Pirate 4x4 banner

Reels Reels Reels..Spinning Vs casting

2K views 57 replies 31 participants last post by  Alpine4x4 
#1 ·
Not really looking for a what's better, just which you prefer & why?

My reel I've had since I was a young kid gave out on me last week, & I'm in the big debate of which to replace it with...

I've been learning to use a casting reel over the past week, but I'm starting to get frustrated & beginning to wonder if I'll gain anything by going to a casting. I can't aim it worth a shit, nor can I get much distance with the damn thing..:confused:

#5 ·
I've used spinning exclusively since I was about 9 and learned how to use something a little more advanced than a Zebco 202. I do a lot of trolling and jigging so the ability to cast heavier baits doesn't do much for me. I also like that on a spinning reel I can easily lift the line off the bail with my finger so that I can better feel bottom and light hits.

I've used some super expensive ones and some cheap ones. I think the Pflueger Presidential offers a fantastic value for its price point and features if you are shopping.

#6 ·
For anything over 8lb test I prefer casting reels. I can cast them much further and with greater accuracy. 6pb test and under I prefer a small spinning reel. I have many casting reels but right now my favorite is the daiwa tatula type r.

#7 · (Edited)
just picked up a new spinning reel the other day for trout this year, pflueger president 30, works really good for a $70 reel. Caught a few mackerel off the wharf with a kastmaster to test it out and it felt really good.

#8 · (Edited)
I mainly fish saltwater(intercoastal) with the occasional lake or tank thrown in between. Friends and I all use a Penn spinning reel. After a salt water trip I break it down and rinse in vinegar.

I'm not dicking around with jigs or anything else. I also need good distance while wade fishing. So bird nesting isn't an issue while waist deep in the gulf.

#17 ·
This is the reel I'm looking at as well...

Question for you folks, is a newer model casting reel a lot more user friendly & functional then an older one? Maybe I would have better results with a lot less frustration if I used a newer model, the one I'm using I'm betting is fairly old..

#12 ·
Last bait caster I used was a 4/0 Penn flipping 6 oz weights and ghost shrimps for sturgeon. Last spin caster was a kids zebco helping the grandkids learn how to cast this past summer. Still use an ultralight spinner for bobber based flies but the "go to" happens to be a Lamson fly reel on a Scott pole.

#14 ·
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Penn spinning reel. I use it mostly for 3-10lb fish on a daily basis. I don't fully understand what makes a baitcaster do certain things better. Anyone care to break it down? I'm not ignorant, it's obvious there's more to them if almost every tournament fisher is using them.

I do 80% or more bass fishing, but I catch trout daily as well, along with as much channel cat fishing as I can manage. I want a reel that will last another 15-20 years like my last one did, but I don't want to shy away from a casting reel if there's any real reason I should have one.

What makes a baitcaster throw heavier line/baits better? I can't get the 1 I'm using to go half as far as my spinning reel does, nor can I get any type of direction from it..

#44 ·
What makes a baitcaster throw heavier line/baits better? I can't get the 1 I'm using to go half as far as my spinning reel does, nor can I get any type of direction from it..
Generally, the pros of a spinner are user friendliness (no backlash) and ability to throw lighter baits farther.

Pros for baitcaster is better line control and more drag capability in a small package.

Cons for spinnners are line twist and the 90* turn the line takes over the bail.

Cons of baitcasters are backlash and it takes lots of practice to cast light baits effectively.

Modern anti backlash controls and slick bearings get around most problems with the baitcasters. The reason they throw farther is as the line runs out from a spinner the friction between line and spool lip increases. Throwing light baits with a baitcaster is still an art that takes practice.

Most good spinners these days have a roller line guide but the 90* turn is still a weak spot. Drags are also a lot better.

#18 · (Edited)
Idaho4x4Bronco:36541554 said:
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Penn spinning reel. I use it mostly for 3-10lb fish on a daily basis. I don't fully understand what makes a baitcaster do certain things better. Anyone care to break it down? I'm not ignorant, it's obvious there's more to them if almost every tournament fisher is using them.

I do 80% or more bass fishing, but I catch trout daily as well, along with as much channel cat fishing as I can manage. I want a reel that will last another 15-20 years like my last one did, but I don't want to shy away from a casting reel if there's any real reason I should have one.

There is more to it than just bait casters are better for heavy lures. Bait casting is a much different set up entirely. The reel is tuned specifically to the weight of the lure. The line and pole are selected based on the target fish and lure. My go to bass set up is a quantum accurist on a 6'6 medium light action with a 14 lbs braided line using soft plastics. With this set up I can dial in the speed of my reel perfectly giving me a much more accurate cast over a further distance. It will also hit the water much lighter because im not launching a heavy weight into the air free spin.

#20 ·
I can't use baitcasters at all unless I'm throwing big swimbaits for bass or musky. The only baitcast combo I own is a St. Croix mojo musky and an Abu Garcia C4, which is actually a pretty sweet setup. Other than that I have two Fenwick elite tech rods with Okuma hardstone reels and a cheap Abu Garcia MH rod with a cheap Okuma spinning reel. One day I'll replace that with a G Loomis GL2 and an Okuma RTX. I don't really feel like I'm losing a lot by not using baitcasters, but I don't fish a lot of super weedy lakes and feel like I need to use 65lb braid to be able to keep bass out of the weeds. I like Seagur Senshi mono on which is a pretty small diameter line so I can use a smaller size reel and still have plenty of line and not get tired out from using a big reel for hours. I also tend to fish too fast, so having a slower ratio reel does help me slow down. You just need to find what works best for you

#23 · (Edited)
I didn't see you mention what reel you have, but they all have a casting drag that you need to adjust. Here's how I do it:

Hold the rod horizontal with the lure and weight you're using hanging on the line.

Thumb the spool and flip the release, then lift your thumb and watch the spool while the weight drops to the ground.

If the spool keeps rolling fast after the weight hits the ground, the drag is too loose. If the weight drops slowly and the spool stops when the weight stops, the drag is too tight. Adjust the drag so you don't get a free running spool when the weight hits the ground.

I run the drag on the loose side, and thumb the spool as my bait hits the water when I cast. This gets me the most distance without the birdsnest, but it takes a lot of practice. Best to start on the tight side and loosen it in very small increments as you go.

Hope this helps.

PS: I have a Shimano Sahara 4500 and it's a fantastic spinning reel. I've pulled everything from trout to 16lb steelhead with it. Great reel for the money.

#24 · (Edited)
i used a Shakespeare 35 EZ cast sprinning reel for 10 years, beat the fuck out of it hiking along rivers. Pulled in hundreds of trout and a few times ive nailed 6 mackerel at once with a sibiki. If you want another reel that will last you forever just get one of those for $10.

Or you could do the smart choice and get the Penn or the Pflueger

#26 ·
Like stated above it completely depends on presentation and what fish you are targeting. Certain line, lure, water and fish require different combos. When I had a bass boat it had 5-6 casting reels and 3 spinning on the deck at all times.

Now I'm kayak fishing and usually have two spinning and two casting but I have to say it's been a learning experience using my bait casters while seated. It has taken a lot of practice and seat time to get the wrist action adjusted and the follow through correct. It's completely different from standing and casting. Also the angle of approach from standing on a deck to basically sitting at the water line is drastically different. Sometimes it's actually easier to get a spinning reel to drop a lure in under limbs.

I like how easily you can tune a casting reel for the lure you are using and I like how a good braid runs in a casting reel. I only run flouro or mono on my spinning reels.

I miss my boat, it's a pain to flip a jig accurately from the kayak while sitting.

Go sit a small bucket in the yard as a target and put on a weighted float similar in size to your favorite lure. Practice casting into the bucket. My neighbors laughed when I was sitting in the yard in the kayak with buckets around. Way easier to do it in the yard and look stupid than losing expensive crank baits in the water.

#34 ·
Like big dreaming said there should be a little knob next to the drag adjustment. Loosened is less spool tension. Release the spool and see how fast the lure drops. If it doesn't drop at all there is too much tension, the drop rate really depends on your lure weight and casting style/experience. You really don't have to sling a properly tuned bait caster. There is a fine line between spool tension and brake adjustment. Some rod/reels I have are happy with no brake and a little spool tension, some prefer a little brake and no spool tension. It also depending on your thumb pressure on the line.

I roll cast for long range, two hands and a wrist roll, tip of the rod kind of does an elipse/ cork screw barrel roll. I never throw a bait caster straight overhand. Hell I very rarely toss a spinning rod over hand, almost always a side arm with that style. Too many limbs where I fish to toss it over hand.

I also prefer braid on most of my casting reels because it has very low memory and for ME I have less issues with it. I typically run dark green power pro 30# which has a 8lb dia, or I run the light green power pro in 20# for lighter baits.

#35 ·
Alright, soo...

The reel I just used at the lake isn't quite as new as I had thought(I think)..It's a Diawa magforce, with 10lb test on it. The one I've been learning on is a proqualifier PQ1000HS with 8lb I put on it. First thing I noticed today was it seemed to have a much better feel to it, as well as direction with a 6ft medium action rod, vs the MH 7ft rod on the PQ1000. For whatever reason, I still can't get the MH rod to go in the exact direction I intend it to go, where as the magforce/medium rod I was able to get a lot better aim with.

The adjustment screws for the spool tension, I loosened both of them a 1/4 turn or so & it seemed to be smoother & gained 10ft of distance or so on the PQ. With a frog, a buzzbait, & a 1/2oz jig, I would guess I was getting 60ft of casting distance from each rod/reel combo.

Does that seem like it's not nearly as far as it should be going or is it just me?

Question, it seems like braid throws a lot better on a casting reel, correct? If so, how much are we talking? I plan to fish with mostly braided line from now on, is a spinning reel going to have an ill effect on that?

#40 ·
Good to know. I've been hammering decent size bass a lot lately, but I've had trouble with the lighter mono in the thick vegetation where I've been fishing. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks of practicing before I decide to make any type of purchase.

Thanks fellas. Now go back to chit chat & argue with each other.:flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.