Two days later I drove it across the country. I have a couple leaks appearing and the transmission is acting up a bit, but I'd take this thing anywhere. I get a lot of compliments on it.

#23 ·
ya i did end up buying one, i bought a a 2011 titan pro4x brand new. fucken love the truck! definitely wish it was abit more fuel efficient and stuff but its really not too bad. Pull any loads i put on it like nothing. definitely hope they come out with the cummins soon tho ! havent gotten any real mods yet other than a leveling kit, but i do have some plans. great all around truck, i just hope they update it lots when the new one comes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.