.45 ccw - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Keith Strong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 477
Location: The Peeplz Republik
Posts: 12,254
Send a message via Yahoo to Keith Strong
.45 ccw

OK. What would you buy. Here are the parameters

1. .45 autoloader
2. DA/SA. MUST be both. No 1911 SA.
3. Small enough for CCW
__________________
[CENTER][SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.strong-arms.com"]Strong Arms "Survival Slings" For Sale PM me for a PBB only price[/URL]
[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Keith Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Member # 64421
Location: Dodging tornados
Posts: 8,535
Grock thirtay
TheRedHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13707
Location: California
Posts: 2,074
XD sub compact

If you are looking for something that starts da, then sa..
sig p220R or DAK

Last edited by Toyoda; 06-22-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Toyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 70082
Location: Magalia CA.
Posts: 284
Colt double eagle
Haulin Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
4x401cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member # 37244
Location: Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedHorseman View Post
Grock thirtay
I like my G21 and G30 also. But none conceal as well as my G36. In fact my G36 weighs less and conceals as well as the stainless Detonics Combat Master I used to own.
4x401cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jason R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11598
Location: USA
Posts: 6,062
USP Compact. 45.



__________________
This space for rent.
Jason R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Axes of E-ville
 
Aces'n'8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Member # 48097
Location: West TN
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
USP Compact. 45.
and for a limited time, if you act now, your HK dealer with throw in, at no cost, a matching man bag and thong...quantities are limited...

Aces'n'8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Member # 3310
Location: WA
Posts: 979
XD45 Compact
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Member # 51692
Location: Flat Top MTN,TN
Posts: 1,780
Send a message via ICQ to rocknbronco Send a message via Yahoo to rocknbronco
I second the Glock 21.
__________________
Space for rent sold it all....
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Member # 64421
Location: Dodging tornados
Posts: 8,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
I second the Glock 21.
Nobody said anything about a 21, that thing is HUGE.
TheRedHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hef
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11907
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 2,052
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to Hef
Taurus PT145 Mil Pro or PT745C Mil Pro. Mine is DAO and 3-dot sights, but Taurus has since switched to DA/SA and Heinie sights. I love mine. I haven't had a malfunction yet, and the only "mods" I've done are black Duracoat on the stainless slide and night sight paint on the factory sights. It's perfect for CCW in my opinion.
__________________
μολὼν λαβέ
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mr. Personality
 
Azzy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11869
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401cj View Post
I like my G21.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
I second the Glock 21.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedHorseman View Post
Nobody said anything about a 21, that thing is HUGE.


But I agree, it is not a good candidate for CCW.
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44006
Posts: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Taurus PT145 Mil Pro or PT745C Mil Pro. Mine is DAO and 3-dot sights, but Taurus has since switched to DA/SA and Heinie sights. I love mine. I haven't had a malfunction yet, and the only "mods" I've done are black Duracoat on the stainless slide and night sight paint on the factory sights. It's perfect for CCW in my opinion.
x2, this is the one i'd buy...


pt145 around san diego is about 370.00...

it also has the double tap feature that a lot of guns are now coming out with. (allows the user to pull the trigger a second time on a failure-to-fire round, before having to clear the round.)
kodiak1232003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
ZJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24099
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,359
Send a message via AIM to ZJim
I have a Taurus Millenium Pro PT140.. basically the same gun just in .40 cal. I second that it's a great CCW.. very easy to conceal.
ZJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Keith Strong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 477
Location: The Peeplz Republik
Posts: 12,254
Send a message via Yahoo to Keith Strong
So far I am leanign towards the Sig P220r Carry. I love my 239. I am interested in the Taurus PT145 as well though. Comes with 10 round mag and is cheaper Hef, Tell me more about it. Any quirks or anything you have noticed?

I have an XD9 and while I like it a lot, not one of my favorites. I had planned on using my Kimber pro carry as the main carry, but I think I would rather have a DA to SA so I can keep it chambers without the hammer cocked.
__________________
[CENTER][SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.strong-arms.com"]Strong Arms "Survival Slings" For Sale PM me for a PBB only price[/URL]
[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Last edited by Keith Strong; 06-23-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Keith Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jason R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11598
Location: USA
Posts: 6,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Strong View Post
So far I am leanign towards the Sig P220r Carry. I love my 239. I am interested in the Taurus PT145 as well though. Comes with 10 round mag and is cheaper Hef, Tell me more about it. Any quirks or anything you have noticed?

I have an XD9 and while I like it a lot, not one of my favorites. I had planned on using my Kimber pro carry as the main carry, but I think I would rather have a DA to SA so I can keep it chambers without the hammer cocked.
The Sig p220 is a big bitch for carry!
__________________
This space for rent.
Jason R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hef
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11907
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 2,052
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to Hef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Strong View Post
So far I am leanign towards the Sig P220r Carry. I love my 239. I am interested in the Taurus PT145 as well though. Comes with 10 round mag and is cheaper Hef, Tell me more about it. Any quirks or anything you have noticed?
The trigger is not nearly as sweet as a 1911. The PT745 (and likely the PT145) feels like a DAO trigger. The short barrel lends itself to concealment, but in .45 ACP, and being light, it's a bit harder to get nice groups than with a heavier, longer barrel gun (1911).

The grip extension on the magazine isn't quite long enough for my big hands. I can still grip it OK, but my pinky finger sometimes won't get around the grip 100%. Mags aren't cheap, but at least the pistol comes with 2 from the factory.

My PT745C has no rail, but the PT145 does, if you want to mount a light.

Fobus makes a paddle holster that will fit the PT145 perfectly.
__________________
μολὼν λαβέ
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44006
Posts: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
The trigger is not nearly as sweet as a 1911. The PT745 (and likely the PT145) feels like a DAO trigger. The short barrel lends itself to concealment, but in .45 ACP, and being light, it's a bit harder to get nice groups than with a heavier, longer barrel gun (1911).

The grip extension on the magazine isn't quite long enough for my big hands. I can still grip it OK, but my pinky finger sometimes won't get around the grip 100%. Mags aren't cheap, but at least the pistol comes with 2 from the factory.

My PT745C has no rail, but the PT145 does, if you want to mount a light.

Fobus makes a paddle holster that will fit the PT145 perfectly.

great discription....i also just plain like the looks of it. fit very well in an inside the waistband holster for me. (6'0' 270)
kodiak1232003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jason R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11598
Location: USA
Posts: 6,062
Why not try a 4-4.25" lengh 1911?
__________________
This space for rent.
Jason R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11975
Location: Bemidji
Posts: 2,243
Send a message via AIM to MikeW Send a message via MSN to MikeW Send a message via Yahoo to MikeW
Para .45 LDA
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Keith Strong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 477
Location: The Peeplz Republik
Posts: 12,254
Send a message via Yahoo to Keith Strong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
Why not try a 4-4.25" lengh 1911?
DA/SA
__________________
[CENTER][SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.strong-arms.com"]Strong Arms "Survival Slings" For Sale PM me for a PBB only price[/URL]
[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Keith Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Cue-Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Member # 17311
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 2,260
Ruger P345.
__________________
Nex Pro Evinco "Death Before Defeat"
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TNToy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5776
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 11,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak1232003 View Post
it also has the double tap feature that a lot of guns are now coming out with. (allows the user to pull the trigger a second time on a failure-to-fire round, before having to clear the round.)
This is one of the most over - rated features on any handgun evar. I could see it having a place among people who don't actually train with their gun, but otherwise, there's no need for it.

If your weak hand isn't halfway through racking the slide to eject that round before you even stop to think, you need to train more with your gun.

Now, if you're the type of person that shoots a gun standing still at an indoor range once a month (like most CCW permit holders), then it might have a place. Because tap-rack-bang isn't going to be automatic in a life-or-death situation.
__________________
[size=1]ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician
Toyota Certified Expert Technician
Volvo Certified Expert Technician
Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]

Last edited by TNToy; 06-25-2007 at 05:49 AM.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TNToy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5776
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 11,736
As far as which guns I'd recommend, well, that depends on what you're after. There's really 2 groups here.

There are slightly larger, more expensive guns that are very accurate: HK USP 45C, Glock 30, Sig P245, or a short 1911.

Then there are all the nearly-pocket sized guns with DAO trigger and hefty recoil that will be much more difficult to land hits with if the SHTF. The Taurus and other small guns like the Kahr P45 are good examples of this kind of pistol.
__________________
[size=1]ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician
Toyota Certified Expert Technician
Volvo Certified Expert Technician
Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]

Last edited by TNToy; 06-25-2007 at 05:53 AM.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
4x401cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member # 37244
Location: Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNToy View Post
This is one of the most over - rated features on any handgun evar. I could see it having a place among people who don't actually train with their gun, but otherwise, there's no need for it.

If your weak hand isn't halfway through racking the slide to eject that round before you even stop to think, you need to train more with your gun.

Now, if you're the type of person that shoots a gun standing still at an indoor range once a month (like most CCW permit holders), then it might have a place. Because tap-rack-bang isn't going to be automatic in a life-or-death situation.
X2000
It amazes me sometimes what some people think of a useful features. And your 100% right, a large number of ccw holders haven`t got a clue as to what it takes to clear a malfunction. When I reload my practice ammunition I load 3-10 per 150 or so WITHOUT powder and leave in the spent primer and throw them in with the rest. It`s the most practical way I`ve found for realistic malfunction drills.
4x401cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.