Gold prospecting - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Stay the Trail
 
mrboyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Member # 3937
Location: Who knows?
Posts: 1,944
The one thing to consider is if the areas you plan to use the dredge are open to use of mechanized prospecting. I've never checked Cali laws, but I do know a lot of areas here in Colorado and in Arizona it is illegal to use a dredge.
__________________
Mike Boyle
1980 Toyota PU

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
ItsaCJ6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6340
Location: Back in the woods
Posts: 3,866
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
Wasn't gold one of the primary reasons for the Cherokee Trail of Tears out of GA?

D.

That and the eviction notice.
__________________
Marc

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
No comment
 
camo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 4
Location: Rubicon
Posts: 19,056
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
The one thing to consider is if the areas you plan to use the dredge are open to use of mechanized prospecting. I've never checked Cali laws, but I do know a lot of areas here in Colorado and in Arizona it is illegal to use a dredge.
more then one thing to consider but point well taken.

in CA you have to buy an annual dredge permit for $48 and have to stay in legal areas for dredging.

as usual there is a ton of BS to know http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/casudrredrre.html
camo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
No comment
 
camo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 4
Location: Rubicon
Posts: 19,056
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
For where I live in Eldorado county



3) Class C: Open to dredging from the fourth Saturday in May through October 15.


9) El Dorado East of Highway 49 is Class C
camo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
No comment
 
camo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 4
Location: Rubicon
Posts: 19,056
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
but I live a stones throw from plenty of class H


(8) Class H: Open to dredging throughout the year.
camo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6291
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurrier44 View Post
This is something I have always wanted to try... I find myself clicking on that corny gold prospecting show on the outdoor channel all the time. My girl thinks I am crazy
I watch it every time I see it too ... got my wife into seeing what the dude will find also.
__________________
[list][*][url="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373488"][COLOR=lime]For sale: Ford D60 parts, D44 steering arms, etc ... [/COLOR] [/url] [/list]
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Super Willie
 
Tech Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Member # 19067
Location: T90, WA
Posts: 4,292
Dredges are like tires, every time you buy one, you'll be eyeing the next size bigger.

It all comes down to moving material, a 2 1/2" rock won't get stuck in a 3" dredge, a 3 -1/2" rock won't get stuck in a 5" dedge and so on... next thing you know you are eyeing Rockwells and 47" LTBs...

Ooooh, 8" moves a lot of rocks.....




Had a 1-1/2" dredge for a number of years, easy to pack in, that's how I kept from buying something bigger, made sure my dredging areas were pack in only trips.... can't pack in a 3"er in one trip.

Whatever you do, make sure you go with a suction nozzle as opposed to a powerjet model, you can lift the suction nozzle out of the water without loosing prime.

JonsYJjeep, there a alot of places to get color in WA, not many to get the kind of gold Camo is showing.
__________________
Tim Lund

Yeah, I wear a Kilt... what you're not man enough?!

Want beadlocks? Allied Beadlocks.... Best designed and best priced aluminum beadlock on the market!

Got 40 SPLINE? Time for you to get 40 spline too! 40 spline hubs, spindles, outer stub shafts, 40 spline 14 bolt & Dana 60 Air Lockers

http://www.wildwestfab.com.... WILD WEST OFF ROAD 360-264-5363
Tech Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
No comment
 
camo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 4
Location: Rubicon
Posts: 19,056
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Tim View Post
Dredges are like tires, every time you buy one, you'll be eyeing the next size bigger.

It all comes down to moving material,.
there is a 4 man 6" dredge operation up river a ways from where I like to go. they are a serious endeavor. to much work for me. I like to fish and drink beer to much for that sorta deal. but is is impressive to watch.


like your pack in criteria I want mine to fit on my quad or on the roof of my rock buggy.

the 2" proline will move 2 cubic yards pre hour wher the 2.5 moves 5 cubic yards per hour. seems like a good balance of size to performance.


in contrast. the unit you posted is a 6" and they will move 20 cubic yards per hour. A 12 wheeler dump truck holds 12 cubic yards

camo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
No comment
 
camo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 4
Location: Rubicon
Posts: 19,056
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
cool Gold Fever episode on panamint city at the top of Surprise canyon

http://www.goldprospectors.org/media...ver/index.aspx
camo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Member # 2587
Location: 38*45.859N 120*34.534W (N. Ca) Future location of beachfront property.
Posts: 3,516
Where we live it's just silly not to have interest in gold.
I have the sluice you pictured above, but significantly older.
I frequently run into guys on public land carrying heat, they're way more serious than me. That and the pot crops I stumble into on the banks of the river. :shakinghead:
Aggro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman
 
SilverZuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Member # 13420
Location: Kenna, West Virginia
Posts: 6,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
plenty of gold in the virginia area
http://www.goldmaps.com/east/virginia_gold_mines.htm

how far are you from these counties ?

Big Ten’s Virginia Gold Map shows 200 gold mines and prospecting locations from official geological records of the State of Virginia and the federal government. Gold sites are shown in these 15 counties:

Buckingham Culpepper Cumberland Fairfax Fauquier Floyd Fluvanna Goochland Halifax Louisa Orange Patrick Prince William Spotsylvania Stafford.

and all you need to find gold is a shovel and a pan

Pretty sure you can swing $5 for a pan

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=GPHSS
The closest is about 5 hours east of me.
Gold in the east is much more scarce that it is out west.
__________________
The penalty for punching someone in the mouth is way too high in our society.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #37 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
CaryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 22104
Location: Northeast Texas
Posts: 2,651
How do the greenies feel about gold hunters? I am sure they love them as much as wheelers.
__________________
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
CaryW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15404
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
take her prospecting and make her a piece of jewelry from what you find. she will be hooked for life

Well she is not the jewelry type of girl... but she does like camping and the outdoors. There is actualy a small claim right below their cabin. I would love to be able to find out who ownes it and purchase it from them... as far as I can tell no one has used if for a very long time.


So you guys have any sugestions for the best places to find gold? I know of a lot of mine sites around here and I know gold is heavy but don't realy know the best places to look.
__________________
Life begins where the pavement ends!
rcurrier44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #39 (permalink)
I build stuff
 
aloharover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14561
Location: Just outside the evac zone
Posts: 16,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
more then one thing to consider but point well taken.

in CA you have to buy an annual dredge permit for $48 and have to stay in legal areas for dredging.

as usual there is a ton of BS to know http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/casudrredrre.html
What about the legality of actually looking for it, wether by pan or by dredge?

I haven't researched it much, but it's my understanding that just about every square inch of CO is ownded by someone when you start talking mineral rights.
__________________

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITY®.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #40 (permalink)
No comment
 
camo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 4
Location: Rubicon
Posts: 19,056
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurrier44 View Post
W I would love to be able to find out who ownes it and purchase it from them... as far as I can tell no one has used if for a very long time.


So you guys have any sugestions for the best places to find gold? I know of a lot of mine sites around here and I know gold is heavy but don't realy know the best places to look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
What about the legality of actually looking for it, wether by pan or by dredge?

I haven't researched it much, but it's my understanding that just about every square inch of CO is ownded by someone when you start talking mineral rights.
rcurrie

1. mining claims are relatively easy to find who owns them. go to the BLM website or field office or your county clerk recorder. each state is different but a claim has to be maintained to keep ownership. of find the northwest corner of the claim and the mine owner has to keep a record of ownership in a 4' high post.

2. where to find gold. in the rivers and streams around you is where a hobby prospector spends 99% of the time.


aloharover

1. california owes it's existence on the CA gold rush. as such most of the ca constitution and founding laws were written by gold miners such as, crocker ( huge bank that became part of wells fargo ) strausse ( pants guy ) Amour ( meat packaging empire ) and many other early notable pioneers. the laws that thet wrote are still favorable to mining and certainly hobby prospectors.

colorado is an awesome place to have gold fever !!! I have spent many summers there not only prospecting but touring badass old mines, ghost towns and museums that are rich in history and very fascinating.

try this website http://www.lornet.com/prospector/links.htm
or go take the family to Ouray for a weekend adventure.

the Ouray and Creede museums are my favorites.
camo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
No comment
 
camo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 4
Location: Rubicon
Posts: 19,056
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
I love Ghost Towns as much as I love actually prospecting.

.
camo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #42 (permalink)
Super Willie
 
Tech Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Member # 19067
Location: T90, WA
Posts: 4,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurrier44 View Post
There is actualy a small claim right below their cabin. I would love to be able to find out who ownes it and purchase it from them... as far as I can tell no one has used if for a very long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post

1. mining claims are relatively easy to find who owns them. go to the BLM website or field office or your county clerk recorder. each state is different but a claim has to be maintained to keep ownership. of find the northwest corner of the claim and the mine owner has to keep a record of ownership in a 4' high post.

As long as it's not a patented claim, you can take over a claim from someone if they are not doing their maintenance, but you have to document for a couple years that no improvements are being done, contest it with the BLM and it can be hard to do.

The best thing we've found is to find out who the owners are, befriend them and get permission to do some small scale prospecting on their claim.
__________________
Tim Lund

Yeah, I wear a Kilt... what you're not man enough?!

Want beadlocks? Allied Beadlocks.... Best designed and best priced aluminum beadlock on the market!

Got 40 SPLINE? Time for you to get 40 spline too! 40 spline hubs, spindles, outer stub shafts, 40 spline 14 bolt & Dana 60 Air Lockers

http://www.wildwestfab.com.... WILD WEST OFF ROAD 360-264-5363
Tech Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
No comment
 
camo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 4
Location: Rubicon
Posts: 19,056
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
or just join the GPAA of the LDMA and then you can prospect on the clubs mining claims. the cool deal with that is it is inexpensive and proven gold fields.

http://www.goldprospectors.org/membership/gpaa/
http://www.goldprospectors.org/membership/ldma/
camo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member # 36733
Location: Was Bozeman now Cofederated tribes res
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurrier44 View Post
Well she is not the jewelry type of girl... but she does like camping and the outdoors. There is actualy a small claim right below their cabin. I would love to be able to find out who ownes it and purchase it from them... as far as I can tell no one has used if for a very long time.


So you guys have any sugestions for the best places to find gold? I know of a lot of mine sites around here and I know gold is heavy but don't realy know the best places to look.
Head west to Virginia City, Alder Gulch, Elkhorn or even above Anaconda because granite is your friend not limestone or other sedimentary stuff in this endeavour...

And for the folks interested in ghost towns all the places I listed are just that.

D.
__________________
[I]Vegetarian is an old Native American word for bad hunter[/I]

Last edited by DavidVanVorous; 08-06-2008 at 12:19 PM.
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15404
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
Head west to Virginia City, Alder Gulch, Elkhorn or even above Anaconda because granite is your friend not limestone or other sedimentary stuff in this endeavour...

And for the folks interested in ghost towns all the places I listed are just that.

D.
We are going to be up Mica Mine trail with the Bozeman FS this weekend and then on the 23rd and 24th we are going to be up North and South Medow with the Ennis FS. There isn't much water as far as I can tell up Mica but there is a lot over in those tobacoo root trails. I was thinking about trying to get a pan before we go up there.

I see you on here quite often but can't say I have ever met you ... what do you drive?

ROB
__________________
Life begins where the pavement ends!
rcurrier44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #46 (permalink)
I build stuff
 
aloharover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14561
Location: Just outside the evac zone
Posts: 16,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
colorado is an awesome place to have gold fever !!! I have spent many summers there not only prospecting but touring badass old mines, ghost towns and museums that are rich in history and very fascinating.

try this website http://www.lornet.com/prospector/links.htm
or go take the family to Ouray for a weekend adventure.

the Ouray and Creede museums are my favorites.

I agree. Growing up in ME I always had this fasination with the West. I am having a blast checking out old mines, ghost towns, etc. A large majority of our trails are mine related.
The Leadville area is a awesome and they have an unbelievable mine museum.
Some guys in the club pan.
__________________

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITY®.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member # 36733
Location: Was Bozeman now Cofederated tribes res
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurrier44 View Post
We are going to be up Mica Mine trail with the Bozeman FS this weekend and then on the 23rd and 24th we are going to be up North and South Medow with the Ennis FS. There isn't much water as far as I can tell up Mica but there is a lot over in those tobacoo root trails. I was thinking about trying to get a pan before we go up there.

I see you on here quite often but can't say I have ever met you ... what do you drive?

ROB
The trips sound fun.

As to what I drive depends on the day, either the wifes Suzuki econobox or a "yellowish" '74 Scout with CO collector tags.

D.
__________________
[I]Vegetarian is an old Native American word for bad hunter[/I]
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #48 (permalink)
Super Willie
 
Tech Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Member # 19067
Location: T90, WA
Posts: 4,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
or just join the GPAA of the LDMA and then you can prospect on the clubs mining claims. the cool deal with that is it is inexpensive and proven gold fields.

http://www.goldprospectors.org/membership/gpaa/
http://www.goldprospectors.org/membership/ldma/
x2! We've been GPAA lifetime members since 1999 and it has well paid for itself.
__________________
Tim Lund

Yeah, I wear a Kilt... what you're not man enough?!

Want beadlocks? Allied Beadlocks.... Best designed and best priced aluminum beadlock on the market!

Got 40 SPLINE? Time for you to get 40 spline too! 40 spline hubs, spindles, outer stub shafts, 40 spline 14 bolt & Dana 60 Air Lockers

http://www.wildwestfab.com.... WILD WEST OFF ROAD 360-264-5363
Tech Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15404
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
The trips sound fun.
Yep, alot of fun, a little work and hopefully the club can keep some trails open around here.

ROB
__________________
Life begins where the pavement ends!
rcurrier44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #50 (permalink)
Rock God
 
jwag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7638
Location: norcal
Posts: 1,101
Send a message via AIM to jwag
ellicot? c'mon am I close?
__________________
www.westcoastfabworks.com
jwag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.