Pirate 4x4 banner

W.t.f sas datsun

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  andrewcosmo 
#1 ·
OK I got my dana44 front and rear!! 63 inch chevy leafs front and rear.The rear is done!! I go to the front to get everything ready for the sas I extended the front 6". I put the axle under the truck set the leafs on top of the axle lined everything up centered everything and my leafs are not linking up under the frame, they are setting outside the frame about 4"?????:flipoff2: W.T.F IS GOING ON??? I looked though every post of sas datsun and everyone else's leafs are under the frame am I forgetting to do something or what help please:confused:

#6 · (Edited)
The frame rails on a 720 are pretty close together. The ones you see with the spring packs on the frame have cut down the long side of a full width D-44.

For example if you start with a 68 wide chevy axle and cut 8 inches off the long side tube (re-welding the C on the cut down tube) you get a 60 inch axle with the differential moved 4 inches toward the center.

(The numbers I used are examples...they are not exact.)

#8 ·
I have a 74' 620 with a dana 25/27 on the front.

Here is a pic of the back of the right(passenger's side) spring. I don't know what the springs are off of but they are warped and need to be replaced.

I want to know what your doing for steering. I currently have a stock 620 steering box with a crappy welded up pittman arm. This came on the truck. then it goes to a crappy custom linkage with two shocks on it.

The next big upgrade for me is 44's front and rear as well. Can you get some more pics and info? I think most guys go with waggy Axles to get the passenger side drop and non-full width.

-Dime

#9 ·
As far as pics I'm not to computer smart and im surfing this site via cellphone so I cant upload any pics of my rig. If u check out nissanclay set up that's basically what I'm wanting to build. He has same awesome pics of steering set-up

#13 ·
All the Z's had rack and pinion racks.

You maybe thinking of a swap into a 510 from a 280zx. The whole front cross member swaps in that case. Or someone who was slamming their truck.

I'm more looking into the saginaw inside frame box. Which should be easy to mount. But this truck does not have a U jointed steering column. I may have to update to a 720 or D21 steering column and then run a saginaw box. Then I may use the 280ZX steering pump.

I'm on ratsun too same user name.
-Dime

#14 ·
first off let me give a shout out to the amazing ratsun.net
i debated and debated steering for a while. i eventually just went with a toyota setup, the steering column is fully capable of being removed with the mounts all you need is to fab up a plate, and you can use the ifs ps box with a rear facing pitman arm, best part about that is the buy online mounting plate comes in a few days and doesnt cost too much money. then your just fabbing up some highsteer arms or buying some.... as far as suspension goes i dont know if you figured it out yet but something like this with a shackle
its what i did, but i am running double shackles some people say it has to much axle wrap but i have never had a problem with it, i also dont dd the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.