Pirate 4x4 banner

Quick sanity check, alu cased pistol ammo

4K views 82 replies 28 participants last post by  85f150dsel 
#1 ·
.45 ACP if it matters. I know the steel cased stuff is bad ju-ju in rifle caliber's; hard on the gun, etc. Assuming I'm not reloading.... anything wrong with shooting the aluminum cased stuff to save a $?

#61 ·
I'd bet on the barrel wear being more from low quality shitty abrasive powder rather than the bimetal bullet.

.223 is a pretty hot round, and throat wear is something you'll just naturally see results of quicker than on something low pressure like a .30-30

#74 ·
I do typically, I'm reviewing now. After the rash of shit from Ieatrocksguy I figured thread was in downward troll spiral. :(

I'm glad MANY others were able to provide sensible, logical responses, based off their experiences. That was what I wanted and was looking for originally. For that I'm appreciative :)

#75 ·
What the fuck are you blabbering on about "boutique gun"???? A spikes middy is as ordinary as apple pie you nitwit.

You keep trying to bolster your original incorrect claim you started this thread with. But the data youve posted has been thoroughly discussed here and else where to show shooting the dirtiest of steel cased ammo saves you an extensive amount of money even if you end up replacing parts.

#78 ·
An additional point:

Yes, I'm talking talking lighter competition loads and not "buffalo bore" spec here...

I reload the shit out of AL 9mm cases. A couple of us locals do. Newbies come to matches with that shit and make it rain with once-fired casings. Why not actually try it?

Well...

For the record, they usually split on the 8th or 9th reload when you attempt to seat a bullet, when pushing a 147gr ball round at speeds well below 1000fps. They get lost well before that point, ordinarily.

Oh, and any communist gun was designed to fire steel cases ammo. Unless you reload it, I cannot conceive of any reason to feed brass ammo to an AK/SKS. It doesn't care what it eats, save your money.

#79 ·
Oh, and any communist gun was designed to fire steel cases ammo. Unless you reload it, I cannot conceive of any reason to feed brass ammo to an AK/SKS. It doesn't care what it eats, save your money.
I load steel HOT, and it works fine. Used the load data on the can of powder and it flattens the primers to a real sharp edge. :laughing:

You use the RCBS primer pocket swedger with the "small" peg to mash the berdan anvil and then glue in a LR primer with blue loctite.

Works on berdan brass, too. As long as it's the .217ish diameter primers.

#82 ·
My STEn gun hates alum cases anmo...fe3d issues, bullets pushed into the case (shoot with a big bang), and occasionally don't extract....
Brass and steel work just fine and it has hundreds of rds fired without issue....never been cleaned.

The AK feeds anything in the mag...it was cleaned once at an OSR shoot...

The Macs shoot anything without issue...theu get cleaned occasionally. ...

Maybe I need to pay closer attention to guns worth more than a few thousand dollars?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.