Hey gun nuts! Got one of these? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 5380
Hey gun nuts! Got one of these?

22 conversion kit

What do you know about them? How do you like yours if you've got one? :noappropriatesmilie:
Old 07-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
I have friend that has/had the exact same kit.
He said he used it once, and decided that he would rather shoot 9mm in his pistol and never used it again.

He said if he wanted to shoot a 22, he would shoot his 22 pistols

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2004, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk
I have friend that has/had the exact same kit.
He said he used it once, and decided that he would rather shoot 9mm in his pistol and never used it again.

He said if he wanted to shoot a 22, he would shoot his 22 pistols
That's JUST what I was thinking. If you wanted to shoot 22 rounds why spend 500 on a pistol then 250 more on a conversion kit when you can get a freakin target 22 pistol for 250. Just to be badass lookin I guess.

:edit: You can easily find 9mm rounds for 9.99/box of 100. After 100 rounds you aren't going to be wanting to shoot anymore...I just don't see the point.

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.

Last edited by braxton357; 07-28-2004 at 01:35 PM.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5380
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxton357
You can easily find 9mm rounds for 9.99/box of 100. After 100 rounds you aren't going to be wanting to shoot anymore...I just don't see the point.
I generally shoot over 300 rouonds at the range. The only 22 pistol I own is a single action revolver. I thought it might be fun to shoot 22 out of my beretta, but it certainly wouldn't even *look* badass.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
I buy 9mm for $6 for 50, and usually buy them by the thousand.
I would be in the poor house if I had to pay $9.99.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
Quote:
Did you not read the post? $9.99 for a box of 100, you pay $6 for 50, so you are paying more than that...
Old 07-28-2004, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:
That's JUST what I was thinking. If you wanted to shoot 22 rounds why spend 500 on a pistol then 250 more on a conversion kit when you can get a freakin target 22 pistol for 250. Just to be badass lookin I guess.

:edit: You can easily find 9mm rounds for 9.99/box of 100. After 100 rounds you aren't going to be wanting to shoot anymore...I just don't see the point.
I'd do it because I have a ton of $$ in my H&K .40 already so why buy another gun. But they don't make one for mine.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Quote:

Pssst...100/2=50 10/2=5 6>5 (remember--alligator mouth eats the bigger number).

Seriously though, the 9mm IS a compromise gun. It's big enough to be able to say "I could possibly hurt someone if I get a good shot" yet small enough to say " you can buy ammo for me cheaply and shoot me all day without being sore, you limp wristed pansy-german sympathizer". So go buy a .45 or larger, then buy a 22 semi-auto of some sort and have the best of both worlds instead.

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
Old 07-28-2004, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Quote:
Pssst...100/2=50 10/2=5 6>5 (remember--alligator mouth eats the bigger number).

Seriously though, the 9mm IS a compromise gun. It's big enough to be able to say "I could possibly hurt someone if I get a good shot" yet small enough to say " you can buy ammo for me cheaply and shoot me all day without being sore, you limp wristed pansy-german sympathizer". So go buy a .45 or larger, then buy a 22 semi-auto of some sort and have the best of both worlds instead.
You calling me a pansy?
I may not be a mathematician, but I ain't no pansy - you want me to use my little ole 9mm on you?
That's what I thought

Ballistically, a 9mm is identical to a 45 ACP. All non-magnum pistol cartridges are marginal in my book. They are designed to hit center of mass at 25 yards which will effectively stop 99.5% of attackers.

On that note (I wish I would have saved the article) here are some interesting statistics that I read:

98% of altercations are diffused when a gun is pulled
90% of altercations that shots are fired, no one is injured
95% of people injured in these altercations are non-fatally wounded

I don't remember the exact numbers but you get the point.
Since you are the mathematician, you figure out what the chances of fatally shooting someone in an altercation.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 23596
an uncle of mine has one for a colt 1911, he got the pistol for $45 and the kit used for dirt cheap as well. its useful for just plinking or teaching kids to shoot, etc
Napoleon047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 20084
[QUOTE=braxton357]That's JUST what I was thinking. If you wanted to shoot 22 rounds why spend 500 on a pistol then 250 more on a conversion kit when you can get a freakin target 22 pistol for 250. Just to be badass lookin I guess.[QUOTE]

You're missing the point. If you own a 9mm and want to get a feel for the gun and become very proficient at operating it, it will take practice. With that said, it will be easier and cheaper to convert to .22, rather than popping off 9mm rounds all day. And in the end, you're still handling and pointing the 9mm. Now yes that only applies to the highly serious gun nut, but that's not to say it doesn't serve a purpose. I mean, which would you rather fire all day long:
Attached Images

MonsterGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterGM
You're missing the point. If you own a 9mm and want to get a feel for the gun and become very proficient at operating it, it will take practice. With that said, it will be easier and cheaper to convert to .22, rather than popping off 9mm rounds all day. And in the end, you're still handling and pointing the 9mm. Now yes that only applies to the highly serious gun nut, but that's not to say it doesn't serve a purpose. I mean, which would you rather fire all day long:
And you are going to become proficient with a gun that handles, and shoots differently than it will when you need those skills and it's loaded with a real round.

The kits are a waste in my opinion.

Get a .22 pistol. Practice shooting the shit out of it to learn good shooting habits and skills. Take it wheeling with you as a snake gun.

Then spend the money on real ammo for your carry-gun. Learn to shoot that the way it is supposed to be shot. When you need to use it, it will handle exactly like it is supposed to, and exactly like you are used to.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 7444
I have the Marvel conversion for a 1911.
It works better than I do.

Why?
Why not?

K.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 144
Quote:
"I could possibly hurt someone if I get a good shot"

Tell ya what, you can volunteer to stop a much more accurate triple tap with a 9mm while your still dealing with that magnum
Old 07-28-2004, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7134
Send a message via ICQ to NotQuiteSane
Quote:
Because the conversion kit is legally not a fire arm, in some jursisdictions here and abroad, it's easier to obtain vs another firearm

NQS

Currently on [url=http://members.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aboutme/nqs%40tigger.tmcom.com/]ebay[/url]: Nothing

[url=http://tigger.tmcom.com/~nqs/blogger.html]As I see it[/url] -- An irregular blog
NotQuiteSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteSane
Because the conversion kit is legally not a fire arm, in some jursisdictions here and abroad, it's easier to obtain vs another firearm

NQS

Just wondering if you had a reason for it other than the typical of my friends "I just wasted $700 that pistol 'cause it looked cool". And around here it would truthfully be cheaper to just go buy a target .22.

MonsterGM, you get no opinion in ANY pbb subject let alone one pertaining to things that go "boom". If you wanted to learn how a self defense pistol shot so you'd be ready, why the hell would you use something that didn't weigh the same or shoot a round anywhere near as large?

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
Old 07-28-2004, 07:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 19678
Send a message via AIM to stone
yes i have the same conversion for my beretta, some times its picky about ammo would be the only complaint i have. i have a colt conv for my 45s and ARs and they are the same about picky some times. mostly lead 22's is what it doesnt like because the projectile will become deformed at the nose from the ramp. so as long as its plated its fine. ciener has been in business for ever, we have been selling his coversions for quite some time. buy it and u will be happy, i like going to the range with it to play with. and this talk about 9mm being pussy i find funny. i mean seriously guys are your dicks that small?

03 z71tahoe for all the hardcore stuff
stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone
yes i have the same conversion for my beretta, some times its picky about ammo would be the only complaint i have. i have a colt conv for my 45s and ARs and they are the same about picky some times. mostly lead 22's is what it doesnt like because the projectile will become deformed at the nose from the ramp. so as long as its plated its fine. ciener has been in business for ever, we have been selling his coversions for quite some time. buy it and u will be happy, i like going to the range with it to play with. and this talk about 9mm being pussy i find funny. i mean seriously guys are your dicks that small?
Nobody called the 9mm pussy. I only quoted one (this was a ruger btw) as stating
Quote:
you can buy ammo for me cheaply and shoot me all day without being sore, you limp wristed pansy-german sympathizer
Now if you are in fact one of these persons that he was speaking of, sorry. Mr. S Ruger has been known to piss people off at times (NAACP?) and yes, he genitalia has been known to be on the small side.

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
Old 07-28-2004, 08:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hef

Member # 11907
Send a message via AIM to Hef
22LR conversions are a waste of money IMO. If you want a .22LR, buy a .22LR.

If you are planning on carrying a 9mm then you ought to practice with the very gun you intend to carry. Strip it, clean it, put it back together and fire the hell out of it until you know your weapon well enough to strip it in the dark. You will know every feature of the gun by feel. You will know exactly what to expect for recoil, muzzle climb, etc.

A 22LR conversion will only fawk that up if you plan on going back to 9mm.

Besides, you REAAAAAALLLY have to be a pussy if you can't handle a 9mm.
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 9070
Send a message via AIM to jekbrown Send a message via Yahoo to jekbrown
i dunno, if I owned a 40 or 10mm i might consider a conversion worth it... I carry a 9mm on/off duty and ammo for it is so cheap that i dont mind paying the extra $ in exchange for having the right amount of recoil etc.

AFA the 9mm being "weeny"... its true that it isnt as powerful as other handgun rounds out there, but it can certainly be used to good effect. Counter-terrorist teams all over use (or did use) sub guns in 9mm. Not to mention that the 9mm has killed more people than any other handgun round....

j

[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown]my 85 K5[/url]
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
nada

Member # 7975
Quote:

Seriously though, the 9mm IS a compromise gun.
Not exactly... by wound channel alone you might be correct, but the 9mm has several tactical advantages over the .45.

In a direct action role the 9mm has less felt recoil (Even if more muzzle flip), less muzzle flash, and is much quieter than a .45. There are also a huge supply of subsonic rounds for the 9MM that allow the user to effectively silence their weapon for sentry removal. The mag capacity is higher, and the accuracy is equal if not greater because of the higher velocity of standard rounds.

I think that if you are shooting at any sort of competent level and are looking to kill that 9mm is an acceptable option. I am shopping a Gemtech equipped 9mm right now... probably HK.

I currently own several .45's and love them... but from a tactical duty pistol perspective I am begining to see the benfits of the 9mm parabellum round.

Doug

Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:36 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K
Not exactly... by wound channel alone you might be correct, but the 9mm has several tactical advantages over the .45.

In a direct action role the 9mm has less felt recoil (Even if more muzzle flip), less muzzle flash, and is much quieter than a .45. There are also a huge supply of subsonic rounds for the 9MM that allow the user to effectively silence their weapon for sentry removal. The mag capacity is higher, and the accuracy is equal if not greater because of the higher velocity of standard rounds.

I think that if you are shooting at any sort of competent level and are looking to kill that 9mm is an acceptable option. I am shopping a Gemtech equipped 9mm right now... probably HK.

I currently own several .45's and love them... but from a tactical duty pistol perspective I am begining to see the benfits of the 9mm parabellum round.

Doug

You should move to Idaho and join a militia then.

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
Old 07-29-2004, 08:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
nada

Member # 7975
My firearm agenda is geared around the salivating masses of the encroaching horde.

I passed up a couple opportunities to do Security work in iraq, and now all I think about is fire superiority...

Not to mention you know how much fun it is to live in a country club and shoot squirrels in your backyard with a silenced weapon?

Doug

Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
if i found one on ebay for $100 for my 1911 and i was bored and i had the money to blow and didnt have any thing at all more important to buy
I "might" buy one and thats because .45 ammo can get pricy.

i would not buy it for "getting familiar"with my weapon

i would not buy it for getting used to the aim point of my weapon

and i definatly would not buy it if i owned a 9mm. shit, 9mm ammo is cheap as it is

and i wouldnt buy it for a 92f,hell i wouldnt own a 92f i HATE those fawking guns with a passion

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
90% of altercations that shots are fired, no one is injured
95% of people injured in these altercations are non-fatally wounded

Does anyone else read this as "majority of people are lousy shots"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote