AAC Ti-rant or Osprey 9 owners - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 121053
AAC Ti-rant or Osprey 9 owners

The Ti-rant seems to be the latest and greatest offering in the 9mm suppression world according to all the reviews. The Silencerco Osprey 9 seems to be right there with the AAC as well. Anyone here have first hand experience with either can? I'm leaning toward the AAC.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
I've shot both of those a few times.

Consider the Liberty mystic, better can imop
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 118399
They are both great cans as is the mystic. I have had all three. The Ti-rant is the quietest to me. The downside is you have to add taller sights to everything because of the round design. You cannot see the factory sights. The up side is it is small light and quiet.

The cool gadget factor for the osprey is high. It looks really cool and it performs well. It was the quietest in the fleet until the Ti-rant came out. It is only marginally quieter though. It is light as well and with most pistols the factory sights will work.

The mystic dosent look as good as either and is heavier but it more than makes up for that in utility. You can shoot just about antsy thing through it. 9mm to subsonic .308 as well as .22. You can disassemble it and service it when the .22 dirties it up. You will have to change sights on most pistols.

Tell us a little more about how you want to use the can and I may be able to help steer you.
Dock Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 121053
I am looking for the best overall performing can. Mostly just for plinking but with a little more energy. Mostly outdoors shooting. I will to use one like most anyone else would I suppose. There is not much reason other than I want one because I can have one.

The Tirant seems to offer the lightest, quietest can that can be disassembled for service. They all seem to be sub $800-ish. The Osprey off set feature and stock sight option is very cool but I am cautious of gadgety vs. gimmicky. SilencerCo has a nice demo video on YouTube testing their larger bore suppressors with smaller diameter rounds. Very interesting tutorial. The Mystic's rugged, send anything through it, feature is quite appealing but that thing is pretty heavy at 16.1oz. Twice the Tirant. off the end of a long gun the weight would not factor in but on a 9mm XDm it becomes a big strike against it.

Gives me a lot to think about.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 141790
The Osprey and TiRant are both great cans. You can go wrong with either. They are considered amongst the best when it comes to pistol cans. Bear in mind everyone perception of sound is different. What may seem louder to me is not to you. Different hosts will also have different sound levels with a given can. I.e. the tiRant could be quieter on a XD than a Glock. Either way you will be splitting hairs as to which is quieter. I would not consider the Osprey gimmicky at all. It is shaped that way for a reason. More internal volume with a lower likelihood of sight interference. The up side to the Tirant is it can be used on a .22 host as well. The Osprey is not user serviceable making it a poor choice for a .22 host. With either one you will need a different piston/adaptor to mount it. It you want a true do all can the 45TiRant will cover .45acp and down. Not much louder than a dedicated 9mm can on a 9mm and handles the bigger stuff as well. Good luck
dertmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 137633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dock Rocker View Post
They are both great cans as is the mystic. I have had all three. The Ti-rant is the quietest to me. The downside is you have to add taller sights to everything because of the round design. You cannot see the factory sights. The up side is it is small light and quiet.

The cool gadget factor for the osprey is high. It looks really cool and it performs well. It was the quietest in the fleet until the Ti-rant came out. It is only marginally quieter though. It is light as well and with most pistols the factory sights will work.

The mystic dosent look as good as either and is heavier but it more than makes up for that in utility. You can shoot just about antsy thing through it. 9mm to subsonic .308 as well as .22. You can disassemble it and service it when the .22 dirties it up. You will have to change sights on most pistols.

Tell us a little more about how you want to use the can and I may be able to help steer you.
Didnt know you were on here... nonnie used to be.
slngblde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 118399
Quote:
Originally Posted by slngblde View Post
Didnt know you were on here... nonnie used to be.
Who is this? Nonnie is to busy working I guess.
Dock Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 137633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dock Rocker View Post
Who is this? Nonnie is to busy working I guess.
Sent you a pm..
slngblde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 121794
Will the ti rant or osprey handle pistol caliber carbines? I gather that the mystic can, but what about the other two? I like not having to change sights with the osprey, and going with .45 to cover the smaller calibers sounds like q great idea too, even though I do not own anything in .45. Is .454 casull / .45 LC / .460 the same diameter as .45 ACOG?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 141790
I do not know if the TiRant or Osprey will handle a carbine. I would think so as I know the 45Osprey will handle 10mm. You would have to verify that with the companies tho. The 9mm versions will handle smaller caliber rounds too. Just 9mm and down as apposed to the .45 cans handling .45 and down. Now the Tirant would be the only one I'd consider as a do all can because it is user serviceable. As far as .45lc and 454 casull the bullet diameter is not the issue. It is the pressures the they produce. They will not handle a .454 and .45lc is pushing it at best. A .45lc cowboy load may be ok, but you would have to verify that with the company. Again only the Tirant should be considered because it is user serviceable. Lead bullets will eventually plug up the can, so you need to be able to clean it.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 12036
Most people "here" use YHM stuff.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Spruce Moose

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmup View Post
I've shot both of those a few times.

Consider the Liberty mystic, better can imop
i say liberty or Osprey. been hearing really crappy customer service out of AAC lately, so much so that i have no desire to own any of their line and deal with their 51 tooth mounts and their other issues. not sure if they have the same issues with their pistol cans, but to me its a crap shoot with the Freedom Group.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
I have osprey and tirant in 45.
I prefer the osprey because of the shape and design to work with standard sights.

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 220625
Quote:
Originally Posted by dertmerchant View Post
I do not know if the TiRant or Osprey will handle a carbine. I would think so as I know the 45Osprey will handle 10mm. You would have to verify that with the companies tho. The 9mm versions will handle smaller caliber rounds too. Just 9mm and down as apposed to the .45 cans handling .45 and down. Now the Tirant would be the only one I'd consider as a do all can because it is user serviceable. As far as .45lc and 454 casull the bullet diameter is not the issue. It is the pressures the they produce. They will not handle a .454 and .45lc is pushing it at best. A .45lc cowboy load may be ok, but you would have to verify that with the company. Again only the Tirant should be considered because it is user serviceable. Lead bullets will eventually plug up the can, so you need to be able to clean it.
Unless someone is handloading or buying specialty ammo from Corbon/buffalo bore/etc., the .45 Colt is held to 14,000 psi, which is several thousand pounds less than a .45 acp produces.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 141790
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
Unless someone is handloading or buying specialty ammo from Corbon/buffalo bore/etc., the .45 Colt is held to 14,000 psi, which is several thousand pounds less than a .45 acp produces.
It's not just pressure. The gas volume needs to be dealt with as well. Not saying it won't work. Just saying $800+, plus tax stamp, plus 6+month wait is not worth chancing it. Email the manufacturer and ask. A lot cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
i say liberty or Osprey. been hearing really crappy customer service out of AAC lately, so much so that i have no desire to own any of their line and deal with their 51 tooth mounts and their other issues. not sure if they have the same issues with their pistol cans, but to me its a crap shoot with the Freedom Group.
And now they are talking about going to a 91 tooth mount because not all cans are locking up tight on the 51t
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote