Pirate 4x4 banner

The Big Frontier Project.. 4-Link, 2.5ton, LS1, and lots of tread!

12K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  tranzfr 
#1 · (Edited)
I am finishing a project started by a buddy of mine. He lost interest and and needed money, I liked the way it turned out so far so I decided to make it my own.

Specs:
03 Nissan Frontier extended cab

Tube drop cage laddered frame

Wishbone 4-link suspension

16" travel Radflo 2.5 nitrogen shocks

2.5 ton narrowed rockwells

Hydro steering

All aluminum LS1
carb converted roughly 400hp now hopefully bumped to over 500hp after
my wallet recovers.. Also possible addition of a little blue bottle :)

Turbo 400 transmission

Divorced np205 Transfercase

24x15 custom steel wheels

14.9x24 BKT r-2 tractor tires (measure roughly 46" tall just under 4" deep tread)

I'm sure more will change as the build progresses you know how these things work..

Yes I'm aware its not a "rock crawler" Florida doesn't have rocks..

See less See more
#4 ·

Was originally intended for my 73 Camaro project but plans change I guess..

Progress

Unknown fact the 03 Nissan frontier has the smallest engine compartment I've ever seen in a truck. No room for radiator, no room for exhaust, and barely room for the LS1 I may have to set the fire wall back and trim the bumper for the water pump pulley just to shoe horn that thing in there..

#5 ·

Parts still needed:
Intake
Carb
Ignition control box
fuel pump
fuel cell
all plumbing
shifter
bump stops
limit straps
drive shafts
steering wheel
a/c?
radio?

Things left to do:
Motor and transmission mounts
rebuild/lower shock mounts
mount transfercase
bump stops
exhaust
mount fuel cell/pump
battery mounts
windshield/windshield pillar
wiper motor
mount radiator
pull points front and rear
wire and plumb

I'm sure I'm missing things..

#7 ·
Just to simplify and stay some what close to budget.. I'm a flat lander carb will work fine here and get me to the power level I'm going for.. Once you get into injectors, harness, fuel pumps and regulators, custom computer programming, etc, etc, etc the fuel injection got too far outta budget.. Not to mention with all the water involved I'd much rather have less electronics not more..

#8 ·
Yeah I was very happy to find these tires.. They are perfect.. not too tall, alot of tread, not real heavy, and actually a fairly soft rubber for ag tires.. They weren't bad price either.. Though the tire guy swore they didn't exist until they came in.. Most other 14.9x24 r-2 are over 50" tall

#13 ·
Engine and trans are sitting in it, ended up with a lot more room then expected, looks like a full size air cleaner will clear the hood, I can lower the front 6 inches, and with a little work I'll be able to run the radiator up front instead of dealing with plumbing it to the bed like I though I was going to have to do.. No mods to transmission tunnel or fire wall needed.. Tossed the cheap block hugger headers and ordered some much nice much bigger clipster fenderwell headers that will hopefully be in tomorrow once I know where those are going to sit I'll be able to start rebuilding the front shock mounts..

#14 ·

They always seem to look bigger inside..

Motor and trans are gonna need to come back out but I tossed the bumper/grill and hood on her to map out all my clearances..

Not to mention I've been dieing to see how its gonna look..

#19 ·
Frontier still to do list..
rebuild front upper and lower shock mounts
rebuild rear upper shock mounts
mount fuel cell
mount fuel pump and plumb fuel system
mount shifter
finish mounting the motor and trans
finish steering
mount transfer case
build driveshafts
wire motor/entire truck
install and plumb radiator and fan (not even ordered yet)
bumpstops and limit straps (not ordered yet)
finish headers
replace driver side A pillar and install windsheild and wipers
Gauges and senders (not yet ordered)
install reverse manual valve body and 3800 stall converter (not yet ordered)
new 1330 transmission yoke (not yet ordered)
install, plumb, and rejet NOS system
pray the carb I stole off my camaro isn't too much for this LS1
fabricate STRONG pull points front and rear

I know there's so much I'm missing but even the stuff I'm remembering is overwhelming knowing it all has to be done and tested and redone by the 2nd week in August!! Wish me luck.. I should of started sooner..

#20 ·
I like it...........but a carb:shaking:

#22 ·
Thanks man. Hey if the only thing I'm getting crap for on the pirate forum on a truck like this is the fact I didn't go fuel injected thats pretty much a win. You said it well mpg and drivability are nonissues. And if I have an off camber fuel problem in Florida it pretty much means it's on it's roof. Lol. The funny thing is I stepped it up and ran an all aluminum coil per cyl ls1 but if I had just dropped a regular heavy all steel sbc like every other shmuck no one would of even mentioned it. Lol.

#23 ·
Got some parts in, got one of the headers finished, hopefully I'll have most of the steering done tonight still waiting on some stuff from poly that I've had orders for going on 2 weeks now.. Its time for some progress..

#25 ·
Yay more parts!!

Gotta think outta the box to step your game up sometimes.. This should help that turn and a half it takes to keep these hydro steer trucks in a straight line when your really ripping it..

cute little guy aint it.. ;-)

#26 ·
Cool looking truck. It looks like you could have mounted your air shocks further outboard on the axles for more stability. Plus the lower shock mounts on the front should have been rotated 90 deg. (so the bolt is perpendicular to the axle tube). I can't see the other mounts they may be the wrong direction too. But, It probably won't cause any issues given this is a mud truck.

#29 ·
I apologize for the slow build.. Fast as schedule and wallet will allow..

Finished that just to decide that the dash is going in the garbage..

Plans changed, no more radflos..

Oh yeah!! This sh!t just got real!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.