Pirate 4x4 banner

i need ideas for my 1981 datsum build

13K views 56 replies 11 participants last post by  Datsuntruggy 
#1 ·
I just bought my datsun 720 4x4 last Saturday so I'm just getting started!!!! Can I put a lift on the ifs? When you do a walk though do I need to weld the cab and bed togethere? Tell me some links or post to look at pictures are nice too show ur rig

#13 · (Edited)
I just picked up my 63" Chevy leafs springs today! $40.00 for the set and they pulled them for me!!!:flipoff2: Can't beat that unless u get them for free but anyways. Do yall run that overload leaf or take it off and just run the mean and the othere two leafs for a total of three leafs????

#16 ·
I just picked up my 63" Chevy leafs springs today! $40.00 for the set and they pulled them for me!!!:flipoff2: Can't beat that unless u get them for free but anyways. Do yall run that overload leaf or take it off and just run the mean and the othere two leafs for a total of three leafs????

Leave them on...without them they will develop a bend right at the edge of your spring perch and eventually break. They also reduce the axle wrap.

#18 · (Edited)
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11521601&posted=1#post11521601
this is my build of a 521, slightly older with more sexy lines, but to each their own, this is only a partial build i have none of the new updates up yet. but should get you started. i stongly suggest that you BRACE THE FRAME!!!! datsun/nissan have super weak frame design that if you bump in to things.... eg: rocks, trees, more trees, other trucks... you will peal the frame apart and twist it, i braced it 1/4 inch 2x2 angle and still bent it. i was doing 4th gear high-high but non the less. what engne are you putting in there?

#24 ·
Measure the distance from the bolt in the front hanger to the bolt in the back shackle when it is laying completely back and flat against the frame.

You want to make that distance about 2 inches longer then the spring when it is flat (not arched). Everyone calls them 63 inch springs but you will find that they are actually 64" or 62" eye to eye when flat (it depends on what you took them out of).

So you want the distance when the shackle is back and flat against the frame to be 64" or 66" depending on your springs.

#26 ·
I got the othere side layed out! Maybe this weekend ill get the bed back on to get the weight on the rear then ill lay out my shackle placement. What do yall think about running Johnny joints in the frame for my shackle mounts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.