Brownwood, TX shooting... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
dry-rotter of tires

Member # 63587
Brownwood, TX shooting...

Pardon if R.

Just another one of those wahoos without any training, I guess..

Shooter who aided officer gives his account of Peach House RV Park incident - YouTube

http://www.brownwoodnews.com/index.p...news&Itemid=58

"Brown County Sheriff’s Department and Early Police Department held a joint press conference Monday to formally discuss Sunday’s Peach House RV Park shooting which left three people and two dogs dead.

According to Sheriff Bobby Grubbs, the gunman was shot by an armed citizen and responding Early Police Sgt. Steven Means who was being fired upon by the gunman Charles Conner of Early. Grubbs stated that the gunman and the victims had a verbal confrontation about the dogs, and that Conner shot the male victim, then the dogs, and turned the gun on the male victim’s common law wife with a .9mm handgun.

Other residents of the RV park were in their homes as the incident occurred, stated Grubbs. Two adult male residents were reported to have heard the gunshots and saw the victims’ bodies, one of the male residents was the initial reporting party.

Conner was reported to have gone into his RV which was approximately 75-100 yards away and retrieved a 30-30 rifle which he used to shoot at the responding officer and another resident, according to Grubbs. He was also armed with two pistols during this time, said Grubbs.

Another armed resident heard the shots and retrieved his .357 Magnum handgun, and was able to shoot Conner in the leg, and was then fired upon by Conner as Officer Means pulled into the park, according to law enforcement officials. Means saw that Conner was armed and was fired upon as he got out of his vehicle, Grubbs said. Means was able to take cover behind his vehicle and returned fire with his assault rifle which ultimately ended the situation according to Grubbs. As Means and the armed resident returned fire, Conner collapsed dead.

According to Grubbs, the victims were living together at the RV park temporarily, working for the owner of the park in his peach orchard. They are noted to be a white 58-year-old male and a white 53-year-old female. They had lived in the park approximately two months with their two dogs, a small poodle mix and a medium sized border collie mix. Both are residents are from out of state. Their identities are expected to be released as soon as their next of kin are notified according to Grubbs.

Grubbs explained that Conner is a 58-year-old white male who has resided at the park for approximately 10 months and it is believed that he has no previous criminal history.

The resident who assisted police is described as a temporary resident of the park and is also a white male, 66 years of age. His identity is being withheld.

Sheriff Grubbs commended the assisting resident for his actions. Law enforcement has determined that the resident acted valiantly and perhaps saved the lives of Sgt. Means and responding deputies, Grubbs said.

“His actions may have also saved the lives of other citizens who could have innocently walked into the situation. Under fire, the resident shooter returned fire at precisely the right moment. One of the rounds struck Conner in the thigh and staggered Conner as he turned fire on Sgt. Means,” said Grubbs. “This staggered Conner from having an effective aim as Conner fired upon Sgt. Means. This also enabled Sgt. Means to accurately return fire on Conner.”

Early Police Chief David Mercer stated that autopsies are being performed on all three of the deceased in Travis County. Texas Rangers are leading the investigation and more in-depth questions are left for them to answer.

Grubbs and Mercer stated that both Sgt. Means and the assisting resident’s actions are being investigated and will be brought before the Brown County Grand Jury; however, they did not believe any criminal charges would be filed.

“It appears that law enforcement and the citizens of Brown County owe a debt of gratitude toward this man for his courage to act,” explained Grubbs. “It must also be noted that Sgt. Means, of the Early Police Department, responded and acted valiantly, driving into the scene and having the composure and focus to respond under fire, to return fire on Conner. As he was trained, he acted with great courage and is to be commended by law enforcement and the community he serves. His courage is an example of what law enforcement may face at any moment’s notice.”

Sheriff Grubbs also noted that some may take this incident as an opportunity to promote gun control; however he felt it is an example of importance of the right to bear arms.

“Had this citizen not had a gun, this could have been a whole lot worse,” said Grubbs
."

Last edited by dwilliams35; 08-04-2012 at 07:04 PM.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bang! Bang! Bang!

Member # 138137
165 yard pistol shot.

http://fishgame.com/deblog.php?p=574
poisonpancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 220625
I'm honestly more surprised that his vision is still good enough at 66 to align the sights that well than I am at hitting something with a .357 wheelgun at 165 yards.

Obviously, the old saying about not bringing a handgun to a rifle fight ain't always true.

Condolences to the families of the victims.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 55123
Impressive shooting for sure.

It wasn't prevalent in the news/gossip since I was in Brownwood for work on Monday. Pirate News for the win as usual.
Saluki ATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
once again, "assault rifle" comes out lol
Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bang! Bang! Bang!

Member # 138137
I can say if I saw this going on down the block I would be grabbing my AR before I picked up a pistol. I have no problem hitting a human sized target at 200 yards with iron sights.
poisonpancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
struggling

Member # 126828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halogrinder View Post
once again, "assault rifle" comes out lol
Yup. [liberal] That killing machine of a gun, designed to kill as many people as possible as fast as possible., That the police needed against one criminal with a lever action.[liberal]

Good on the Old Man for doing the right thing and the LEO's that recognized he was a help.

Last edited by AGUNTHER; 08-05-2012 at 12:48 PM.
AGUNTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
And fuckin A for making a 165 () yard shot first hit With a wheel gun!
Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mister Machinist

Member # 3088
If all you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.
Gozuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuki View Post
If all you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.
Sig worthy material. (golf clap)
Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 189645
Quote:
I'm honestly more surprised that his vision is still good enough at 66 to align the sights that well than I am at hitting something with a .357 wheelgun at 165 yards.
Kids these days, think your only fit for a nursing home at 66?
jmorrismetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 220625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halogrinder View Post
And fuckin A for making a 165 () yard shot first hit With a wheel gun!
From reading the article, there isn't any way to tell what shot hit the perp. Just says that the old fella fired several shots.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
dry-rotter of tires

Member # 63587
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
From reading the article, there isn't any way to tell what shot hit the perp. Just says that the old fella fired several shots.
Well, he said in his interview that the first shot hit the guy in the leg. I'm really going to believe him more than some media wonk that is trying to downplay his involvement as much as possible.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mister Machinist

Member # 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettscott View Post
Sig worthy material. (golf clap)
Not my saying, many years old. But wise indeed.
Gozuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 220625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrismetal View Post
Kids these days, think your only fit for a nursing home at 66?
Nope, not at all. Just saying that older folks seem to have more problems with their vision. Lining the sights up well enough to hit a man sized target at that distance isn't all that easy, even for us younger guys.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 220625
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams35 View Post
Well, he said in his interview that the first shot hit the guy in the leg. I'm really going to believe him more than some media wonk that is trying to downplay his involvement as much as possible.
Ah, I didn't watch that, just read the article.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Got to love them ol Texans
Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 59127
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
Nope, not at all. Just saying that older folks seem to have more problems with their vision. Lining the sights up well enough to hit a man sized target at that distance isn't all that easy, even for us younger guys.
I'm "only" 57 & I know for a fact that my eyes ain't what they used to be. Bought my first optic device last year, a 2X red dot for the 10/22. But I've known older guys that still had eagle eyes. All in the genetics I think.

A little puzzled about the distance. Was it 100yds or 165yds? Either way awesome shot with the adrenaline pumpin' and someone shootin' back. But he had to take the shot. At that age walkin' that distance for a closer shot is just too much like work.

Another account I read had the good guy hittin' the badguy 5 times?

:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
Fishslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 80248
I really love that his main concern was if the bullet would hold up over that long a shot...
Old 08-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 189645
Some of the best shooters in the world (even current record holders) are "seniors".

Didn't say he ran the mile in 6 min then made the shot without any glasses on.

Last edited by jmorrismetal; 08-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.
jmorrismetal is offline   Reply With Quote