Threading the holes in a lower... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 68844
Threading the holes in a lower...

Well, like in kwrangln's OCD build thread http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...&highlight=ocd
where he threaded through the grip screw hole for a trigger set screw and rear pin detent spring hole to keep the spring from taking flight; I was just thinking, why not do that on the safety detent spring hole too? I mean, one would be far more likely to remove the grip to try a new one than to remove the buffer tube. Has anybody done that yet?

BTW, WTF does kwrangln mean. Reminds me of the sound a wrench makes when you drop it, and it hits the radiator, all the fan blades, the cross member, and front axle before finally bouncing a few times on the concrete and coming to a rest.
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....

Last edited by redpitbull44; 01-05-2012 at 08:56 PM.
redpitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 113019
The reason the safety detent hole can't be threaded is there wouldn't be enough room for a detent and a spring.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bacon addict

Member # 32029
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpitbull44 View Post
Well, like in kwrangln's OCD build thread http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...&highlight=ocd
where he threaded through the grip screw hole for a trigger set screw and rear pin detent spring hole to keep the spring from taking flight; I was just thinking, why not do that on the safety detent spring hole too? I mean, one would be far more likely to remove the grip to try a new one than to remove the buffer tube. Has anybody done that yet?
I saw that in a build thread (Calguns ). Not a bad idea really... I've seen a few people lose springs when they decide to do a "in depth" cleaning (then get their ass ripped off by the arms room guys for doing it too )

*edit*

Nevermind, BAC is low... proof reading owns me
TLCA #14103

Last edited by smurfblue40; 01-05-2012 at 09:16 PM.
smurfblue40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971
I've looked into modding the safety detent like the takedown detent, but because of the depth of the hole in the lower (most of the spring is in the grip itself) it's just not feasable. By the time you trim the spring short enough to allow for a set screw in the lower there isn't enough movement left for the safety to cycle easily due to the length of the detent itself. If you were to cut down the detent it may work, but that was more than I was willing to mess with at the time.

As for my screen name, when I got my first YJ (in '92) I got vanity plates for it that said WRANGLN (YJ=wrangler) and I used that as my first email account ever. Eventually I had to get a different email account so I threw my initial in front of it and ended up with kwrangln. Used that email for a while after I registered here before getting a new one, but kwrangln was already stuck, and the rest is history.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 68844
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrangln View Post
I've looked into modding the safety detent like the takedown detent, but because of the depth of the hole in the lower (most of the spring is in the grip itself) it's just not feasable. By the time you trim the spring short enough to allow for a set screw in the lower there isn't enough movement left for the safety to cycle easily due to the length of the detent itself. If you were to cut down the detent it may work, but that was more than I was willing to mess with at the time.
I've never had one out, but it looks like there is plenty of detent spring there that could be trimmed down. I figured nobody had bothered. Didn't realize the spring protrudes into the grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrangln View Post
As for my screen name, when I got my first YJ (in '92) I got vanity plates for it that said WRANGLN (YJ=wrangler) and I used that as my first email account ever. Eventually I had to get a different email account so I threw my initial in front of it and ended up with kwrangln. Used that email for a while after I registered here before getting a new one, but kwrangln was already stuck, and the rest is history.
Right on. It all makes sense now. Just know that when I see your screen name, in the back of my head I pronounce it kraang!!!!!
dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....

Last edited by redpitbull44; 01-05-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
big bird

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Quote:
I've never had one out, but it looks like there is plenty of detent spring there that could be trimmed down. I figured nobody had bothered. Didn't realize the spring protrudes into the grip.

Right on. It all makes sense now. Just know that when I see your screen name, in the back of my head I pronounce it kraang!!!!!

Now you know why there's that little hole in the top of the grip...
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13467
Quote:
Quote:
I guess the level of mental capacity or knowledge around here must run a lil deeper than where you're from.
Apparently not
Old 01-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 31422
Send a message via AIM to tmacie
I've done it with a spikes lower. You just have to radius the top of the detent a little. Took 5 minutes, teardown to reassembly. Selector worked much smoother than stock.

YMMV.

Travis
tmacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 121794
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacie View Post
I've done it with a spikes lower. You just have to radius the top of the detent a little. Took 5 minutes, teardown to reassembly. Selector worked much smoother than stock.

YMMV.

Travis
What did you do with the spring?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16699
Cut the pin in half and use a 1/8th long set screw with a cut spring

And trigger guards can be tapped 4-40
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 31422
Send a message via AIM to tmacie
Cut it pretty short. There was an article somewhere....I'll see if I can find it.
tmacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 68844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacie View Post
Cut it pretty short. There was an article somewhere....I'll see if I can find it.
Cool. Please do!