Personal arsenal ideas - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9328
Personal arsenal ideas

I'm working on a small personal arsenal, that is small but practical that can be taken with quickly and easily if need be. I figure it should consist of 2 handguns, 1 shotgun and 1 rifle of decent stopping power.

I's like some recommendations to fill those 4 requirements, along with ammo. Remember, only those 4.

I firmly believe the shit is going to hit the fan on our soil in a huge way in the next 18 months, the terrorists are laughing with glee right now after that botched election we just had.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 717
Send a message via ICQ to Desert Jeepin Send a message via AIM to Desert Jeepin Send a message via Yahoo to Desert Jeepin
I dont know, but how do you plan on carrying them? 1 large hard case?

I thought about this, back with the SHTF thread. Most guns are in the safe, but which ones do you leave out? Why? Are they "in the open" or in cases? Are they stashed?

Lots of strategy to be had here!
Spotter, Team Raffle F-Toy, #50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
wait... hold the homophone... you're ghey?
Desert Jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Jeepin
I dont know, but how do you plan on carrying them? 1 large hard case?

I thought about this, back with the SHTF thread. Most guns are in the safe, but which ones do you leave out? Why? Are they "in the open" or in cases? Are they stashed?

Lots of strategy to be had here!
Safely stored but easily accessible. Those are more considerations.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Juggernaut

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Rifle- FN-FAL
Shotgun- Remington 1187 special purpose
Hand guns- Thompson auto ordnance 1911A1 and Kimber Combat Commander
That's the cream of my safe. I have lot's of other stuff, but if my family was in danger, one of the above would be my first grab.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9614
handgun #1 - Ruger .22 revolver or semi, 1911-style .45ACP, or SIG 9mm
handgun #2 - Blackpowder cap-and-ball pistol
shotgun - Remington 870, or blackpowder shotgun
rifle - FN FAL, Remington 700, or blackpowder flintlock rifle

I mention blackpowder arms because ammunition WILL eventually be very scarce. You can make your own bp easily enough, and there should be plenty of lead available in the form of wheel weights and whatnot.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 82054
Location: Yarrr, I be sailin' the seas of the coast of Massachusetts!
An AR-15 will fit the bill for the rifle, and there are many accessories for it as well. It has plenty of power, even when chambered with the 5.56mm (roughly .223 cal) ammo.

Mossberg makes good shotguns, and they are inexpensive as well. A 12 guage with slugs or buckshot (don't use birdshot as it doesn't have much if any stopping power) will work wonders.

I am partial to Smith & Wesson handguns since I live 10 minutes from the factory and go to the range there on a semi-regular basis. Their pistols chambered in .40 SW have almost the same stopping power as a .45 ACP and the ammo is cheaper. They have a wide selection of revolvers as well, including the 500 Magnum, but that is total overkill.
BloodyTomFlint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9614
Look at your firearm choices this way:
A rifle should be adequate to take down large game at a realistic range

A shotgun should be adequate for taking small game close up

A handgun should be adequate for trying to get a replacement rifle or shotgun if need be
Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 15436
OK I'll give it a stab:

Shotgun:
Remington 870 12ga. 20" bbl modded with extended mag tube, Weaver rail-type scope mount & red-dot sight (Trijicon or Aimpoint) and self-lit ghost-ring sights.

Handgun/Rifle combos:
Ruger P944 pistol - PC4GR carbine (.40 s&w) or P89/P95 pistol - PC9GR carbine (9mm) Add self-lit sights to both. These use common magazines. Pick who you want to "borrow" ammo from... the cops or the troops.

Ruger GP100 revolver - Winchester 94 Trapper in .357 Mag... or Super Redhawk Alaskan - Winchester 94 Trapper in .44 Rem Mag... both combos are "old school" but effective.

Odd .22 rimfire handgun:
Ruger 22/45 auto (or Bearcat revolver if you are allergic to self loaders.)
I'd lose the fancy adjustable sights, and add self-lit "dot" sights. Also would thread the barrel for a muffler.

Fullywhackodude: "A handgun should be adequate for trying to get a replacement rifle or shotgun if need be" EXACTLY RIGHT

Last edited by Don "Woody" Woodward; 11-09-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Don "Woody" Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 34936
Quote:
Originally Posted by landuseorc

I firmly believe the shit is going to hit the fan on our soil in a huge way in the next 18 months, the terrorists are laughing with glee right now after that botched election we just had.
So, is this arsenal for waging a one man war on the terrorists or for survival in the middle of nowhere until the poo is cleanly wiped from the fan? That would have a slight impact on the guns I'd choose...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9614
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcasejeep
So, is this arsenal for waging a one man war on the terrorists or for survival in the middle of nowhere until the poo is cleanly wiped from the fan? That would have a slight impact on the guns I'd choose...
I'd reckon the latter is more realistic... so you'd better suggest the former for Mr. Orc.

edit: (don't want to sound like too much of a dick)

Last edited by fullygruntled; 11-09-2006 at 08:32 AM.
fullygruntled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5829
Remember that old saying, K.I.S.S.? Keep It Simple, Stupid...

4 guns, two calibers.
.38 special and 20 guage shotgun (bear with me here)

Your choice of semi-auto pistols or revolvers, whatever you are most comfortable with. Easy enough.

Winchester 94 lever-action .357 rifle, shoot .38's in it. Good human-stopping power, small size, can carry lots of rounds. Keep several bandoliers full & handy (one on the bedpost even). 9mm is smaller but then you are dealing with 3 different rounds & personally I trust a half-ass aimed .38 to stop someone versus a 9mm.

20 ga. pump shotgun. Why not 12 ga? Because the shells are considerably smaller thus taking up less room/weight to carry more ammo with. Slugs, buckshot, and don't forget some bird shot for small game = food. If you run low/out of shells just obtain a 12 ga. from one of those poor bastards that tried to take your stuff.

#5 gun is heavier caliber rifle. If you need long-range shots, 30-06 will do the trick and bulk ammo is not a problem.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 9614
[QUOTE=0ILBURNER]9mm is smaller but then you are dealing with 3 different rounds & personally I trust a half-ass aimed .38 to stop someone versus a 9mm.[quote]
.38spl and 9mmP are essentially ballistic twins.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 17311
I already have three of the four.

I have a double barrel stroeger shotgun: 12 gauge Would be better as a Rem 870 12 gauge
Ruger P345 .45 ACP Stopping power
KelTek p3at .380 Auto Best in concealability
and I need:

A M4 or M16. parts and ammo are plentiful
Old 11-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 5829
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullygruntled
.38spl and 9mmP are essentially ballistic twins.
Little more to it than ballistics for me. Majority of the cops I have known would rather use a .38. (Actually I use .357 but I was recomending .38 for ease of carry)
Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 46933
.357 magnum revolver/.45LC single action revolver
.357 lever action rifle/.45LC lever action rifle
12 guage shotgun, Mossberg or Remington for durability
30-06 bolt action rifle, remington, Winchester

30-06 is cheap and readily available as surplus ammunition, makes sniping game or terrorists a breeze

getting your handguns in the same caliber as your rifles is a smart move. the lever action rifle was the assult rifle of the old west.

revolvers for durability and functionality, it is hard to jam one
Old 11-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 6957
i plan on staying put when the shtf so i can keep more arms with me so anybody know how to make a tin foil hat???
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 9614
Don't forget to get a single stage reloading press and dies for the appropriate calibers, along with a bullet puller; you can easily make workable ammo from whatever you find that your firearms can't eat.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Juggernaut

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
A freind of mine used to have a revolver that would shoot .357 .38 .380 and about five different types of 9MM. both rimmed and rimless cartridges. It had a wire retainer in the cylinder to catch the rimless cartridges.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 29271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ILBURNER
Remember that old saying, K.I.S.S.? Keep It Simple, Stupid...

4 guns, two calibers.
.38 special and 20 guage shotgun (bear with me here)

Your choice of semi-auto pistols or revolvers, whatever you are most comfortable with. Easy enough.

Winchester 94 lever-action .357 rifle, shoot .38's in it. Good human-stopping power, small size, can carry lots of rounds. Keep several bandoliers full & handy (one on the bedpost even). 9mm is smaller but then you are dealing with 3 different rounds & personally I trust a half-ass aimed .38 to stop someone versus a 9mm.

20 ga. pump shotgun. Why not 12 ga? Because the shells are considerably smaller thus taking up less room/weight to carry more ammo with. Slugs, buckshot, and don't forget some bird shot for small game = food. If you run low/out of shells just obtain a 12 ga. from one of those poor bastards that tried to take your stuff.

#5 gun is heavier caliber rifle. If you need long-range shots, 30-06 will do the trick and bulk ammo is not a problem.

Glad someone else was thinking Model 94. If it was good enough for the old west, it is good enough for survival times.

Like the 20 ga. thinking also.

Gun number 5 for me would be a .45-70 though.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 34936
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullygruntled
so you'd better suggest the former for Mr. Orc.

I think that Mr. Orc could take a few terrorists.

There are two reasons you'd need guns in the middle of nowhere, SHTF situation: self defense and procuring meat. A .22 would probably work for 90% of the latter.
Someone mentioned duplicating rounds between pistol and rifle, and I'm not big on shotguns myself. So for game, a Ruger 10/22 and Mark II pistol with a lot of .22 hollow points. Cheap, reliable, accurate. The whitetail are small enough around here they can(illegally if you care about that) be taken with a .22. It's quiet enough you won't attract attention, especially if properly equipped. For larger bore, a .44 mag chambered Win. '94 and .44 revolver would work. In a lot of areas the .44 mag is not a long enough range caliber though.

side note- some .22 bolt and lever action rifles can take L, LR, and short so a few boxes of short would be nice for being especially quiet.

edit: .22 revolver in place of Mk II would be good- Ruger Single six can change drums from .22LR or .22mag.

Last edited by basketcasejeep; 11-09-2006 at 09:23 AM.
basketcasejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 10206
.22lr revolver
.38/.357 revolver
.38/.357 lever action
12ga pump
90WAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 16024
I used to be a firearms enthusiast, even did a little shooting that got me ranked on a national level... a little hunting that put some meat on the family table... a little protective work that kept our stuff in our yard, and the neighbor's dog out (back, 6 feet under...).

Now, I've seen the error of my ways, and I've melted down ALL my firearms to feed starving pygmies in India. I'm a good citizen and I know that I'm being taken care of by the good people that run our good country.

Their personal bodyguards will take care of everything should any untimely event come to pass that might require the use of those nasty old baby/cop/student/Amish/goat/Communist killing guns.

I'm SO thankful that I've now learned the error of my previous ways...

I'm a gun addict, and my name is Guy..."

"HI GUY!"

Old 11-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 34936
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfredrick
I used to be a firearms enthusiast, even did a little shooting that got me ranked on a national level... a little hunting that put some meat on the family table... a little protective work that kept our stuff in our yard, and the neighbor's dog out (back, 6 feet under...).

Now, I've seen the error of my ways, and I've melted down ALL my firearms to feed starving pygmies in India. I'm a good citizen and I know that I'm being taken care of by the good people that run our good country.

Their personal bodyguards will take care of everything should any untimely event come to pass that might require the use of those nasty old baby/cop/student/Amish/goat/Communist killing guns.

I'm SO thankful that I've now learned the error of my previous ways...

I'm a gun addict, and my name is Guy..."

"HI GUY!"

I'm in a similar boat. I turned all my guns in at a 'gun buy back'. I feel so free, safe, and enlightened now. May Pelosi reign forever!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
A pistol is for close quarters self defense. Why do you need two?
They are great for CC. If you are considering anarchy I'm ditching the pistol and losing that weight for mobility or extra ammo capacity.

The purpose of a pistol is to shoot your way to safety. Meaning you are going to engage anything that is between you and where you are headed over a very short distance.
It can also be used to engage someone and take their rifle.
You are not going to "hold any ground" with a pistol.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 09:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18252
Send a message via ICQ to Haz-matt Send a message via AIM to Haz-matt Send a message via Yahoo to Haz-matt
I'm running under the assumption that you want to have enough for 2 people. I'm adding a second rifle to the mix because I think it makes sence.

Handgun1: Glock 17, 18 rounds total and reliable/easy to use
Handgun2: Revolver, what ever suits your taste but probably in .357 or .44
Shotgun: Remmington 870 express, simple reliable
Rifle1: Ar-15 or FAL, I wouldn't go with an eastern bloc weapon just for the looks (see my sig)
Rifle2: .22 mag or .17 hm2, probably a bolt gun. These are your best bet for staying fed as a good shot will drop just about anything.

Oh, and guns. The guns have an intrinsic desire to kill children. Especially the AK. Just LOOK at it.
Haz-matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.