My OSR edumacationing of 1911s... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
My OSR edumacationing of 1911s...

... begins now.

I hope that this doesn't start a pissing contest.

I need some education on 1911s. I know how to strip, clean, and reassemble without leaving an idiot mark. The only one I own is a Remington Rand gubbmint model and I'd like to put a few more in my safe. I know what makes a 1911 a 1911, but what really comprises a good/great 1911?

Take my friend Tim for example. He and his dad build high dollar guns. His dad has been building .45s for a long time and in my eyes, they're very good at what they do. I was offered a Kimber stainless model for $700. It had a few things with it, but the pistol itself is my main concern. I held it, shot it, racked it a few times. Yes, it felt a bit tighter than my pistol, and I understand some/most of the aspects of why.

I talk to Tim and he basically tells me that they're good beginner pistols, but to him, they have some cheap parts inside. He hands me his daily carry pistol and tells me that if I want one, this is the way to go.

He is also a good salesman and I've never gotten the impression that he would lie just to make a sale. He's always up front about how much things cost, labor, etc and I don't ever get the feeling that I'm losing money while shopping with him. I ask him how much his pistol would cost.

$3500 in parts. IIRC, that's what he told me.

Shit... put pistol down gently on the workbench and back away from it.

So, if I wanted to assemble my own or just take the easy route and buy one from one of the many mfgs, what's to look for? What makes one version so much more badass than another?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12780
Send a message via Yahoo to SCOTTS_4X
One thing I see a lot of (i see it in the revolver world too) is everyone freaking out about metal injection molded or mim parts. You get caught up in that crap and you can spend hundreds of dollars replacing little 5 and 10 dollar parts.

-scott
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5132
Just remember, if you toss a cap in someone's ass with a gun, you've more than likely lost that gun to the law. Plenty of damn shooters out there for a fraction of the cost. Spending $3500 on a daily carry is dumb unless you can afford a replacement.............................
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
I sell guns...

Member # 14560
Send a message via AIM to fj40john Send a message via Yahoo to fj40john
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray Boudreaux View Post
Just remember, if you toss a cap in someone's ass with a gun, you've more than likely lost that gun to the law. Plenty of damn shooters out there for a fraction of the cost. Spending $3500 on a daily carry is dumb unless you can afford a replacement.............................
I see what you did there....

If you would buy the gun anyway, enjoy shooting/practicing with it, and it fits your requirements for carry, then I wouldn't let the potential for losing it get in my way.

You don't buy exclusively cheap cars on the off chance you might total it? On second thought, this might not be the right crowd for that analogy.

Facebook! If you are from the PBB, send me a message with your screen name so I know who you are.

All things NFA explained here...

BUY MY GUNS!!!
fj40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6764
If your looking for an all steel gun ( no mim) try a dan wesson valor. Great trigger great slide to frame fit.
mjs408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
I sell guns...

Member # 14560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs408 View Post
If your looking for an all steel gun ( no mim) try a dan wesson valor. Great trigger great slide to frame fit.
Sold by CZ, so I'm on board with this.

What sort of knowledge base do you have (you know features and the reasons they are there?) ?

What is your intended use? Target/range gun? Carry?

Facebook! If you are from the PBB, send me a message with your screen name so I know who you are.

BUY MY GUNS!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 113019
With 1911's you get what you pay for.........there are exceptions, but this rule holds pretty true. The difference between an Ed Brown and a Springfield TRP is night and day, as is the difference between a TRP and a Kimber.

Honestly, for daily carry I would pick your favorite flavor of polymer and avoid the hassle of a 1911. Building your own will cost you a fortune in tools alone.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66259
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue&Goldie View Post
...as is the difference between a TRP and a Kimber.
which is?
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
I keep a Glock in my truck and on my person when I carry. More than likely, if I have to place caps in some ruffian, the cost of the pistol is probably going to be the least of my worries.

I'd like a nice .45 because every rough handed, work boot wearing, Marlboro Red smoking, heterosexual male should, in his life, own a nice pistol that's in some way, shape, or form like what his ancestors carried when charging the field of battle.

I'd like one because they're very familiar to me, they're good to shoot, and I would like to pass one on to my nephews or sons one day.

And why not? It's a proven pistol.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40john View Post

What sort of knowledge base do you have (you know features and the reasons they are there?) ?

I can take it apart and put it back together (field strip) with ease. The internals should be no problem to assemble from a pile of parts. Do I know the top tier mfgs? Some. I don't know all the top component mfgs, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

What is your intended use? Target/range gun? Carry?
Target/range, carry on my side when hunting, possible CCW carry, but doubtful. I actually might not get one chambered in a .45. Since I'm on the 10mm bandwagon and fully strapped in, that idea is very appealing. "My father's gun, my caliber."

Of course, I want to dress it up with some nice stuff that makes function look good in form.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6764
I would say the TRP (not the professional) and a Kimber are rather close. Might want to look at Fusion Firearms, does semi custom to full custom guns.
mjs408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
I sell guns...

Member # 14560
Check out STI. I dig their stuff and for that price price range they beat the competition.

BUY MY GUNS!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-FENS

Member # 31414
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs408 View Post
Quote:
Me too. I have a CBOB. Its my 2nd most favorite 1911 style pistol.

Quote:
Check out STI. I dig their stuff and for that price price range they beat the competition.
My STI is my most favorite though.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
Quote:
Will do, thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bald Eagle Fucker

Member # 101407
I have nothing to add other than, 1 is not enough. My next one will be a little fancier, more of a church gun.
Elvis38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36317
Send a message via AIM to Numidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettscott View Post
Target/range, carry on my side when hunting, possible CCW carry, but doubtful. I actually might not get one chambered in a .45. Since I'm on the 10mm bandwagon and fully strapped in, that idea is very appealing. "My father's gun, my caliber."

Of course, I want to dress it up with some nice stuff that makes function look good in form.
Keep an eye out for a Delta Elite
Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
I wouldn't buy a Kimber because of my perceived flaws in quality. I wouldn't buy an Ed Brown because of cost. I might buy an STI. I'd buy a Springfield TRP or MC Operator in a flash for edc.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 59127
I'm too old & fat to be an Extreme Tactical Expert Champion Professional Operator...

... so I guess I would just go for a plain old Dan Wesson. For some reason the finish on their stainless is just pleasing to my eye. Beautiful pistols.

The prices on DW have pretty much exploded the past few years tho...

:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
Fishslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis38 View Post
I have nothing to add other than, 1 is not enough. My next one will be a little fancier, more of a church gun.
Damn you for putting thoughts in my head!

It'll be like buying lowers.

I ordered four from John.

Then I ordered three more.

Next month, guess what I'll do?

MOAR!

I needs lots of little AR parts, btw.

Maybe I need to get in the business of putting together other people's guns. Seems like that'd be a little less expensive.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 49169
3500 for a 1911 huh? Cool, have at it.

Kimber? I've run a few and frankly, my cheap shit pt shoot as accurate and the trigger is better although is looser in the frame. My SAI shoots better and has a better fit after a little tweaking.

However, each to his own. I will say the time I've spent fondling the Dan Wessons those are very nice feeling, good fitting guns for the money.

If I was into spending bigger money on a 1911 I'd look into one of Les Baers.

http://www.lesbaer.com/Duty.html

Best feeling, best shooting 1911 I've shot.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 113019
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
which is?
Fit, timing, trigger. I'm willing to bet the Kimber has next to no hand fitting done, whereas the Springfield has more attention to detail.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 27179
Send a message via AIM to reklund5
For what it's worth, I've put several thousand rounds through my Kimber Stainless and have nothing but great things to say about it. I have shot other 1911s, some much cheaper (RRA) and several Les Baer/Ed Brown guns. There IS a difference, but the Kimber is a nice, attainable piece for the average guy.
reklund5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 39371
Send a message via AIM to currupt4130
FWIW, I, along with plenty of people (including my local gun shop) will tell you that Kimber isn't what they used to be. Their newer guns are hit or miss and are much more cheaply made than their older guns. They see more problems out of the box than they should. One of my local CCW instructors/gun shop guy and I had this conversation the other week. He has two great Kimbers at home but he see's more issues with new ones coming back and on the CCW qual line than most any other. I've owned one that didn't run at all either. I've also run into guys at the range with brand new out of the box ones that wouldn't eat every other round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1SCOUT View Post
Me too. I have a CBOB. Its my 2nd most favorite 1911 style pistol.

My STI is my most favorite though.
Off topic, how do you like you CBOB, I was thinking of bobbing a 1911 I just bought

Last edited by currupt4130; 03-22-2012 at 03:35 AM.
currupt4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 12036
Quote:
Originally Posted by reklund5 View Post
For what it's worth, I've put several thousand rounds through my Kimber Stainless and have nothing but great things to say about it. I have shot other 1911s, some much cheaper (RRA) and several Les Baer/Ed Brown guns. There IS a difference, but the Kimber is a nice, attainable piece for the average guy.
I have a Kimber and a Les Baer. My friend has a 70 series COLT. I would like to add it to my collection. I have had zero issues with the Kimber. I'm close to 800 rounds at this point without issue.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Send a message via AIM to 44Runner
Meh, not much of a 1911 guy but if one were to find its way into my safe it would most likely be an RIA. Something like this:

http://armscorusa.com/index.php?opti...d=11&Itemid=24

I've never shot one of the crazy high dollar 1911s but of the ones I have these RIA seem just as good for way less money and I have never seen a bad review. I am not one to try to out bling the next guy...
44Runner is offline   Reply With Quote