Pirate 4x4 banner

Oh 4runner...

2K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  4runner 
#1 ·
Seems to be a 50's model R16334. 39A Mountie... $250 from my brother. A little sear shaping results in a 2.25 lb trigger pull.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Needs to be refinished...any OSR suggestions? I'm leaning towards case hardened finish on the receiver, blued barrel, and oil the wood up good.

#8 ·
4runner:17114954 said:
Very nice piece. The older models seems to function so much smoother than the new ones. Quality and pride in workmanship.

Bet it shoots nice.
Before I cleaned it, it'd run the nose of a bullet into the top of the barrel end. After a good disassembly and clean... she runs like a gun should. :)

I do need a couple of parts though. The lever and its bolt have some slop, the buttplate is brokeded, and the firing pin is damn near flush.

#14 ·
I might touch the firing pin with some filler rod tomorrow, but I'm gonna fully disassemble and polish the crap out of all the rough parts, slick the slide and internals, clean the bore, and consider sanding the wood.

Maybe the furniture just needs some love and oil. Can you use linseed over finished wood? Never had my hands on the stuff...

I do want the barrel reblued along with the mag tube but not new, pretty, and shiny.

#15 ·
If you use linseed oil remember to properly dispose of the rags as they can spontaneously combust if thrown away in a heap.

When I was a fire fighter we lost 5 house one night when the construction workers doing a remodel threw all the rags away in a cardboard box.

Google it if you are not familiar with linseed oil.

#17 ·
Polish, polishing, polished..... wow what a difference! The action is slick like fresh owl sheeit. Trigger pulled 1.5lbs with a little more fine tuning. Sonofabisch will "Rifleman" like a champ now!

Took apart and decided to polish the following areas.

Attachments

#19 ·
And trigger work plus how to get the hammer out:
Drop the hammer.
Remove the spring retainer by pushing it out to one side.
Remove spring.
Remove screw.
Slide spring rod over the side while you bring the hammer out of the top.
Using a fine flat mill file, reshape the sear area. I brought the angle forward some by gently running the file across it in the non cutting motion. I wiped it with oil but I don't know if it helped with the polishing

Attachments

#20 ·
Nice gun!

I had a model 39 with an octagon barrel. No telling how many things I killed with it when I was a kid. Wish I still had it.

*Highjack*

Been looking at getting the Chargemaster 1500 combo. How do you like it?

Wish Natchez shipped to Alabama.

God Bless,
David B.

#21 ·
BOFF:17130586 said:
Nice gun!

I had a model 39 with an octagon barrel. No telling how many things I killed with it when I was a kid. Wish I still had it.

*Highjack*

Been looking at getting the Chargemaster 1500 combo. How do you like it?

Wish Natchez shipped to Alabama.

God Bless,
David B.
I like it a lot. Everything from Longshot to Retumbo meters out great. Sometimes I'm waiting on it, sometimes its waiting on me... just depends on load and powder.

#26 ·
We have a 1954 Marlin 39A. I love it! It has a little slop in the lever as well, and needs a new buttplate. I have had trouble finding the exact one to replace it with. I want the correct one. It's a sentimental rifle for the wife, and wants it back the way it should be.

#27 · (Edited)
After much confusion and thought, I think I'm gonna replace the buttpad, firing pin, oil it up and call it good. I might look at buying another loop and cutting/fitting/welding it to mine, but that's for later. I shot a few hundred rounds thru it and I really like it as is. I like the worn look of it and I think if I had it blue'd, I'd be looking at a gun that I might not want to carry in the truck as much.

Then again, this might be what I need to get me started on bluing my own stuff. At any rate, I can't do shit right now, as I'm in the GOM and don't have a valid card to order anything with. (GCC thread about debit card fraud)

Edit: I still want to put a scope on it.

#30 ·
Another Gunbroker score.

Mossberg 46M. Tube feed, bolt action goodness! :flipoff2:

By the way, does anyone have any objections to / suggestions on how to mount an ACOG on the Marlin? Serious.

Attachments

#32 ·
IIRC, it's d&t with a skinny mount on it... for sure not pic width. Seems like I have some sections of YHM pic rail somewhere. If it don't work out, I have another gun it can go on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.