new shooter tidbit... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 44006
new shooter tidbit...

so my wife and I were going over the operation of our 870 a bit last night, going through, loading, unloading, racking the slide, dryfiring, etc.

i began to notice she was acting a bit iffy about it, and asked her what was up...

well, we proceeded to talk about the fact that "guns that conceal the cartridges they use tend to make her more nervous about having them in
the house for use as a defense gun than a gun that allows the user(her) to see exactly where they are".

"viewable"
-side by side/over-under/single shot shotgun
-revolvers
-bolt-action rifles

"non-viewable"

-semi-auto handgun where cartridges are in a magazine.
-mag. tube rifles or shottys (my 870, lever-action, etc)
-detachable mag. rifles...

Don't misunderstand. she's not saying that she will ever stand in the way of me getting/using/collecting these types of guns. She has come around to being very pro-gun, from a stance (before meeting me) of very anti-gun.

She, personally, just thinks that she wouldn't ever feel comfy with the second group of guns, because she feels like even with muzzle disipline, she'd always be checking to see if there is a round in the chamber or not...

opinions? anyone have advice on this type of reaction and how to sensitively help her be more comfortable?

p.s. if you flame my wife, Gil will fukking end you, and duracoat your coffin pink........kthanxbye...
kodiak1232003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Axes of E-ville

Member # 48097
Tell her to get over it....

Or get her a revolver.....
Or an appropriate semi-auto rifle that utilizes clear polymer mags

or tell her to get over it.....

or become a smith and install loaded chamber indicators on every firearm you own and will own

How exactly is a bolt action rifle considered "viewable?" I mean, whether it be a BA or SA, cycling the action is going to look pretty similar and let the user view whether or not there's a round about to be chambered/is chambered.

or leave a big note saying, YES DEAR, THIS GUN IS FULLY LOADED AND CHAMBERED.
Aces'n'8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
most modern auto loading pistols have a indicator of some kind showing they are loaded nor is it difficult to gunsmith one into a pistol that does not.

most revolvers the only way to tell if they are loaded is to point them at your own face not something I would recommend.

I ALWAYS check to see if a weapon is loaded, its part of my training. So to me its a moot point.

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 44006
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
most modern auto loading pistols have a indicator of some kind showing they are loaded nor is it difficult to gunsmith one into a pistol that does not.

most revolvers the only way to tell if they are loaded is to point them at your own face not something I would recommend.

I ALWAYS check to see if a weapon is loaded, its part of my training. So to me its a moot point.
ahhh...there's a good lad. thanks for reminding me about loaded chamber indicators...that might be perfect for her...(a visual indicator w/o pulling mag out or pulling slide back)

you can see rounds in a gp100 from the rear...a bit of brass shows at each cartridge. just to argue with you..lol...
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Is she nervous about haveing a loaded weapon or in having to grab a gun to use for SD/HD and not knowing if it's loaded?

If the later, we have a number of safes in the home. Some for the business, some for my own weapons, and then the HD safes. Everything in the HD safes are loaded, round in chamber, safety on. The other safes are all cleared, not even any ammo in them.

Want to know how I lost 35lbs? Try INSANITY®.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak1232003 View Post
you can see rounds in a gp100 from the rear...a bit of brass shows at each cartridge. just to argue with you..lol...
brass does not = loaded they could be empties

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hef

Member # 11907
Send a message via AIM to Hef
There is an aftermarket mag tube available for 870's that is made of clear plastic.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Most people feel more comfortable with revolvers, break actions, lever actions, and bolt guns.

They feel they are more safe because they can see how it operates.
When in fact revolvers are no safer than an auto, possibly less safe because lack of a mechanical safety.
Break actions with hammers are easy to accidentally discharge by having the gun cocked and then slipping while letting the hammer back down. (Most don't have a mechanical safety).
Many accidental discharges have occured with lever guns. People shuffling the action to unload it and touch off the trigger (only recent model have a mechanical safety).
I feel bolt guns are as safe as any other type gun.

It is perception.
If she is more comfortable with one type, so be it.
My wife doesn't like shotguns period. They are too long for her, kick relatively hard, and heavy to hold up.
She can jam with an SKS, because it was made for a 5' 1" asian.
She can hammer away with most any pistol, but doesn't like my Kel Tec because the double action trigger.
She likes shooting bolt guns set up on a bi-pod and sandbag, but doesn't like shooting them off hand. After shooting a 22 auto rifle, she thought having to work the bolt each time was stupid

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 44006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
Most people feel more comfortable with revolvers, break actions, lever actions, and bolt guns.

They feel they are more safe because they can see how it operates.
When in fact revolvers are no safer than an auto, possibly less safe because lack of a mechanical safety.
Break actions with hammers are easy to accidentally discharge by having the gun cocked and then slipping while letting the hammer back down. (Most don't have a mechanical safety).
Many accidental discharges have occured with lever guns. People shuffling the action to unload it and touch off the trigger (only recent model have a mechanical safety).
I feel bolt guns are as safe as any other type gun.

It is perception.
If she is more comfortable with one type, so be it.
My wife doesn't like shotguns period. They are too long for her, kick relatively hard, and heavy to hold up.
She can jam with an SKS, because it was made for a 5' 1" asian.
She can hammer away with most any pistol, but doesn't like my Kel Tec because the double action trigger.
She likes shooting bolt guns set up on a bi-pod and sandbag, but doesn't like shooting them off hand. After shooting a 22 auto rifle, she thought having to work the bolt each time was stupid

great post, i'm gonna print it and let her read it. thanks...
Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 75475
If you always treat every gun as though it is loaded, it shouldnt matter. Unless you want it loaded, then some forethought is required
BarfBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Runner? What runner?

Member # 946
Send a message via AIM to 4runner
every gun in my house is loaded, whether it is in the closet, on the wall display, or int eh home gun safe...it has a full mag in it and a rd in the chamber. All members of my family know this and steer clear, but know they are there in case of emergency. I have access to something in every room in the house. There is even a SW 38 in the bathrooms...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 5776
I like hidden guns with hidden rounds and no mechanical safety...

Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote