Recommend me a hunting rifle - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
Recommend me a hunting rifle

Needs:
Dead accuracy up to 600m(just because)
under 10 lbs
able to kill an elk, but not massacre a CA blacktail

Don't matters:
Color
stock

Was thinking about just going back to the tried and true 7mm Mag, but 30-06 is always a viable option.

what say you PBB?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 122932
Send a message via Yahoo to intenseimages
Since you were kind enough to narrow it down, either of your choices in the right hands could do the job. Though at 600 yards they are both running out of steam.

The "guideline" is to have 1,500lbs of energy at the target when hunting elk and 1,000lbs at the target when hunting deer.

The 7mm RemMag holds 1,500lbs out to at least 500 yards when using 140gr and heavier bullets. And holds 1,000lbs of energy out to at least 500 yards when using 120gr and heavier.

Here is a ballistic chart for the 7mm RemMag. Handloads can be a bit hotter than these figures, though not by much in most of those listings.

http://www.cpcartridge.com/7mmB.htm

We load my wife's 7mm RemMag to 2,960fps with 160gr bullets and wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer or elk with it at all. Though I doubt she would feel comfortable shooting one out as far as 600 yards, I think it would do the job with the right bullet.

The old standby '06 holds 1,500lbs of energy out to at least 500 yards when loaded with 180gr bullets starting out at at least 2,800fps. If using my choice of 165gr bullets it will do it as well if you handload them to their full potential (I get 3,100fps out of my handloads. This isn't quite a max load in my rifle, but it is close. Definitely start low and work up to these velocities) It holds 1,000lbs of energy out to 500 yards when using 150gr bullets starting at 3,000fps. Heavier bullets of course hold more energy than that.

Here is a ballistic table for the '06:

http://www.cpcartridge.com/30-06B.htm

A good portion of these are definitely on the upper end of what some load books will call for.

If it were me and I was looking for a new gun to do both blacktail deer and elk and reach out to the distances you want, I would pick up either a 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum or a .300 Remington Ultra Mag.

Before everyone has a fit asking why you need that "cannon" to shoot the lowly little blacktail deer, here is my reasoning.

Both of these cartridges are loaded by Remington to different power levels.

These being:

7mm RUM Level I is loaded to equal the .270Win/.280Rem
7mm RUM Level II is loaded to equal the 7mm Rem Mag
7mm RUM Level III is the full power RUM load.

Here is a ballistics table for the 7mm RUM Level III loads:
http://www.cpcartridge.com/7mmultraB.htm

The .300 RUM is loaded similar.

300RUM Level I is loaded to equal the '06
300RUM Level II is loaded to equal the 300 Win Mag/300 Win Short Mag
300RUM Level III is the full power load

Here is the ballistics table for the 300RUM Level III:
http://www.cpcartridge.com/300ultraB.htm

If choosing one of the RUM cartridges/rifles, all you need to do is decide what you are hunting. If the blacktail, pick up a box of the Level I ammunition and have at it. Elk/Moose? Level II (maybe III if you want), large ass bears with an attitude who want to chow down on your ass? Use Level III.

Same thing if using the 7mm RUM.

I have a .300RUM build I am currently sorting out details on myself.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
I don't take game shots over 300, however I do like to see what I can do on paper at 600.By deadly accurate, i'm thinking....8MOA-ish at 600? I used to shoot a .308 for distance, but wouldn't ever think of butchering a blacktail with it. My .243 did just fine in that regard. I'm getting a bonus for reenlisting in theatre, so I feel it is my civic duty to add to the arsenal. The 300 RUM looks like a contender for sure!I have heard too many horror stories about toasting 7RUM barrels. I like the option of getting colder/hotter loads from the factory. Those charts are JUST what I needed to see. VERY much appreciated.

Last edited by BeefCakeScout; 08-05-2012 at 02:20 AM.
BeefCakeScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefCakeScout View Post
I don't take game shots over 300, however I do like to see what I can do on paper at 600.By deadly accurate, i'm thinking....8MOA-ish at 600? I used to shoot a .308 for distance, but wouldn't ever think of butchering a blacktail with it. My .243 did just fine in that regard. I'm getting a bonus for reenlisting in theatre, so I feel it is my civic duty to add to the arsenal. The 300 RUM looks like a contender for sure!I have heard too many horror stories about toasting 7RUM barrels. I like the option of getting colder/hotter loads from the factory. Those charts are JUST what I needed to see. VERY much appreciated.
.300 RUM is going to have harsh recoil and be expensive to shoot IMO, 30-06 , 300 WSM(in a mountain rifle), 300 Win mag would be better choices IMO.

A kimber montana in .300 wsm would be a slick setup for N California terrain.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 38890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
.300 RUM is going to have harsh recoil and be expensive to shoot IMO, 30-06 , 300 WSM(in a mountain rifle), 300 Win mag would be better choices IMO.

A kimber montana in .300 wsm would be a slick setup for N California terrain.
300 WSM isn't cheap to shoot either.

God Bless,
David B.
BOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 177366
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...00-sps-dm.aspx

My pick if I was buying another. .300 win mag, I've shot whitetail with it and wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk, especially if you only intend to hunt to 300 yards. Not to mention it'll punch paper at 1000 if you so desire.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
.300 RUM is going to have harsh recoil and be expensive to shoot IMO
Hell, couldn't be much worse than the toys I play with now
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinOK View Post
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...00-sps-dm.aspx

My pick if I was buying another. .300 win mag, I've shot whitetail with it and wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk, especially if you only intend to hunt to 300 yards. Not to mention it'll punch paper at 1000 if you so desire.
I'll look into it for sure. If the cost to effectiveness is better than the RUM I would be willing to give it hell, But owning a big evil beastly gun is VERY tempting.

EDIT: I am however, pretty much set on the model 700

Last edited by BeefCakeScout; 08-05-2012 at 07:02 AM.
BeefCakeScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 140945
Another satisfied 300 rum shooter here
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 156125
For those of you who have took deer similar in size to the ca black tail inside 150y with a 300wsm, 300rum, 7mm etc, whats your meat looking like?

Tutum te robore reddam
Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49595
I love my 7mm Rem Mag. It has taken many deer out to 400 yards and even more ground hogs... Not much left of the ground hogs and the deer look pretty good.
RSWORDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 177366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
For those of you who have took deer similar in size to the ca black tail inside 150y with a 300wsm, 300rum, 7mm etc, whats your meat looking like?
The whitetail I shot, that I disected, was a clean through double lung and heart shot. The bullet hit a rib going in, blew the side of the heart off, poked through both lungs and went between two ribs on the other side, leaving a gap I could fit three fingers through. The doe took a leap and stumbled all of ten feet, and it was over. I've seen more meat carnage out of my .243 shooting 75gr bullets, when I clipped the back of the leg.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jake- View Post
Another satisfied 300 rum shooter here
Same here. I got a brake (almost an Animator style) and I'd let my sister shoot it. Less felt recoil than my .270 BAR, probably less than a .308 bolt. I might buy a .300 Winmag later, but it won't replace my .300 RUM.

Which gives me an idea. .300 winmag, barrel cut down to 18-20" with a good can? Hogs, I'm coming for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
160 Gr. Nosler Custom. I didn't like the after effects of the soft point bullet hitting bone @ 170ish yards. It basically came apart. Although it did blow the bottom half of the deer's heart out, I still switched to a Barnes Tipped TSX. Hit a mangy, wild dog with one and the results were devestating. The speed and bullet retention caused very significant wound cavitation and perma-death.

Besides the .300 winmag idea above, I'm considering a 7mm RUM as a ground up build. There's always rifles around me for sale. Some dumbass will buy a $500-800 gun and slap a $500-1000 scope on it, hunt for one season, blow a bunch of money and sell it for half-one third of what he's got in it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Quote:
Needs:

what say you PBB?
Hey Fawker !! Weren't you deployed ?? If so welcome back
Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 140945
I shoot 180 gr hot cor soft point handloads through my 300 rum and it doesn't tear up the deer too bad. I can say every deer I have shot with it though act as if they got hit by a freight train . I shot a doe in the head with it last year and it was a clean hole on both sides. I expected her head to be gone.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
Hey Fawker !! Weren't you deployed ?? If so welcome back
Not quite. Still in the 'Stan, but we have teh interwebs!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Good to hear from you. I don't even web when at work Stay low and stay alive.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
Another vote for the .30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag. All the guys I hunt with in Oregon hunt with these two calibers and pretty much hunt in conditions that match what you're looking for. You could upgrade to the 300WM or one of the short mags if you wanted to. Frankly the RUM's are just silly to me unless you really want to reach out and touch something 800+ yards away. For what you want to do, you're not going to NEED an RUM, you may want one, but either of the calibers listed here will be cheaper to shoot with many MANY more off the shelf options of ammunition.

EDIT: Has anyone actually recommended a rifle yet? Shooting Time did a test of a bunch of rifles in their last issue and the winner was the Winchester Model 70. I am a 700 shooter and would recommend one of those. People here seems to love the Howa1500/Smith and Wesson 1500/Weatherby Vanguard rifle. Tikka's got some good recommendations as well. Savage gets the thumbs up from plenty, me included, but Chris is not a fan. I think that's good run down of the last few "What Rifle for me" threads.

Last edited by Diesel Smoke; 08-05-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Diesel Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 177366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
Another vote for the .30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag. All the guys I hunt with in Oregon hunt with these two calibers and pretty much hunt in conditions that match what you're looking for. You could upgrade to the 300WM or one of the short mags if you wanted to. Frankly the RUM's are just silly to me unless you really want to reach out and touch something 800+ yards away. For what you want to do, you're not going to NEED an RUM, you may want one, but either of the calibers listed here will be cheaper to shoot with many MANY more off the shelf options of ammunition.

EDIT: Has anyone actually recommended a rifle yet? Shooting Time did a test of a bunch of rifles in their last issue and the winner was the Winchester Model 70. I am a 700 shooter and would recommend one of those. People here seems to love the Howa1500/Smith and Wesson 1500/Weatherby Vanguard rifle. Tikka's got some good recommendations as well. Savage gets the thumbs up from plenty, me included, but Chris is not a fan. I think that's good run down of the last few "What Rifle for me" threads.
I recommended that 700. I like mine, it's plenty accurate for hunting, its light and tough as hell.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
I guess I should have noted that, after lot of consideration, I am definitely going with the 700. Caliber is the only thing I have to decide on now.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 81232
Quote:
I guess I should have noted that, after lot of consideration, I am definitely going with the 700. Caliber is the only thing I have to decide on now.
Can't go wrong with the rem 700! I'd recommend the .270 or .243 (and quality glass)
GreyZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 175015
Send a message via Yahoo to RichG
30.06 Rem 700 BDL classic, old Vari-X optics, shooting 165gr BTSP Noslers out of reloaded Rem brass. I've had this rifle for close to 20 years, a gift from my FIL, and it's the only hunting rifle I've ever needed or wanted.

If you need more rifle... you're doing it wrong.

Last edited by RichG; 08-06-2012 at 01:48 AM.
RichG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hey Yall Watch This

Member # 204026
No such thing as to much gun.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichG View Post
30.06 Rem 700 BDL classic, old Vari-X optics, shooting 165gr BTSP Noslers out of reloaded Rem brass. I've had this rifle for close to 20 years, a gift from my FIL, and it's the only hunting rifle I've ever needed or wanted.

If you need more rifle... you're doing it wrong.
Yeah, but I like to shoot my zombie targets at long distance.Not to mention, i'm getting a reenlistment bonus (tax free baby!) so I wanna buy a beastly hunting rifle.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 161000
What about the Rem 700 LTR in 308, if they still make them, very accurate, i've shot buffalo here in Oz with mine and they're a big beast. I do prefer the 06 for them though.
Moose2367 is online now   Reply With Quote