Can Arrived! ---------- Damaged FML - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
undefined

Member # 57170
Can Arrived! ---------- Damaged FML

Seriously, I feel like Bad Luck Brian.

Cliffs:
Ordered a Liberty Kodiak TL in OD in Mar(? have to go back and look at he date), apparently the only one in existence and Cursed.

Waited months for the can and it finally came in. Ti tube has a small crease and finish is damaged.

Can Ti be resized for lack of a better term?
The company says they are just going to press the crease out and repaint.

Full Story:

I ordered an expensive (for me $500) well rated Ti/SS can from a well though of company. Liberty Kodiak TL

I've waited months for just the serial number to send in my form 4.

Can finally came in.

There is a visible crease in the tube and the finish is chipped and flaked in a 1" ish section at the muzzle. The take down tools were loose packed in the same box as the can and clearly caused the damage to the finish. Not sure how in hell the Ti tube was creased. The box was fine. The crease did not prevent the removal of the core. I have some pics on my phone. I'll try and get them on here.

The companies initial reaction was (according to my dealer), "take it up with the shipper". After some back and forth they agreed to make another can. I just have to wait a few months for a new serial number.

Finally they came back, with "we'll fix it and repaint it". Which I'm very leery of. I paid for a "new" can I want a new can, not a damaged fixed can. But at this point I don't really have another choice, other than cancel the order entirely.

Sucks every way you look at it. FML.

FYI: Everything I've heard about Liberty is that they are first rate, and apparently I am the first and only person to ever have a problem.

If I had just ordered black I'd probably be posting a vid of me shooting the can right now.

Vince

BRC Member

01 Taco Dcab, bunch of stuff
SEREvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Why would you have to wait for a new ser# ? Thats not even how it would work. If Liberty is willing to make a new tube they would use the existing ser#.

Call and talk to them yourself. They have great customer service.

The way I read your post, the can didn't come from Liberty but from someone who had it is stock. Is that right ?
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 80692
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmup View Post
Why would you have to wait for a new ser# ? Thats not even how it would work. If Liberty is willing to make a new tube they would use the existing ser#.

Call and talk to them yourself. They have great customer service.

The way I read your post, the can didn't come from Liberty but from someone who had it is stock. Is that right ?
The serial number issue is probably true. If we have issues engraving a serial number on a gun, we are required to scrap the frame instead of grinding the numbers off and redoing the numbers. ATF has strict rules regarding them.
Shefron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
undefined

Member # 57170
Can was ordered from Liberty through a local dealer. No one had a OD version in stock, because they had never made one before.

I was told, by the dealer, that they can't make a new part with the same SN. Since all the parts are considered a suppressor by the ATF. Making a new part is making a new can. Or something like that?

That said, the dealer is a brand new local dealer "enthusiast gone pro" type. I have not been 100% happy with him, but it's been over communication issues. I did save $50ish bucks, but would happily paid that at this point for a smoother transaction. 30 days of the delay in getting A SN was his fault, and about 120 days was waiting on Liberty. I started this process in Mar?

I have a thread here somewhere on my interactions with them.

I will be contacting Liberty to hear there side. Bottom line is the can was defective/ damaged before it arrived. No matter how or where I'm the one getting the shaft.

Vince

BRC Member

Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 117898
I would imagine you could send it back and they can destroy it and make a new one with the same serial no. But I don't know shit.
brianZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Vince,
You should contact the mfg yourself. See what they will do.

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITY®.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Someone is mistaken. Call them directly. They "should" have you send your can back. They have the ability to destroy it and make another with the same ser#. It's not uncommon to do this.

Call and ask for David.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
undefined

Member # 57170
Will do, I would have already but found out today after they had closed.

I've heard nothing but good things about Dave and Theresa and Liberty cans. That's a large part of why i dropped the $ with them.

My dealers initial interactions were not with Dave.

I'm not that fired up, since i still have months to wait on my stamp. But there has been enough of a constant irritation that I'm ticked.

BRC Member

Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
That sucks man, I would want a new one..... Or a discount/refund to live with it
Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 72494
No pics?

[QUOTE=BeefCakeScout;10563632]I was, but if you won't kiss me after I blow you then i'll find someone else:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=317103[/IMG]
77bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66259
I would not accept anything in Ti that was "bent back". It will be much more likely to crack there. That's on top of the fact that you are talking about a tube that is being used for precision alignment.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Spruce Moose

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEREvince View Post
Will do, I would have already but found out today after they had closed.

I've heard nothing but good things about Dave and Theresa and Liberty cans. That's a large part of why i dropped the $ with them.

My dealers initial interactions were not with Dave.

I'm not that fired up, since i still have months to wait on my stamp. But there has been enough of a constant irritation that I'm ticked.
man, you should consider yourself lucky you are finding this out during your stamp waiting period. i think liberty will make it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
I would not accept anything in Ti that was "bent back". It will be much more likely to crack there. That's on top of the fact that you are talking about a tube that is being used for precision alignment.
but alignment should be achieved through the internal baffels and shouldnt be effected by the outer tube? i guess it depends on how the can is constructed at the muzzle and where/ how long the crease actually is.

i guess i would be worried, too, that whatever caused the crease, screwed up something on the inside as well.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianZ71 View Post
I would imagine you could send it back and they can destroy it and make a new one with the same serial no. But I don't know shit.
ATF does not allow this.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 28766
Q: If the outer tube is destroyed or damaged beyond repair, may it be replaced?

Unless the outer tube is replaced by the manufacturer prior to its removal from the manufacturing premises for purposes of sale or distribution (see “If a silencer is found to be defective due to the manufacturing process, may it be replaced?”), the replacement of the outer tube amounts to the making of a new silencer. For the registered owner to fabricate a new outer tube, he or she must submit an ATF Form 1 (5320.1), Application to Make and Register a Firearm, pay the making tax of $200, and receive ATF approval. The application to make should indicate that the new tube is being fabricated for use in replacing a damaged outer tube on a registered silencer, and the application should indicate the make, model and serial number of the registered silencer. It would be helpful for the applicant to include a copy of the approved registration for the silencer. Assembly of the newly fabricated tube with the other parts of the registered silencer does not require an additional application to make nor payment of another making tax, as the one Form 1 will provide permission to fabricate the new tube and to assemble it with the old silencer parts. The replacement tube must be marked in accordance with 27 C.F.R. § 479.102. The registrant may use the same serial number that appeared on the damaged tube.

If the registered owner wishes to acquire a replacement tube from a person other than a qualified manufacturer, the replacement tube must be registered as a new silencer by the other person and transferred to the registered owner in accordance with the NFA and GCA. The other person must submit an ATF Form 1, pay the $200 making tax, and receive ATF approval to make the replacement tube. The replacement tube must be marked in accordance with 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.92 and 479.102. The other person would then transfer the replacement tube to the owner of the damaged silencer, subject to the transfer tax, in accordance with the NFA and GCA. The new tube may be then be assembled with the other parts. The original damaged silencer should be reported to the NFA Branch as destroyed.

Alternatively, a qualified manufacturer may replace the tube, report the manufacture on ATF Form 2 (5320.2), Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported, and transfer the replacement tube to the owner in accordance with the NFA and GCA. The transfer must comply with the $200 transfer tax and all other provisions of the NFA, as it would be a new silencer. The replacement tube must also be marked in accordance with 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.92 and 479.102. The required markings include an individual serial number and the name, city, and State of the manufacturer who replaced the tube. The replacement tube may not be marked with the name, city, and State of the original manufacturer of the silencer, as this would be a false marking. Although the new tube is a new silencer for purposes of the NFA, it would be a replacement firearm of the same type as the original silencer, and it may be returned directly to the registrant in interstate commerce in accordance with 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2). The original damaged silencer should be reported to the NFA Branch as destroyed.

ATF Link
Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
undefined

Member # 57170
These are the only pics I have.

Tried to contact Dave today via phone and email. Theresa is supposed to be sending me details via email. I would prefer a call, and specifically requested one. But as long as I get a couple answers I guess it's not a huge deal.

I asked for details on the repairs to the tube and finish.

I'm trying to keep some perspective, since at this point there's nothing I can do about it.

According to my dealer the "fixed" can was shipped out today.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

BRC Member

Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
undefined

Member # 57170
Just received a email back from Dave. I'll post it when I get to a computer.

Bottom line: He explained the repairs well. My can is already on it's way back. I hope I can talk my dealer into going shooting very soon ;-)

Did not cost me time or money, other than a little irritation I can't really complain.

BRC Member

Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Great news.

Personally I wouldn't have worried about the stuff in the pic's but thats just me.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
undefined

Member # 57170
If I were them I would not want that out there as a representative of my work in that $ range.

That said, if they offered me a deal on a Leonidas as an apology I would have sucked it up!

BRC Member