Budget Hunting Rifle Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Budget Hunting Rifle Build

I have not rifle hunted much in past 20 years, mostly bow hunting elk and deer in Oregon. Since I recently moved to Montana I thought I would put together a decent rifle since you can do both here .

I got a Smith and Wesson model 1500 30-06(Howa model 1500) for HS graduation about 20 years ago. Being a broke kid I put a cheap Tasco 3x9 scope on it and used it that way ever since since I mostly bowhunted. I didn't even add a recoil pad, just a military style leather sling. The action is nice and I have probably had less than 200 rounds through it.

I managed to find a decent used Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 for $150. I scored a factory second Butler Creek camo stock with recoil pad(factory second because of a small 1/4" silk screen flaw on the camo) for $62 delivered from ebay. The stock says Howa, so I think it's a factory OEM. The stock floats the barrel so I may need to bed the action.

I still need to adjust the trigger pull down from the factory 7 LBS. I need to touch up the bluing in a couple of spots, but it's not too bad. So far I've put $212 into it, should be a decent gun when I'm through.

Norm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Pretty cool.
I didn't even know that S&W used to make rifles. I thought it was a "new" venture for them.

Want to know how I lost 35lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
Pretty cool.
I didn't even know that S&W used to make rifles. I thought it was a "new" venture for them.
S&W rifles were Howa 1500's with a S&W stamp on them
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18152
I've seen old S&W shotguns and rifles. The shotguns felt about like a mossberg but with slightly better materials. The rifles looked like re-badged ones like Sears and Montgomery Ward used to put out. I think they put out a pump or lever .357 rifle too..not sure.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
S&W first brought the rifle to market.
They then sold the rights to Mossberg (still called the 1500).
Now they are sold as Howa's.

I got a Mossberg 1500 in 1985/86 in 243 Win. (just the barrelled action).
I got a Bell Carleson carbon fiber stock that was supposed to be a drop in.
About 1 week with a dremel tool and chalk we had it fitted.
The stock interferred with the trigger and made it very stiff.
Once is was properly fitted the trigger was OK.

This gun was a tack driver. I shot 85 or 100 gr sierra and nosler bullets and produced consistent one hole groups at 100 yards. I hunted with it for years, got bored with 243 so I had a 7mm-08 Douglas barrel put on by a local gunsmith.
I still love the gun and hunt with it even though it is not as accurate as the 243. I am not sure how many deer I have killed with that rifle, but I speculate over 60 with that rifle alone.

I have glass bedded the action, the barrel is floating, and I have a 4x16 Tasco sitting on top. When that gun barks, the brown hits the ground.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
The Howa 1500, S&W 1500, Mossberg 1500, and Weatherby Vangaurd are the same gun with different brands. I got my 1500 in 85 as a closeout when the S&W line was sold to Mossberg. It shot a nice group the first three shots with the factory stock, but tended to pattern out as it heated up. The factory stock was pretty tight around where the barrel sat on the end of the stock, so I think that might be the issue. I'm going to spend some time on the range before I decide if I need to bed the action. The stock fits really nice out of the box. I wasn't real excited about the camo stock, but for $60 bucks I'll let it grow on me .

I'm trying to keep the cost down because I still need to pick up another Taurus Titanium in .44 for my son to carry during bow season and he needs to upgrade his 30-30 for next year.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 18152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
The Howa 1500, S&W 1500, Mossberg 1500, and Weatherby Vangaurd are the same gun with different brands. I got my 1500 in 85 as a closeout when the S&W line was sold to Mossberg. It shot a nice group the first three shots with the factory stock, but tended to pattern out as it heated up. The factory stock was pretty tight around where the barrel sat on the end of the stock, so I think that might be the issue. I'm going to spend some time on the range before I decide if I need to bed the action. The stock fits really nice out of the box. I wasn't real excited about the camo stock, but for $60 bucks I'll let it grow on me .

I'm trying to keep the cost down because I still need to pick up another Taurus Titanium in .44 for my son to carry during bow season and he needs to upgrade his 30-30 for next year.

I'd like to see your reference material for that. The Weatherby Vanguard is made in Japan by Howa but the bolt/action is Weatherby not Howa. A Weatherby and a Howa side by side shows the better quality of the Weatherby.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 19615
Send a message via AIM to afroman006
Along the same lines, I have a custom made Ranger Arms 7mm Rem Mag and the action and bolt on it look very similar to a Weatherby. Does anyone know anything about this brand? I've looked in the blue book and it doesnt have any info.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
I'd like to see your reference material for that. The Weatherby Vanguard is made in Japan by Howa but the bolt/action is Weatherby not Howa. A Weatherby and a Howa side by side shows the better quality of the Weatherby.
They are made in the same factory, use the same stock, trigger, scope mounts, and barrel. But other than that they share nothing in common The Weatherby "may" be built with tighter standards and a nicer stock, but most of the testing results I've seen say they shoot about the same. The Howa/Vangaurd prices also seem pretty close to each other.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Here is a pic of mine.
Yes, I had to clearance the stock for the bolt and also had to file a trigger gaurd screw after I got the action bedded.
The barrel is a #4 contour stainless with a target crown.
Tasco 4x16 scope that does well on the lower powers. It has paralax problems and blurs the edges at higher magnifications.
The trigger is crisp.
The sling is built into the Bell Carleson stock.
Overall weight is a little heavier than what I would like. The stock weighs nothing, all the weight comes from the barrelled action. However, most of the weight is back at the reciever, so it is balanced fairly well.
Attached Images

www.MountaineerOffroad.com

Last edited by SilverZuk; 11-27-2007 at 09:07 AM.
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
BAMF

Member # 42606
I like the how action. Trigger is user adjustable with set screws too
Munchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
Here is a pic of mine.
Yes, I had to clearance the stock for the bolt and also had to file a trigger gaurd screw after I got the action bedded.
The barrel is a #4 contour stainless with a target crown.
Tasco 4x16 scope that does well on the lower powers. It has paralax problems and blurs the edges at higher magnifications.
The trigger is crisp.
The sling is built into the Bell Carleson stock.
Overall weight is a little heavier than what I would like. The stock weighs nothing, all the weight comes from the barrelled action. However, most of the weight is back at the reciever, so it is balanced fairly well.

That looks like more than a "budget build" .

The next step for me is to clean up a little surface rust on the bottom of the barrel(hidden by the factory stock) and touch up the bluing. I'll probably adjust the trigger pull while it's apart. Then I'll take it to the range and see how it works. Five months until spring bear .