Pirate 4x4 banner

How young do you shoot deer?

2K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  rockmup 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this is a really polarizing question, but I have two deer, 1.5 years old,, that are hitting my feeder every day. In this part of the country it's "If it's brown it's down", but I would also like to let them grow up some. This is starting in bow season.

Input?

#4 · (Edited)
4 point or better. Let them babies grow up and improve the quality of the local heards (get the genetics back). Just my rule, the state says anything over 6" (ear length) is legal.
This guy would be O.K. though if I would have seen him during hunting season (yes its legal to take him where he is at)...

Not at the house, just the area (our hayfields are close by)

#9 ·
I've shot a couple that were very young, like grab the hind legs and throw over my shoulder with one hand young. First one was flat hauling ass as she passed me, I thought she was much bigger when I shot.

Second one was during black powder, I shot a nice fat doe, about 45 seconds later here come the fawn running up to the dead doe and bleating and trying to nurse, figured she wasn't going to last long without mom, so better that I eat her than feed the coyotes.

Both were so very tasty, hindquarter that tasted like tenderloin, backstraps that nearly melt in your mouth.

#13 · (Edited)
Me? I have been know to shoot young female deer for taste and population.

Remember, a yearling can't breed. But the larger 1.5yr + doe next to her will most likely have twins. With the population as low as it is I shoot the better tasting deer and let the deer of breeding age go. I might shoot one little one every year, we only get 1-2 doe tags.

I don't shoot at bucks I'm not willing to mount. I've only seen one that fell into that category going on 4 years. If I guess them at 130+, I'll take them.

#14 ·
Shooting young bucks in my opinion (and those I hunt with) is forbidden. In fact, you can be fined (by landowner) where I am. You want bucks to grow and mature, especially if they are healthy and have good genes. Killing them that young only takes away from future potential of your herd. That said- a "big buck" varies to what you have. A shooter obviously varies location to location, but a buck that young? Hold out.

If you're not starving, shoot a doe. Otherwise, sit back and watch nature. I'm down in Camden, SC and we have a couple nice SC bucks. They are out there. SC has nice bucks man, AND it is still VERY EARLY in the season. Bucks are grouped together right now and when they break up you will see different deer.

#18 ·
In my case, I own the land. No landowner fines. I'm not trying to breed big bucks. I want meat. The guys that rent out land for trophies are on the other end of the scale.

I enjoy watching the big bucks. I even enjoy putting them in my crosshairs. I'll never be able to shoot all of the small bucks. My herd is fine because my land isn't over-hunted.

#15 · (Edited)
I've got until the 15th of September to wait and watch the camera. I have two young bucks hitting my feeder, if they give me a shot I'll probably take one since it's my first year on a bow and let the other grow for a few seasons.

I just know the hunters around here don't think twice about it. And I'm mainly in it for the food, but like everyone else I want one I can mount. Waiting for him isn't going to fill the freezer though.

I'm curious to see what comes around in the next few weeks though, I may put out another feeder, my land drops off in the back and I think there are probably more using the low side of the area to move through than slightly up the hill where I currently have my one feeder and one camera. I put it there due to obvious tracks through the area.

I'm hunting a small piece of land (my 2.5 acres, which backs up to another 47 I can't get access to.)

#23 ·
Our rifle season is short, 2 weeks. So, like a lot of you, I meat hunt. The younger, the better. Yearlings, as mentioned, are what I'll gun for.

Bow season lasts right through to December 31. If I have a tag left, I'll look for the big one during this time.

#24 ·
Here for on a regular license for antlerless we are allowed unlimited for archery, 10 for firearm, and 10 for muzzleloader. I will shoot any doe that doesn't have spots. So once they get their winter coat they are fair game. The property I hunt 2.5yo does are getting rare, they are smarter than the 2.5yo bucks

For bucks we are allowed a total of 4. 1 each season, then 1 additional in any season but only after 2 does have been killed. The property I hunt we have a minimum of ear width, which tends to be about a 2.5yo. Most of the guys have started letting those walk hoping for something bigger.

#26 ·
IEATRKS84:27332849 said:
The man who taught me how to hunt recently lives this line like the bible. So i basically never shoot a bucks or even consider taking one unless its ATLEAST a 10 point. That the direction given to me in the field. Nothing under 10 points or if it looks like its genes are bad (fucked up horn or weird leg or something).

Doesnt matter to me anyways. Im in it for the meat and the experience. Not to whip my dick out and talk about some blah blah point massive buck i shot at 500 yards with a .22lr.
Points aren't a good basis for age.

#27 ·
When I took a wildlife technique class in college (wildlife management major) we were taught to use tooth wear on lower jaws to determine the age class of deer. While cruising various hunting forums it's amazing how many people think they can look at a deer and spout out it's age. Spotted fawns are easy :homer:

example

#28 ·
microtus:27342249 said:
When I took a wildlife technique class in college (wildlife management major) we were taught to use tooth wear on lower jaws to determine the age class of deer. While cruising various hunting forums it's amazing how many people think they can look at a deer and spout out it's age. Spotted fawns are easy :homer:

example
On the hoof is tough but you can get a decent estimate of it is a younger buck, buck in its prime or past prime, exact age no probably not.

#29 ·
This.. Basically we just take out the mature bucks that really never developed into much, kill all the does we can get away with (that means shoot a few on opening day, then maybe one or two the rest of the year once they learn the game) then take them out once they start to go downhill once they get some age on them..

#33 ·
I can down 6-10 deer every year here. 3-4 of which can be bucks. ( The variation comes from management area regs )

I shoot does exclusively, all I want is sausage. Thats not to say if I saw a really large buck I wouldn't put it on the wall but I really don't care.

Our does clear 100lbs all the time so I get a lot of sausage. I don't shoot younger does, for no reason in particular.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.