teaching someone to shoot - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 19022
Send a message via AIM to p575
teaching someone to shoot

i recently had a lady friend ask me to teach her how to shoot, she has to be home by herself at night, and finally decided she'd like to be able to defend herself. i can hold my own on the range, but i've never "taught" anyone to shoot. any tips or ideas? i figured i'd start her with a .22 rifle just to get a feel for pulling the trigger and such, then step up to a light load in a 12 gauge...

official pit chef for Will Carter #52x.

yeah, i cook...
p575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6417
Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselmh
I started my wife out with a BB gun. If she has never shot, the .22 might be loud enough to startle her, and you won't have to keep taking off hearing protection to talk to her while you're teaching. Basically, start off like you're teaching a kid. Make sure she knows and follows all the basic rules first. Treat every gun as if it were loaded, always point it down range, or at the ground, never point it at anything you don't want dead, etc. Then go from there as she gets better. Cathy is still shooting her BB gun, and actually killed a copperhead with it last week! When she's ready, we'll move up to the .22, then to my 9mm pistol.
Dieselmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 233
have her sign up for a gun safety class
Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 48233
I taught my ex starting with a 9mm and SKS. She loved it jump right on with a 12 gauge. Took her shooting wobble house and skeet and she used a 12 no problem. Scored better than any newbie I've ever seen. I basically showed basics in handling. Fired a test shot for them. Emphasized no matter how cool the bang is, there is no reason to whip around with the gun to tell me because I already know how cool it is

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Doc Holiday13; 10-15-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
women are easier to tech than men, less BS to fix.

teach clear and correct sight picture, teach correct breathing, teach correct trigger pull and start with a 22lr from prone or sitting bench and she will note the lack of recoil and concentrate more on her shooting.
Nit pick the details from there and move to offhand with the same weapon.

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74853
A recommandation I have is only load one round in the gun, that way in event of a turn around, drop, rapid fire, only one round can be spent. Work your way up from there, it gives you piece of mind. That way when she snaps around you can explain why you dont do that instead of screaming and causing more confusion.
CRFRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 19263
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFRIDER View Post
A recommandation I have is only load one round in the gun, that way in event of a turn around, drop, rapid fire, only one round can be spent. Work your way up from there, it gives you piece of mind. That way when she snaps around you can explain why you dont do that instead of screaming and causing more confusion.
This is what I do as well. This way they have the peace of mind in knowing that no matter what happens, the gun will only go off once. I also field strip it in thier presence to demonstrate that it is just an assembly of pieces, and not an evil black box from which fire shoots.
proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12780
Send a message via Yahoo to SCOTTS_4X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
have her sign up for a WOMEN'S gun safety class
Fixed.

they seem to be more comfortable that way.

oh, and don't ferget every gun IS always loaded until you have inspected it YOURSELF and locked the chamber open. if it is in battery and you lay it on the table and turn around, it laoded itself, CHECK IT AGAIN.
-Scott

Last edited by SCOTTS_4X; 10-15-2007 at 07:03 PM.
SCOTTS_4X is offline   Reply With Quote