Learn me on AK-47s and variants - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Learn me on AK-47s and variants

Well i am seriously concidering a new toy for not a whole hella lot of cash and the AK seems to fit the bill. Basicly what i want is your first hand info/input on what model you have/had and likes and dislikes of that make/model. Also any tips you can throw around to an AK newb.

i realy realy LOOOVE the look of an AMD 65 and was wondering how hard it is to convert a basic AK to this variant. Is it just change out parts and use the old reciever or what? also does anyone just sell a FINISHED AK reciever ? not an 80% or "in white" but a finished reciever so i can make an AMD65 without having to buy a whole gun first .

thanks and keep the info comming

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
I love my AK.

It's a cheap-ass commie-rifle, but unlike some of my more expensive guns, it has NEVER failed to fire. I shoot the cheap russian Wolf ammo through it, rarely clean it, and kick it around the campsite like a stray dog that just stole my steak and pissed on my tent.

For the price, you can't go wrong with an AK.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 26083
Be careful as to what you get. Stay away from some of the Romanian ones as they will only accept single stack mags so you can't use High capacity with them or you will have to pay thru the nose for special ones. For an AMD65 Best bet would be to buy a parts kit and a reciever and build your own. Alot cheaper. Just my .02

http://villian007.tripod.com/
Old 01-18-2005, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9614
WHEEEEEEEE!!!!!

For the bulk of your questions, www.ak-47.net

I've seen AMD65's sell at AIM Surplus, along with a number of other complete imported AK variants. Their stock seems slim at present.

edit: I should also note that since the barrel is only about 13" long, constructing an AMD65 from parts is still quite illegal.

Last edited by fullygruntled; 01-18-2005 at 09:02 AM.
fullygruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 26083
Another link you may find helpful..

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/amd.html

Dammit too slow....
Old 01-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
ya i have been reading on the assortment of AK boards for the last few days. and i also learned that the diffrence between high and low cap mag usage is a dremel tool away

I want a nice "evil" rifle and the AMD seems to fit that bill

keep throwing info and hints..i am all ears

New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25371
i hear they shoot better if you dress like this

Old 01-18-2005, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullygruntled
edit: I should also note that since the barrel is only about 13" long, constructing an AMD65 from parts is still quite illegal.
get a longer muzzle break from a couple of diffrent places or pay for the tax stamp on a short rifle

Old 01-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9614
I imagine you've also read up on milled vs. stamped receivers, too.

Generally, stay away from Chinese manufactured AKs for anything but a cheap beater.

IIRC, Bulgarian actions were most desired by the builders.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9614
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
get a longer muzzle break from a couple of diffrent places or pay for the tax stamp on a short rifle
re: the tax stamp, you kinda cross the line delineating "cheap" and the other choices... plus, you live in MD... plus, you essentially give the ATF permission to search you whenever they feel like it. Class 3 can be a royal pain in the rump.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5132
"The AK-47 assault rifle, the prefered weapon of your enemy. Makes a distinctive sound when fired at you."
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullygruntled
re: the tax stamp, you kinda cross the line delineating "cheap" and the other choices... plus, you live in MD... plus, you essentially give the ATF permission to search you whenever they feel like it. Class 3 can be a royal pain in the rump.
i will just stick the longer brake on it these fawkers around here scare me

Old 01-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 26083
"I'm Mean, Nasty, and Tired. I piss Napalm, and Chew Concertina Wire and I can put a round thru a Flea's ass at 500 meters, so do me a favor mutt face and go hump someone elses leg before I push yours in"

Great Movie.:lol:
Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 10124
What kind of prices are you seeing on these guns anyway?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 9636
Send a message via AIM to Chemical442 Send a message via Yahoo to Chemical442
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomarocks
i hear they shoot better if you dress like this

• Rock Rash Racing #613 Racefuel Sponsor
Chemical442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 26083
And Chem Brings the Funny.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip DeLips
What kind of prices are you seeing on these guns anyway?
base model decent AK able to take high cap mags and not fawked $350

AMD 65 "parts kit" 150-165

Old 01-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
big bird

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
I've got an AK-74, and actually prefer the 5.45x39 cal to the 7.62, mainly because the 5.45 is more accurate, has a more flat trajectory, and has less recoil. Downside is it's not as easy to come by.

Stay away from Hesse/Vulcan recievers. Their ejector rails are not heat treated, and tend to be rather soft. Mine has worn out, and had I known then what I know now, I would have not gotten one built from a Hesse reciever.

You might also look into the Vepr variants, made by robarms. They're extremely nice, and damn accurate. I've shot one in the 7.62 cal and loved it. I'm planning on getting one in the 5.45 cal for my next AK purchase.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
ok has anyone MADE thier own AK from a flat reciever? i am looking at this and with my basic machining/welding/knifesmithing skills i think i could easily do that

and for the "Thats illegal" people
With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms.
However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from
imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be
approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]

Old 01-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Link for what i am talkin about

Old 01-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 22558
Whoever said Romanian's can't accept double stack is dead wrong. I have several Romanian AK variants that are all all double stack SAR-1, SAR-2, SAR-3, WASR-10's all are double stack.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/N...zle_Break.html

There is a WASR-10 for 329. I've shot thousands of rounds through my WASR-10 and have never had a problem. Awesome gun for a cheap price.
txjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
CMF

Member # 36775
Look at the SAIGA, 5.45x39, 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 308. New, affordable (<$300) and convert nicely.

I just bought the 308 w/ 16" barrel (also available in 22") and love it.

These aren't mine, but should give you an idea...

CMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 5132
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
ok has anyone MADE thier own AK from a flat reciever? i am looking at this and with my basic machining/welding/knifesmithing skills i think i could easily do that

and for the "Thats illegal" people
With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms.
However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from
imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be
approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]

Maybe contact that old boy on here from Pakistan. Maybe he has first hand knowledge of the manufacturing that went on in his neck of the woods from the Soviet invasion. I read that there was quite a few backyard machinists putting AK's out during that time.
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray Boudreaux
Maybe contact that old boy on here from Pakistan. Maybe he has first hand knowledge of the manufacturing that went on in his neck of the woods from the Soviet invasion. I read that there was quite a few backyard machinists putting AK's out during that time.
thinking about a 80% reciever because it is already heat treated... and it counts as a US built part

its only $60 till the gun shop rapes me on FFL shipment

Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 3000
I have assembled 3 different AKs on both the Ohio ordinance and the global trades receivers. For $70 you can buy a complete reciever vs $ 40-50 for a flat. I would recomend a regular type AK for the first build over the 65. Granted the 65 is fun, but the12.5" barrel vs the 16.5 barrel on a standard AK makes a big difference in accuracy. Contrary to what others may say a Hungarian or Bulgarian variant is quite accurate out to about 200 yards, after that the bullet drops quite a bit. The 7.62x39 is balisticaly similar to the 30-30 and muzzle velocity is a consistant 2400FPS. An extended brake has to be either 1100 degree soldered on or welded, making it a permanant part of the barrel.
If you can find an '"AMD63" parts kit to build they are very well made and have a deffinite accuracy edge over the 65. Make sure to comply with US Parts regulations.
Tapco WWW.Tapco.com has a complete kit that they are selling for the 65 with all Us Compliance parts you will need. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail as I am not on pirate nearly as much as I used to be.
Aron82 is offline   Reply With Quote