new shooter tidbit... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44006
Posts: 2,391
new shooter tidbit...

so my wife and I were going over the operation of our 870 a bit last night, going through, loading, unloading, racking the slide, dryfiring, etc.

i began to notice she was acting a bit iffy about it, and asked her what was up...

well, we proceeded to talk about the fact that "guns that conceal the cartridges they use tend to make her more nervous about having them in
the house for use as a defense gun than a gun that allows the user(her) to see exactly where they are".

"viewable"
-side by side/over-under/single shot shotgun
-revolvers
-bolt-action rifles

"non-viewable"

-semi-auto handgun where cartridges are in a magazine.
-mag. tube rifles or shottys (my 870, lever-action, etc)
-detachable mag. rifles...


Don't misunderstand. she's not saying that she will ever stand in the way of me getting/using/collecting these types of guns. She has come around to being very pro-gun, from a stance (before meeting me) of very anti-gun.

She, personally, just thinks that she wouldn't ever feel comfy with the second group of guns, because she feels like even with muzzle disipline, she'd always be checking to see if there is a round in the chamber or not...

opinions? anyone have advice on this type of reaction and how to sensitively help her be more comfortable?

p.s. if you flame my wife, Gil will fukking end you, and duracoat your coffin pink........kthanxbye...
kodiak1232003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Axes of E-ville
 
Aces'n'8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Member # 48097
Location: West TN
Posts: 3,644
Tell her to get over it....

Or get her a revolver.....
Or an appropriate semi-auto rifle that utilizes clear polymer mags

or tell her to get over it.....

or become a smith and install loaded chamber indicators on every firearm you own and will own

How exactly is a bolt action rifle considered "viewable?" I mean, whether it be a BA or SA, cycling the action is going to look pretty similar and let the user view whether or not there's a round about to be chambered/is chambered.

or leave a big note saying, YES DEAR, THIS GUN IS FULLY LOADED AND CHAMBERED.
Aces'n'8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick
 
usmcdoc14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member # 13344
Location: Norfawk, VA
Posts: 13,806
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
most modern auto loading pistols have a indicator of some kind showing they are loaded nor is it difficult to gunsmith one into a pistol that does not.

most revolvers the only way to tell if they are loaded is to point them at your own face not something I would recommend.

I ALWAYS check to see if a weapon is loaded, its part of my training. So to me its a moot point.
__________________
Doc-14 Tactical Products:
When it absolutely, positively needs to be made from random crap found in the back of my garage.


You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44006
Posts: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
most modern auto loading pistols have a indicator of some kind showing they are loaded nor is it difficult to gunsmith one into a pistol that does not.

most revolvers the only way to tell if they are loaded is to point them at your own face not something I would recommend.

I ALWAYS check to see if a weapon is loaded, its part of my training. So to me its a moot point.
ahhh...there's a good lad. thanks for reminding me about loaded chamber indicators...that might be perfect for her...(a visual indicator w/o pulling mag out or pulling slide back)

you can see rounds in a gp100 from the rear...a bit of brass shows at each cartridge. just to argue with you..lol...
kodiak1232003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
I build stuff
 
aloharover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14561
Location: Just outside the evac zone
Posts: 16,594
Is she nervous about haveing a loaded weapon or in having to grab a gun to use for SD/HD and not knowing if it's loaded?

If the later, we have a number of safes in the home. Some for the business, some for my own weapons, and then the HD safes. Everything in the HD safes are loaded, round in chamber, safety on. The other safes are all cleared, not even any ammo in them.
__________________

Want to know how I lost 35lbs? Try INSANITY®.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick
 
usmcdoc14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member # 13344
Location: Norfawk, VA
Posts: 13,806
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak1232003 View Post
you can see rounds in a gp100 from the rear...a bit of brass shows at each cartridge. just to argue with you..lol...
brass does not = loaded they could be empties
__________________
Doc-14 Tactical Products:
When it absolutely, positively needs to be made from random crap found in the back of my garage.


You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hef
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Member # 11907
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 2,052
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to Hef
There is an aftermarket mag tube available for 870's that is made of clear plastic.
__________________
μολὼν λαβέ
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman
 
SilverZuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member # 13420
Location: Kenna, West Virginia
Posts: 7,103
Most people feel more comfortable with revolvers, break actions, lever actions, and bolt guns.

They feel they are more safe because they can see how it operates.
When in fact revolvers are no safer than an auto, possibly less safe because lack of a mechanical safety.
Break actions with hammers are easy to accidentally discharge by having the gun cocked and then slipping while letting the hammer back down. (Most don't have a mechanical safety).
Many accidental discharges have occured with lever guns. People shuffling the action to unload it and touch off the trigger (only recent model have a mechanical safety).
I feel bolt guns are as safe as any other type gun.

It is perception.
If she is more comfortable with one type, so be it.
My wife doesn't like shotguns period. They are too long for her, kick relatively hard, and heavy to hold up.
She can jam with an SKS, because it was made for a 5' 1" asian.
She can hammer away with most any pistol, but doesn't like my Kel Tec because the double action trigger.
She likes shooting bolt guns set up on a bi-pod and sandbag, but doesn't like shooting them off hand. After shooting a 22 auto rifle, she thought having to work the bolt each time was stupid
__________________
The penalty for punching someone in the mouth is way too high in our society.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44006
Posts: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
Most people feel more comfortable with revolvers, break actions, lever actions, and bolt guns.

They feel they are more safe because they can see how it operates.
When in fact revolvers are no safer than an auto, possibly less safe because lack of a mechanical safety.
Break actions with hammers are easy to accidentally discharge by having the gun cocked and then slipping while letting the hammer back down. (Most don't have a mechanical safety).
Many accidental discharges have occured with lever guns. People shuffling the action to unload it and touch off the trigger (only recent model have a mechanical safety).
I feel bolt guns are as safe as any other type gun.

It is perception.
If she is more comfortable with one type, so be it.
My wife doesn't like shotguns period. They are too long for her, kick relatively hard, and heavy to hold up.
She can jam with an SKS, because it was made for a 5' 1" asian.
She can hammer away with most any pistol, but doesn't like my Kel Tec because the double action trigger.
She likes shooting bolt guns set up on a bi-pod and sandbag, but doesn't like shooting them off hand. After shooting a 22 auto rifle, she thought having to work the bolt each time was stupid

great post, i'm gonna print it and let her read it. thanks...
kodiak1232003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member # 75475
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 300
If you always treat every gun as though it is loaded, it shouldnt matter. Unless you want it loaded, then some forethought is required
BarfBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Runner? What runner?
 
4runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Member # 946
Location: WTF TX USA
Posts: 6,836
Send a message via AIM to 4runner
every gun in my house is loaded, whether it is in the closet, on the wall display, or int eh home gun safe...it has a full mag in it and a rd in the chamber. All members of my family know this and steer clear, but know they are there in case of emergency. I have access to something in every room in the house. There is even a SW 38 in the bathrooms...
__________________
4.3runner
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TNToy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5776
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 11,736
I like hidden guns with hidden rounds and no mechanical safety...

__________________
[size=1]ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician
Toyota Certified Expert Technician
Volvo Certified Expert Technician
Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.