Turkeys - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 82262
Turkeys

Turkey season started here last week. I just got my shotgun set up and patterned and can't wait to get out (it will be my first time hunting).

Anyone else going out for turkeys?
frumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 63440
Send a message via MSN to leman
season here ends tomorrow. chased them all weekend, got close to to a few but they had some hens with them and werent interested in me.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 136533
This weekend was my tag for Wisconsin. Hunted all day Friday and Saturday. My dad called this one in for me Saturday afternoon. Fun as hell to watch it gobble, fan out and strut around. Shot him at 45 yards and he dropped right there. Not to big, only 22 pounds with a 10 inch beard and 1" spurs. Its my first gobbler though.
Attached Images

Last edited by Seubs70; 04-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Seubs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 68844
I'm wanting to this year but like usual, I will probably be way to frickin busy to get out there. Need to figure out how to hunt for a living, lol.
[COLOR="Blue"][QUOTE=Texas97;13281566]dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
redpitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 72494
I keep striking out on public land. Private land is where it's at but I don't know anybody.

[QUOTE=BeefCakeScout;10563632]I was, but if you won't kiss me after I blow you then i'll find someone else:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=317103[/IMG]
77bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 136533
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77bawls View Post
I keep striking out on public land. Private land is where it's at but I don't know anybody.
Around here just about anyone we asked let us hunt their land. Most of them are farmers that just want to see the turkeys gone. We walked about 10 mils of woods on Saturday. It really helps to have a bunch of land to go to. That way you can find the turkeys and go to them, not sit and wait for them to come to you.
Seubs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132056
Was just up at my dads and we could hear em every morning about 200 yds away gobbling like crazy. Too bad he didn't have a tag or we could have had plenty to choose from. He got a couple from his front porch a couple years ago, and has his game cam set up in his driveway with hundreds of pics of em, along with giant bucks, bulls, and cats. His property is in the perfect spot. And I aint tellin where
JediJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 82262
Went out to a small farm I have permission to hunt at for my first crack at turkey hunting. Didn't go so well, couldn't even get a response to my call and I know there are usually turkeys in the area. Might be due to this.

also found these

frumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 98845
went up the past two sundays for day trips, didnt see anything

werent even answering our calls. this sunday will be the last day i can make it up north, hoping to see at least one

wish i had time before the season to scout, workload always fcks me over right before hunting season.

Last edited by aftershokk86; 05-18-2012 at 11:16 AM.
aftershokk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123483
If you, or anybody, does get a bird, can I get some tail feathers? A couple dozen would be great.

I'll kick ya a few bucks.

I want them for an arrow making class. Currently, the teacher only has pink, yellow, and orange feathers he bought from Micheal's arts and crafts store
Billy_Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Runner? What runner?

Member # 946
Send a message via AIM to 4runner
Hey elliot, you still planning to do some turkeys?

Really surprised you didnt go get some at the shootout/cookout...

No guarantee I can get away, but I have this little bolt action I want to try out...
Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 21312
Send a message via AIM to freerider5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
Hey elliot, you still planning to do some turkeys?

Really surprised you didnt go get some at the shootout/cookout...

No guarantee I can get away, but I have this little bolt action I want to try out...
Not anytime soon. Maybe around Christmas time. I might can get away for a day or so to shoot.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 60950
I had an experience yesterday that some of you might be able to shed some light on. I was getting responses to my calls from the hens. I'd put out some yelps (slate call) and they would yelp back. Finally got one that was pretty close and I could tell she was coming my way. Saw her come over the ridge across the draw and head down the hill in a hurry. She would yelp 7 times and then 2 chirps (?). I'd answer back and she'd respond all the while making a beeline in my direction. I kept calling hoping a tom might follow her. He and three more hens finally crested the hill and came down about 100 feet and stopped. The first hen was getting close so I stopped calling and froze so as not to spook her. She got into a clump of brush about 15 feet from me, yelping and chirping, searching all over. After about 5 minutes of that she headed back across the meadow and up the hill. I'm not sure she ever figured out I was there - she certainly wasn't in a panic when she left. The tom never came closer than about 100 yards.

So the combination of yelping and chirping - was she challenging a potential intruder to her happy little harem? The speed she came in on and the intense search of the brush made me wonder.

When it was over, my heart was pounding. I've never seen anything like that. It was also a big confidence boost that my calling is actually working - I've only been doing this a couple of years and this is the first time I've been solo and had any response.

Also got barked at by a cow elk. She was on a ridge above me and followed me for close to a quarter mile, barking the whole time. I figured maybe she had a calf up there and I was too close.

I didn't come home with a bird, but it was an awesome day anyway. You can't buy experiences like that.
Red Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote