CCW under $500 - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #26 (permalink)
Run For the Hills

Member # 44531
If you decide that you like Kahrs, I have a complete carry package - CW40 with a CrossBreed SuperTuck holster in horse hide and a spare magazine that I'd sell.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #27 (permalink)
I sell guns...

Member # 14560
Send a message via AIM to fj40john Send a message via Yahoo to fj40john
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
I guess I look at it different - I'd pick up a $200 P3AT and a $20 pocket holster and start carrying asap. THEN I'd figure out what I want to carry, if the P3AT isn't your thing.

Same plan as you - but he's carrying earlier, and ends up with 2 guns more than likely
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
Something to carry is better than nothing. I'd get a P64 to carry for now. Cheap, easy to carry, will get the job done.
Quote:
"Excuse me, Mr. Bad Guy - I haven't made the final decision on what gun to carry, so if you could kindly come back next month to rape my fields and pillage my woman, I'd app..." <<thud>>.
These are good points if you live somewhere that gets your license/permit to you quickly, or somewhere that doesn't require one. Go buy something basic and cheap, and carry that until you find the other gun you like. Sometimes you find out what you actually like/dislike and need/don't need in a pistol once you are carrying it.

Around here most folks are just getting in to shooting and haven't taken a CHL class yet, so they have at least a month before they can carry anyway. All it takes is a weekend to go shoot some rented/borrowed pistols and decide which one you want.

Some folks (like my dad) buy one gun, shoot it a little, then carry it forever. Some folks change carry guns all the time. No one can tell you which group you'll be in.

Facebook! If you are from the PBB, send me a message with your screen name so I know who you are.

All things NFA explained here...

BUY MY GUNS!!!
fj40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 13467
Quote:
I guess I look at it different - I'd pick up a $200 P3AT and a $20 pocket holster and start carrying asap. THEN I'd figure out what I want to carry, if the P3AT isn't your thing.

Same plan as you - but he's carrying earlier, and ends up with 2 guns more than likely
Not if he doesn't have his CHL yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredy_C View Post
i am looking at getting a CCW.
He doesn't state his location, but from that sentence we can presume that he does not live in a state with constitutional carry and that he does not have a permit yet. If that is true, then buying a handgun today will not get him carrying any sooner.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 1108
LCR is always on board... if i want a little more, the PM9 fits the bill. I have over 500 rounds of factory, reloads and shit off the floor of the truck without ONE failure.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #30 (permalink)
I sell guns...

Member # 14560
Send a message via AIM to fj40john Send a message via Yahoo to fj40john
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Segrest View Post

He doesn't state his location, but from that sentence we can presume that he does not live in a state with constitutional carry and that he does not have a permit yet. If that is true, then buying a handgun today will not get him carrying any sooner.
I read it at Concealed Carry Weapon, as in the actual gun, not the permit. But I completely agree with your post.

Facebook! If you are from the PBB, send me a message with your screen name so I know who you are.

All things NFA explained here...

BUY MY GUNS!!!
fj40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 14423
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40john View Post
Nothing is 100% reliable.

Standard thread...

Go to a range that rents the guns you are interested in and shoot them. Go with the one that feels the best in your hand and points naturally for you while fitting your requirements. If you have friends/acquaintances with guns, invite them, pay for ammo and shoot their stuff. The more things you test before making a decision the better off you will be.

Buying a gun is like buying shoes. Some guy on the internet tells you to buy a pair of shoes from a certain brand in a certain size...would you do it? Go to the store and try some stuff on...if it fits you and you are comfortable with it, then that's the way to go.

Most guns will have a bunch of holster options. A good holster can hide a big gun better than a crappy holster and a small gun.

This makes the most sense. Several people bitched about the P-11. Heck, that's why I own it. Because the p.o. hated it so much he gave it to me rather than sell it. I polished a few things (fluff and buff) and now I have a reliable gun that I trust and I can shoot halfway decently with. I had the feed issues and the trigger was not pleasant. Now it's like a 1/4 mile of smooth constant travel. Not ideal but it's not a target / competition gun anyway.

Now, I would absolutely love to be able to go drop a bunch of cash on a slick 1911 but I'd bet it would require work, practice etc... For me to be comfortable with it.
beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Segrest View Post

In most of PA a license to carry takes about 20 minutes to get.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 145202
Im really enjoying my Ruger SR40C. It is the thinest double stack mag. It actually feels more like a 1911. Its smooth. As a subcompact 40, it actually fires nicer (less recoil) than my PX4 9mm did. I like the fact that i uses a trigger safety as well as offering a manual safety (which i dont use, but its there). It for a pre-set action design, it double taps pretty well too. With my limited practice, at 30 ft, i am able to keep the 2nd round within 2 inches of the first.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 21526
Kahr CM9,,Ive been shopping them all,,,and found the CM9 about the best deal,,,,Im going to go get one today as a matter of fact
White7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 160769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan32 View Post
Im really enjoying my Ruger SR40C. It is the thinest double stack mag. It actually feels more like a 1911. Its smooth. As a subcompact 40, it actually fires nicer (less recoil) than my PX4 9mm did. I like the fact that i uses a trigger safety as well as offering a manual safety (which i dont use, but its there). It for a pre-set action design, it double taps pretty well too. With my limited practice, at 30 ft, i am able to keep the 2nd round within 2 inches of the first.

Haters gonna hate, but I have to agree with this.

I had the SR9C and absolutely loved it. I regret getting rid of it, but I have the SR9 full size also, so no big deal. I did a bit of a torture test on the SR9C after I first bought it. Went about 1200 rounds of various factory and my own loads without cleaning (except the initial out of the box cleaning of course) to see when I would have a malfunction and never did. My OCD kicked in at that point and I cleaned it. The SR9 Is probably one of my favorite autos of all time.

Ruger haters can suck it!!!
jscwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #36 (permalink)
Fawk Eddie Oh

Member # 20631
Glock 33. If you hit them it's gonna hurt, if you miss at least they'll be deaf.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #37 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 31913
I'm really wanting to see the new Springfield XDS when it comes out.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 141714
i live about 30 mins south of indianapolis in IN. I plan to get my LTC once i do my taxes and get that money back.

I dont have any friends with handguns, everyone has shotguns and rifles. I know there is a place in indy area building a range who say they may rent handguns. Another place in lousville ky who rents, and a 3rd place in IN but i cant remember there info.

I have found the INGO website but have not registered yet as i cant do it from my phone for whatever reason.

"Ugly Betsy"
'85 f250 reg cab/long bed
6.9 IDI/T-19/bw1356
d50 TTB/sterling 10.25
Soon to have a build thread...... Someday

USMC 7051 crash fire rescue :usa:
Fredy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #39 (permalink)
Blower Binder

Member # 142191
Glock, its a simple point and click interface.

"Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." Malcolm X
64dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 99624
fwiw, I carry an XDm40 on my hip (and in my waist from time to time). I can conceal it well. Dont be put off by the skinny guy concealing a gun idea.... it works.

You can buy a compact XD40 for around 425.

I also have a Ruger LCP in my pocket as a BUG or for deep conceal
If I was an FBI agent on one of these stings, I wouldn't be able to resist building up a suicide vest rigged with confetti cannons.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"
D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Quote:

I got ya. But I don't like trusting my life on an unknown.

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #42 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredy_C View Post
i live about 30 mins south of indianapolis in IN. I plan to get my LTC once i do my taxes and get that money back.

I dont have any friends with handguns, everyone has shotguns and rifles. I know there is a place in indy area building a range who say they may rent handguns. Another place in lousville ky who rents, and a 3rd place in IN but i cant remember there info.

I have found the INGO website but have not registered yet as i cant do it from my phone for whatever reason.
OK, based on that, see if you gun store would be ok with you dry firing. Also see if they will let you try out a couple different holsters. Triple check make sure weapon is clear, find a blank wall. Pic a spot as your target, close your eyes, draw, point the weapon. Open your eyes. Are you on target? Do this a couple of times with each gun that feels right in your hand.
If you can find something that follows your natural point of aim thats a major part of the battle. Now do the draw and dry fire. Concentrate on the front site post. How much does it move around as you are squeezing the trigger? How far off target does the front sight move? The less the better.

If you can find something that points well, and has a good trigger to you, then do a quick search or ask here about reliability. Honestly if it's a major name, and your store has a good return policy you shouldnt have any issues. And by a good return policy, if you buy a semi auto say, go run 100 rounds through it. Give it a cleaning. Now run another 50 through it. if those last 50 you have no issues at all, no FTE, FTF, etc, then I would be ok carrying that. If it's giving you problems, maybe look for a different gun. On a revolver, i would expect it to work right out of the box, 50 rounds, all 50 go bang.

if it points and shoots ok, I still think a 38sp is hard to beat for a first carry gun.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #43 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dumptruck View Post
DA Revolver, its a simple point and click interface.
fixed it for you. No SA is truely point and click.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 81232
Went with the Ruger LC9. $450 out the door which included all paperwork and fees.
GreyZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 63440
Send a message via MSN to leman
i love my sig p250sc with nightsites. will even leave you some money for ammo to shoot.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
Team Helen Keller

Member # 128472
My XD9 was $515. Subcompact. I have a $30 IWB holster. I carry everyday of my life. Driving long distances it gets a tad uncomfortable, other than that its been a great CCW.

Quote:
1. NEVER, EVER date a single mother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by void_of_light View Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
JM93LiftedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #47 (permalink)
Mister Machinist

Member # 3088
If I HAD to carry a 9 again, and a G26 was out, I'd probably pick up the LC9 from Ruger.
Gozuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 81232
I put 100 rounds through my new LC9 the other day. No malfunctions, and surprisingly accurate out to 50'. Realistically any SHTF situation is statistically going to be 0-15' shooting anyway.

My only complaint about the gun so far (and it is a minor one), is that the trigger pull is too long. I've already found a trigger kit that is supposed to lessen the trigger pull by approximately half (front half of range, not the back half).
http://www.gallowayprecision.com/lc9...anceparts.html
GreyZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 49939
Send a message via AIM to comeonstart
I've been carrying a sig p238 for 7 months now. I really like it. It fits in my back pocket on most of my jeans. Mine was under $500.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 83301
PF- 9 or Kahr CW9