Pirate 4x4 banner

new to nissan d21 and sas

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  redbird00 
#1 ·
i've had this '92 nissan d21 for a little over a year, its the 2.4L with a 5 speed, 4x4, pretty much stock with 31" at's. it was going to be just a 'back and forth' to work truck, but as always things change.

right now i've got a full size crawler, and just dont use it as much as i want to, so i'm wanting to sell it and sas the nissan for a multi-purpose vehicle. i want to use it to be semi-streetable, haul smaller items(read keep its usablility as a truck), haul smaller trailers, take it to the hunting lease, and still be able to wheel it pretty hard. i know this is a tall order but maybe i'm just greedy.

i'd like to sas it, the waggy d44 front looks to be a good choice, should i keep the stock rear? hb223 right? or go with the waggy amc20, another rear d44, or ford 9", or full width tons? are dodge d60's a good option? also i think i'd like to run 4.56-5.13 gears and 37-38" tires.

i'm looking for something with of course cost in mind, but also usability, and strength. should i go leafs in front or 3 link; i just want to keep it simple? i've been through the nissannut site and read countless threads here on pirate4x4. not really looking to go doubler right now, maybe later. i'd also like to stay as simple as possible, i've got decent fab skills but i'm no custom rig builder, so the easier the better.

just looking for some straight forward opinions and advice, sure hope i dont get flamed too bad for being a nissanoob. thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
what are stock gears for the 4 cyl? i have no problem going to a different ratio. u think lower? 5.38 or whatever options are lower for those axles. only thing is, it still needs to be drivable on the street, and decent rpm at 70ish.

stock motor, probably intake upgrade, ignition upgrade, but internally stock. stock trans 5 speed, and stock tcase. and after thinking about it i'm leaning more towards the 35"-37" tire size range.

#4 · (Edited)
i've done some more looking around and didn't find much. but i'm looking at doing dodge d60's front and rear and running h1's with 36" goodyear rt2's. and i guess 4 linking the front with this type of arms, long arm style.

the dodge arm mounts and the nissan frame are within 2" of each other and it seems like a fairly easy option to do, especially with heims. gotta fab some coil buckets and shock mounts and be good.

i haven't really found another build like this, if anyone has info that would be great!!

#5 ·
For what youare going to be using it for I would stick with a dana 44 and something like a 9 inch. A dana 60 is going to be a boat anchor with only 35-37 inch tall tires and you will never need the strength as far as the rear the hb223 is a good rear axle but the gearing options are crap and a the only locker you can get for it is an ARB. I personally was gonna run a 44 and 9 inch with 5.38.

#6 ·
thanks for the reply! finally something constructive. i liked the idea of a d44/9" would the d44 hold up being locked with 35-37" tires?

what options are there for d44's, maybe high pinion but not necessary, and 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern?

and one of the reasons i was looking at dodge d60's was i have a set i've been eyeing and they're a great price.

#9 ·
No D21 made or sold in US had 4.88s. Mine are from 4x4parts.com. Basically imported from other countries.

The w/d22 was offered with 4.9s. i have those in my pathy.

w/d21
4.6 autos
4.3 manuals.

some 90 pathys also came with 4.3 in the autos.

My d21 is my daily driver and camping vehicle. Sounds like a good plan.:smokin:

I am running 35s with 4.88 on my v6 5psd truck. 35s 5.13s on my auto v6 pathy.

#10 ·
well i found out the dodge 60's the front control arm mounts are cut off, and the rear was sold. so kinda ditching that idea. back to the d44/9" and stick with the same suspension idea.

thanks for the info nissannut!, i'm thinking i'll go with 5.13's.

does anyone know all the gear ratios for the 5 spd trans and the tcase? thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.