Kydex holster for a Glock 36 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Josh83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5899
Location: Frankfort, KY
Posts: 1,274
Send a message via AIM to Josh83
Kydex holster for a Glock 36

I have a glock 36 I am wanting to start using for concealed carry. I am looking for a holster for it that I can use in a couple of different configurations. First of all I want Kydex. Next I want interchangable belt loops. I want one that makes the gun IWB and tuckable, and would prefer one I can cant to my preference. I also want a loop on it I can use for OWB carry for the few times I would prefer that. What do you guys use and reccomend?
__________________
Josh


"Tim McGraw is my cousin. Everyone says we look alike, only i am the uglier more out of shape version of him with creepy eyes. He never calls. He beat me up once at a family reunion when i was 8. Then he married Faith. Goddam prick."
Josh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
I build stuff
 
aloharover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14561
Location: Just outside the evac zone
Posts: 16,624
Kydex, IWB, Tuckable? Have not seen one of those yet.
Only tuckable, IWBs I have seen are leather.
__________________

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5233
Location: Ole Virginny
Posts: 237
Kydex = rigid
Kydex = hard to conceal.
Kydex = outside waistband

Leather = forms to curve of body
Leather = many inside waistband options

I don't know that you're going to find ONE holster that fills all of your requirements. Most folks I know have gone through many different styles before finding one that works in MOST situations. One will not work in all situations.

All of my leather is Galco.
All of my non-leather is Eagle Industries and is non-concealable.
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Josh83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5899
Location: Frankfort, KY
Posts: 1,274
Send a message via AIM to Josh83
Kydex seems like it would be easier to conceal than leather to me. Simply because it is paper thin and hugs the gun very tightly. Granted, I have never used an IWB holster, so I could be completely wrong. It just seems like Kydex would be the closest thing to just sticking the gun in your waistband.
__________________
Josh


"Tim McGraw is my cousin. Everyone says we look alike, only i am the uglier more out of shape version of him with creepy eyes. He never calls. He beat me up once at a family reunion when i was 8. Then he married Faith. Goddam prick."
Josh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5233
Location: Ole Virginny
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh83 View Post
It just seems like Kydex would be the closest thing to just sticking the gun in your waistband.
This is the closest thing to just sticking the gun in your waistband.

http://www.clipdraw.com/glock.html

I have used one for many years on 27's and 22's. Sold a ton of them and given them to buddies to use on their backup pieces.

Careful around the triggerguard when slipping into your waistband. Otherwise foolproof.
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Cue-Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Member # 17311
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
This is the closest thing to just sticking the gun in your waistband.

http://www.clipdraw.com/glock.html

I have used one for many years on 27's and 22's. Sold a ton of them and given them to buddies to use on their backup pieces.

Careful around the triggerguard when slipping into your waistband. Otherwise foolproof.
Great for a gun that you can put the safety on and do that. However, those are the worst ideas when it comes to glocks. The glocks don't have a stiff enough trigger to prevent a ND when putting it in and out of your pants. either get a holster for the damn thing, or buy a gun you can safely carry in a pocket.

And don't give me that, "I've been doing it for years" shit. It's still an accident wating to happen. Just because I've never been robbed at gun point, doesn't mean I never will, so I still carry. Same principle.
__________________
Nex Pro Evinco "Death Before Defeat"

Last edited by Cue-Ball; 01-27-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. Personality
 
Azzy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11869
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 4,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
Great for a gun that you can put the safety on and do that. However, those are the worst ideas when it comes to glocks. The glocks don't have a stiff enough trigger to prevent a ND when putting it in and out of your pants. either get a holster for the damn thing, or buy a gun you can safely carry in a pocket.

And don't give me that, "I've been doing it for years" shit. It's still an accident wating to happen. Just because I've never been robbed at gun point, doesn't mean I never will, so I still carry. Same principle.
X2.. A holster that covers the trigger and guard is necessary. One little slip-up and you're missing a testicle or worse.
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5233
Location: Ole Virginny
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
Great for a gun that you can put the safety on and do that. However, those are the worst ideas when it comes to glocks. The glocks don't have a stiff enough trigger to prevent a ND when putting it in and out of your pants. either get a holster for the damn thing, or buy a gun you can safely carry in a pocket.

And don't give me that, "I've been doing it for years" shit. It's still an accident wating to happen. Just because I've never been robbed at gun point, doesn't mean I never will, so I still carry. Same principle.
I've been doing it for years shit.

Awareness is more important than any number of safetys you could ever put on a gun.

By following your reasoning, I guess I should look for a gun that has a stiff enough trigger to prevent discharge when holstering if something were to get hung in the trigger guard? OR By carrying a gun in my pocket without a holster I would be safer than in the waistband? Please explain.
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5233
Location: Ole Virginny
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy2000 View Post
X2.. A holster that covers the trigger and guard is necessary. One little slip-up and you're missing a testicle or worse.
One little slip up is unacceptable.

For example:

"The thumb break on my holster somehow got into the trigger guard while I was holstering my weapon and it just went off."

Don't rely on features to protect you from yourself.
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
I build stuff
 
aloharover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14561
Location: Just outside the evac zone
Posts: 16,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh83 View Post
Kydex seems like it would be easier to conceal than leather to me. Simply because it is paper thin and hugs the gun very tightly. Granted, I have never used an IWB holster, so I could be completely wrong. It just seems like Kydex would be the closest thing to just sticking the gun in your waistband.
Look for a Galco IWB. Awsome holster for my Commander.
__________________

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mr. Personality
 
Azzy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11869
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 4,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
One little slip up is unacceptable.

For example:

"The thumb break on my holster somehow got into the trigger guard while I was holstering my weapon and it just went off."

Don't rely on features to protect you from yourself.
One little slip-up will happen whether you want it to or not. Taking simple precautions to keep your one little slip-up from becoming one big slip-up , is smart... especially when it does not hamper your ability draw/use the weapon.
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
Weasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5639
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 6,580
Blog Entries: 1
who makes decent beind the back holster for inside the belt, yeah I know it's not the best place to carry but it's about the only place I can really conceal my 229, I'm not that big. So the few times I like to CCW I would like something that would fit behind my back. I got a leather soemthing from cabela's but it's for a side wear and the grip is in the wrong direction if I use it in the back. Wish people weren't so jump or I would jsut wear my tactical Eagle holster. I love that thing.
__________________

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member # 73342
Location: Picayune, MS
Posts: 351
I cant CC anything without people seeing, Im pretty small and you can see it sticking out. I need a small gun with a small holster. I have a kel-tec 380 that i slip in my inside jacket pocket, thats the only thing i can do.

I need a good holster for my firestorm 380 (bersa), its a littleb igger but the grip is much better.

Im only about 150, 5' 7" so everything shows unless im wearing a jacket.

edit: id love to carry a springfield xd 45 or something but it just would stick out and show way to much on me. I carried my 40 sigma for awhile, just a little to big and bulky

Last edited by t0talkos; 01-27-2007 at 11:06 PM.
t0talkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
NastyNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member # 13276
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 624
Send a message via AIM to NastyNate
Here ya go. I've had great luck with this holsters. I have several.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod..._decision.html
__________________
Those who give up a little freedom for a little security, WILL SOON LOSE BOTH AND DESERVE NEITHER!
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
Weasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5639
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 6,580
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0talkos View Post
I cant CC anything without people seeing, Im pretty small and you can see it sticking out. I need a small gun with a small holster. I have a kel-tec 380 that i slip in my inside jacket pocket, thats the only thing i can do.

I need a good holster for my firestorm 380 (bersa), its a littleb igger but the grip is much better.

Im only about 150, 5' 7" so everything shows unless im wearing a jacket.

edit: id love to carry a springfield xd 45 or something but it just would stick out and show way to much on me. I carried my 40 sigma for awhile, just a little to big and bulky
Find a back carry holster. I'm 5'2" 110lbs and that works well for me
__________________

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
FatA$$ Toyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Member # 8932
Location: Eva, AL
Posts: 1,801
These answers are not really all that accurate as far as people saying they are hard, uncomfortable, not IWB, Only outside waistband and whatever else. True that leather is more comfortable but if you get a leather/kydex mix, they are fantastic holsters.

There are a ton of kydex off duty, IWB holsters on the market that will conceal and are comfortable as hell.

They are more concealable than leather by far cause they are skinnier and the new ones are not ROCK hard.

Go to www.glocktalk.com Look up the carry issues forum and also some of the holster forums. Join up, do a search on IWB's and Kydex and you will find dozens of holsters that will be excellent.

I will pull up some threads later and post them up to look into. The guys on glocktalk are die hard CCW folks and trust me, if they dont work, they will tell you.
__________________
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/fatasstoyota[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/fatazzrunner[/url]

85 Runner, built O.K. I guess, waiting for 1 tons!!!

Last edited by FatA$$ Toyota; 01-29-2007 at 10:14 AM.
FatA$$ Toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
FatA$$ Toyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Member # 8932
Location: Eva, AL
Posts: 1,801
This one is one of my favorites.....Its a combo of leather and kydex. These get EXCELLENT reviews. I have used one of these and I LOVE it. It is a bit more comfortable with the leather and is still thin since it is kydex on the other side.
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/index.html

These are bad ass but EXPENSIVE and the wait is rediculous. Another mix of leather and kydex.
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/iwbholsters1.html


Good threads for ideas on holsters.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=21
http://rigrate.com/
http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-riglinks.htm



Holster makers, I wont post them if they dont get good reviews....

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/Default.htm
http://www.sidearmor.com/
http://www.findesigns.net/testimonials.html
http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php

These are awsome holsters too, a bit of a wait if I remember right, but very comfortable and adjustable. THE C-TAC IS THE BEST IMO. It is adjustable beyond almost any other holster I have seen on the market (for IWB)
http://www.comp-tac.com/
__________________
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/fatasstoyota[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/fatazzrunner[/url]

85 Runner, built O.K. I guess, waiting for 1 tons!!!

Last edited by FatA$$ Toyota; 01-29-2007 at 10:16 AM.
FatA$$ Toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
FatA$$ Toyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Member # 8932
Location: Eva, AL
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
who makes decent beind the back holster for inside the belt, yeah I know it's not the best place to carry but it's about the only place I can really conceal my 229, I'm not that big. So the few times I like to CCW I would like something that would fit behind my back. I got a leather soemthing from cabela's but it's for a side wear and the grip is in the wrong direction if I use it in the back. Wish people weren't so jump or I would jsut wear my tactical Eagle holster. I love that thing.
Check out the sites I posted above, some of these guys make the SOB type holsters and they are very comfortable and still hide very well.
__________________
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/fatasstoyota[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/fatazzrunner[/url]

85 Runner, built O.K. I guess, waiting for 1 tons!!!
FatA$$ Toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
I build stuff
 
aloharover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14561
Location: Just outside the evac zone
Posts: 16,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
who makes decent beind the back holster for inside the belt, yeah I know it's not the best place to carry but it's about the only place I can really conceal my 229, I'm not that big. So the few times I like to CCW I would like something that would fit behind my back. I got a leather soemthing from cabela's but it's for a side wear and the grip is in the wrong direction if I use it in the back. Wish people weren't so jump or I would jsut wear my tactical Eagle holster. I love that thing.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...ttom_line.html
__________________

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
I build stuff
 
aloharover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14561
Location: Just outside the evac zone
Posts: 16,624
Has anyone ever used one of the concealed carry t-shirts?
http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/311/6920/?return=%3f

Just thinking this might be a better option then an IWB for work, shirt and tie, no jacket.
__________________

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Cue-Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Member # 17311
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
I've been doing it for years shit.

Awareness is more important than any number of safetys you could ever put on a gun.
This I agree with 110%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
By following your reasoning, I guess I should look for a gun that has a stiff enough trigger to prevent discharge when holstering if something were to get hung in the trigger guard? OR By carrying a gun in my pocket without a holster I would be safer than in the waistband? Please explain.
I mis-spoke. I mean that if not having a holster in your belt is that much of an issue, then get something you can pocket carry in a pocket holster.

I still stand by my statement that a clipdraw is a ND waiting to happen. While I agree with your above statement, human nature says differently. We get comfortable with something and we get used to it. A clipdraw on a glock is increasing your chances of having a ND and hurting yourself or someone else.
__________________
Nex Pro Evinco "Death Before Defeat"
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
FatA$$ Toyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Member # 8932
Location: Eva, AL
Posts: 1,801
Read this article on the clip draw. It is actually a well thought out and well written article.

I agree that a clip draw may not be the SAFEST way to carry but it is perfectly safe if you the gun owner have a clue what your doing. Like the writer says, unless you have porcupine quills sticking out of your skin, you are not gonna snag the trigger.

You would have to get what ever the obstruction is, inside the trigger gaurd and then trip the safety as well as pull the trigger. Now, would I carry it at 12'O cock??? nope. But I would carry it at 3,4 or 5 o'clock, hell I would also carry small of back with it.

Before jumping the subject and getting all pissy about things, read the entire article and all the responses. There are some good arguments not to carry it but I still think it is a safe way to carry if you are responsible.

Just my .02

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....ight=clip+draw
__________________
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/fatasstoyota[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/fatazzrunner[/url]

85 Runner, built O.K. I guess, waiting for 1 tons!!!
FatA$$ Toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5233
Location: Ole Virginny
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
I still stand by my statement that a clipdraw is a ND waiting to happen. While I agree with your above statement, human nature says differently. We get comfortable with something and we get used to it. A clipdraw on a glock is increasing your chances of having a ND and hurting yourself or someone else.
No doubt there are people I have met that I would not trust with even a water gun. I'm with you 100% on human nature. However, everyone is different, has had different levels of training, and holds different levels of situational awareness. Not saying I am above human nature, but I still have the utmost fear of an AD after many, many years in the shooting business.
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Josh83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5899
Location: Frankfort, KY
Posts: 1,274
Send a message via AIM to Josh83
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatA$$ Toyota View Post
This one is one of my favorites.....Its a combo of leather and kydex. These get EXCELLENT reviews. I have used one of these and I LOVE it. It is a bit more comfortable with the leather and is still thin since it is kydex on the other side.
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/index.html

These are bad ass but EXPENSIVE and the wait is rediculous. Another mix of leather and kydex.
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/iwbholsters1.html


Good threads for ideas on holsters.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=21
http://rigrate.com/
http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-riglinks.htm



Holster makers, I wont post them if they dont get good reviews....

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/Default.htm
http://www.sidearmor.com/
http://www.findesigns.net/testimonials.html
http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php

These are awsome holsters too, a bit of a wait if I remember right, but very comfortable and adjustable. THE C-TAC IS THE BEST IMO. It is adjustable beyond almost any other holster I have seen on the market (for IWB)
http://www.comp-tac.com/
Thank you very much! That gives me LOTS of good ideas. I'm really liking the hybrid holsters.
__________________
Josh


"Tim McGraw is my cousin. Everyone says we look alike, only i am the uglier more out of shape version of him with creepy eyes. He never calls. He beat me up once at a family reunion when i was 8. Then he married Faith. Goddam prick."
Josh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
FatA$$ Toyota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Member # 8932
Location: Eva, AL
Posts: 1,801
no trouble
__________________
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/fatasstoyota[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/fatazzrunner[/url]

85 Runner, built O.K. I guess, waiting for 1 tons!!!
FatA$$ Toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.