Remington 1100 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 50012
Remington 1100

I found a Remington 1100 at a local gun store today and I think im in love. Its setup to be a tactical gun 18" or 20" barrel w/ an extension (probably 2 rounder) . the only thing is it has engraving on the receiver, so I think its a bubba'd model of the clay/sporting 1100.

This is my question, I know the 870 and the 11-87 are great shotguns. I need a defense gun and something that will later be used maybe for some 3-gun stuff. Im looking to get into it. Would the 1100 be a wise choice. The price seems right (sub $300)

the second question is, is there anything to fill in engraving? Im going to duracote the gun later this summer if I get it so its got a smooth matching finish, and Im not a fan of engraving. Short of replacing the receiver which seems kinda costly what are my options if any.

thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by imwiththebann'd; 06-29-2007 at 12:16 AM.
imwiththebann'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 19263
I used to duck hunt with an 1100, and it worked well. I can, however, pump a shotgun faster than an 1100 can cycle. It has like 5lb of reciporicating mass (I'm exaggerating for the nitpickers).
proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5776
Quote:
Originally Posted by imwiththebann'd View Post
The second question is, is there anything to fill in engraving? Im going to duracote the gun later this summer if I get it so its got a smooth matching finish...
1. Fill with JB Weld
2. Sand smooth
3. Refinish

I know a guy who did that to a newer Ruger 22/45 mark II... The ones with the warning ESSAY on the barrel:

"This gun is capable of firing with the magazine removed, blah, blah, blah..."

Worked great for him. Just degrease the hell out of it before you start.
Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 50012
thanks guys. Im getting mixed reviews after some research into the 1100. I think I might just stick with the 870. The semi-auto just caught my eye and looked like a fun new toy. But there are questions of its functioning properly and thats not something I want in my shotgun.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12780
Send a message via Yahoo to SCOTTS_4X
you are getting mixed reveiws because the shotgun has been around just short of FOREVER. keep looking at 870 stuff, you will see peopel talking trash about them aswell. the fact is, it's one of the better semi-autos on the market and has been for some time. when put together and taken care of properly an 1100 is a very reliabe gun.

-Scott
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29385
You're getting mixed reviews because 1100's are kind of finicky. I own several of them and there's a big difference between shooting one in a match or in defense, or just hunting. When I hunted with one, I always kept a spare O-ring in my shirt pocket. If it jammed, big deal, you missed a bird. In a three gun match, you can smoke everyone in the pistol and rifle stages, but if you jam in a shotgun stage, you're a goat. In defense if it jams, you die. I tried to run an 1100 in USPSA three gun for quite a few years and could never get it to be 100% reliable. I'd done everything imaginable to it and had several gunsmiths work on it. An 1100 is a great hunting shotgun, but if you want a shotgun that is 100% reliable for three gun or defense, buy a Benelli!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5333
Send a message via Yahoo to 5spd
I have 2 1100s in 12 & 20 gauge. I have hunted & shot thousands of rounds through both of them and niether one have failed me in any way, ever. Not one jamb, hang-up or otherwise. I bought these overseas when I was stationed there in the 70s. I still use them to this day.
5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5776
Personally I prefer auto's.

1. Softens the recoil. If your significant other ever needs to use it, this helps.

2. This was said by either Tom Givens or Mas Ayoob... "I trust the shotgun to cycle the action automaticaly in a life-or-death situation far more than I trust myself".

1 and 2 tie together. When I pick up a home-defense shotty, my wife will shoot it until she's familiar with it. But she's not going to operate it until BANG-rack becomes instinctive. Forgetting to pump the action before pulling the trigger, or just looking for your hit BEFORE you chamber your next round (and wasting 2-3 seconds while someone is advancing) is a difficult thing for many people to master.
Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]

Last edited by TNToy; 07-01-2007 at 12:12 PM.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 29385
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd View Post
I have 2 1100s in 12 & 20 gauge. I have hunted & shot thousands of rounds through both of them and niether one have failed me in any way, ever. Not one jamb, hang-up or otherwise. I bought these overseas when I was stationed there in the 70s. I still use them to this day.
Damn near anyone I shot three gun with could jam an 1100. If you can pull the trigger faster than the gun will cycle, Which most folks(little old ladies included) are capable of, you can jam the gun. The gas O-ring isn't even designed to last that many rounds. The gas from the burnt powder contains alot of carbon which is harder than rubber and consequently abrasive to the O-ring. If you have one with "thousands" of rounds through it without any problems ever, You should call Remington and they will likely use you in a comercial.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Go to lauer weaponry. They make a filler to use prior to duracoating. I believe its just a thicker version of the stuff.

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 46170
I guess I could be a commercial too. I never used it competitvely though. I was pretty rough on it when I was youger and never a moments trouble.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Pick it up.I've had this turd for shit,thinking back,I killed my 1st pheasant with it back when i was 12,I'm 30,and dad had it before that.Honestly I've never cleaned it while I've had it!Have oiled it here and there,but thats about it.Shot tens of thousands of rounds through it,killed hundreds of pheasants,ducks,dove,chuckar,shot numerous shotgun and 3 gun matches,clays off the porch at family functions and drasticly lowering the jack rabbit population in the Owyhees year round since 8th grade.Never jams,eats any shell I stuff in it,shot or slug.Had the barrel chopped to 18 1/4",8 shot ext,fiber optic post,got the stock off a local DEA agent that shot USPSA,IPSC,some tactical shotgun fun shoots and 3 gun matches with me and my dad,he had the shoulder stock cut down to fit when they wore body armor,tact. vest etc.Go pick that joker up if you already havent
Attached Images

Last edited by EricT; 07-07-2007 at 08:33 PM.
EricT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 50012
looks sweet. I found a Springfield Gi for $379 and the gun store and tossed my cash into that instead. But if its there when I get some money again I'll look into it