The Anti-AWB letter writing campaign- MOBILIZE NOW - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
The Anti-AWB letter writing campaign- MOBILIZE NOW

The PBB letter writing script for land use issues has me thinking.
I have talked to the person that set it up for the PBB and I am planning on creating something similar in opposition to any AWB on the horizon.

What I will do is set it up on my forums. Figure it needs to go to every single member of congress, all 50 governors, the pres, and his entire cabinet.
So if(when) we hear someone introduce a new bill we start flooding all of their in boxes with opposition email.

In preparation of this I though maybe it would be a good idea to start working on the letter template. Anyone want to help provide input?

Want to know how I lost 35lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT

Last edited by Grendel; 11-15-2008 at 04:17 PM.
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
big bird

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
We already know the bills have been introduced, so why not just start writing right now?

I've sent several to my state reps and senator, and have always gotten positive repsonses regarding them, so I'd be for it sooner, rather than later...
Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Have a bill number?

The McCarthy bill will expire at the end of session. It pretty much died in committee.
In order to be effective it needs to address a specific bill.

What I am thinking is the letter needs to have some specific text in it, like what are the specific facts regarding:
Crime rates during the Clinton AWB
What percentage of crimes are commited with the banned weapons since the ban ended.
How many people per year killed by auto mobiles, killed with blunt instruments, killed with knives, etc.
Stuff like that. And I would like to provide links to real data, not jsut back to NRA web site.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5132
And something like this posted the other day. Mustard Dog stated that Clinton admitted that the AWB was one of his big mistakes. Use that ammo in the letters...............
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
nights end here

Member # 35217
I think there has to be some data floating around out there somewhere. As to a specific bill, why? get a jump start with a general letter/lobbying and then when a bill is introduced we hit em hard.

I know you can go online and find your congressman etc. so if we put together a letter each person can send it.
James Firearm and Palmetto State Defense
01/03 and 07/SOT
FlexCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 64421
The last NRA ILA email had some good statistics in it, but the website is down.
TheRedHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
The problem is getting direct e-mails for everyone in congress.

They do not really make the direct e-mail public. If you want to get a hold of one of them, you must go thru a website with a form...

That was one big sticking point with the PBB generator on several issues.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
I'd help with the template. I can also do the research for direct email. They do post that information, just have to spend some time looking for it.

Now is the time to mobilize, before they start. Let them know they have two years to do something or they're out.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 69633
Hey its not just your state its our state and if we could get all gun owners to gather around a nice big round table we might safe our Right and hobby.

It should be a lot easier now than it would have been in 1994 as the net has propagated a lot farther than it was then and communication should be easier but we need to act as one voice not many scattered voices that are only concerned about their type of firearm.

IE we need to get the ZUMBOs of the country united as one.

And the title II firearms owners as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
i'm gunna write letters encouraging an aw ban so you fuckers quit making fun of my state
ParadiseAutoElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 40266
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=158&issue=019

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=238&issue=019

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=213&issue=019

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=163&issue=019

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Filter.aspx?id=019
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
I wrote up all the templates for the PBB letter generator, with the exception of the TNF one, which Bebe wrote....

A couple of things that I have discovered:

1. Personalized letters are WAY more effective that a senator getting 2,000 copies of the exact same letter. If people are given the option to write their own letter, or cut and paste a sample letter, 9 times out of ten they will just cut a paste the sample letter. Very few will make changes to the sample letter.

IMO it is better if you give them ideas of what to write and give them a short outline to follow.

Like this:

WHAT TO WRITE:
Forms letters do not have the same effect that individual, personal letters have, so we are asking you to take 5 minutes to write a personal note to these representatives. To get you started, here is a suggestion on what to write:

A SALUTATION AND A CLOSING ARE NOT NEEDED! The letter generator will do that for you. Just write the body of the letter!

1st Paragraph:
Introduce yourself and tell them how you and your family enjoy public lands on OHVs.

2nd Paragraph:
Demand that the Wilderness Bill in this area NOT be passed.

Tell them how there are better ways to manage lands instead of just shutting them down to the public.

Tell them that the Wilderness Bill is not needed in this area as there is no encroaching development, mining or clear-cut logging in this area.

DEMAND that the historic Furnace Creek Road should remain open to OHV users, forest visitors, hunters, etc.

This bill will also eliminate many areas to snowmobile use! Demand that the bill not be passed to close the area to sleds that do NO DAMAGE to the land.

3rd Paragraph:
Thank them for their time and tell them that conservation, not confiscation, is the way to manage public lands.

2. Don't make the template too long. If people click on a page and see a TON of writing...they tend to not even bother. Writing the letter should not take more than 5-6 minutes.

3. Make sure you have the letters dumped into a e-mail you set up to track them and count them. I set up a different e-mail addy for each campaign we do on Pirate for land-use, and everyday read thru what letters have been sent. You never know when the "Other side" will use your generator against you...

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Stay the Trail

Member # 3937
Here's your first target! http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-6257

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.

Battlement Fab
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 26077
Send a message via AIM to another Lance
here is a bunch of letters:
http://www.gunowners.org/hstb.htm

and here is a contact system for 110th congress
http://www.gunowners.org/cci.htm

legislative action center:
http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm

statistics:
http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus.html
seems like a non-biased site, and its interactive too.
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
another Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 64421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
My favorite part of that bill:
Quote:
Rep. Mark Kirk [R-IL]
Cosponsors [as of 2008-11-07]
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen [R-FL]
Rep. Michael Ferguson [R-NJ]
Rep. Christopher Shays [R-CT]
Rep. Michael Castle [R-DE]
TheRedHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
big bird

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedHorseman View Post
My favorite part of that bill:

and the Rs wonder why they lose elections...
Old 11-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Mobilization

Ok, we know that Obama is a gun grabber. We KNOW, with some of the Democrats in place, they will put forth gun control/ban legislation. We need to nip this in the bud today, right now. We need to start somewhere and I had a thought about it.

What I propose:

Grass Roots Mobilization. We need people in every state to get the word out. With the internet, there are many different enthusiast boards for every state. We need to petition, with real voter's names, addresses, etc, at the state level.

For instance, my Rep is going to be Carol Shea Porter. I asked her about 2nd Amendment rights and this was her (canned) reply:

"Dear Grendel:

Thank you for writing my office and sharing your thoughts with me regarding the Second Amendment.

As you know, the Supreme Court recently affirmed that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to bear arms rather than a collective right. As such, any restriction on individual gun rights is subjected to strict scrutiny. I support the Second Amendment and support an individual right to bear arms. I also support necessary and limited restrictions on this right, consistent with the Supreme Court's interpretation of the Second Amendment, where necessary to protect public safety. I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress debates this important issue.

To learn more about current legislation or about my voting record, I invite you to visit the Library of Congress legislative information website (www.thomas.gov). There, you can find the full text of a bill or a summary, who introduced it and when, who is cosponsoring it, and where it is in the legislative process. I also invite you to visit my website (http://shea-porter.house.gov) for more information about bills that I have introduced or cosponsored, and for issue updates, position statements, or to sign up for my email newsletter.

Thank you again for contacting my office. It is a privilege to serve you in Washington."

This is absolute double speak. Limit a Right?

What I am doing: Gathering signatures of voters in HER district. We will let her know that there is a growing body of voters in her district and that we're not going to take limiting our rights. The Dems pretty much know this, we had a Democratic Congress in 2004 that would not take on the AWB as it in sunset. We need to press the issue further, get vocal and get real. We need to get in their faces and stay there.

What I need:

We need people to get out there, get organized. Find the individual States and mobilize them. Get out on the boards, collect those signatures and contact the Reps and Senators. Let them know they have 2 years to NOT fuck this up.

We need statistics from credible sources, we need to educate the masses:
  • The average gun owner is not the stereotypical homicidal maniac. (Dear old Mom owns a .38).
  • We need to prove that guns prevent crime. (England and Australia).
  • We need to show that guns are not going away. (When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns).
  • We need to prove that gun ownership is going up (this latest trend certainly helps).

We need common, calm and reasonable language to add to the petition. We also need laws and precedence that supports our case.

Obama has a very tough row to hoe. He may take on feel good legislation before he falls flat on his face. We need to show him, through his own congress that we won't take this sitting down or lightly at all. Pick an easier subject or lose the majority and the re-election.

Thoughts?

I'd really like to see this cross posted on every board there is. I really would like to see some of you get off your butts and get involved in your district. Hell, even run for office!

Get your politician's information here:

This is Grendel and I approve this message.

Last edited by Grendel; 11-15-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
bump for the merge.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Get the reps in your state:

Can send them email right through that link.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Gang, this ismore then just a good idea. It's a neccessity

Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 102365
you set it up and i will write a letter (or three)
Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmuddboger View Post
you set it up and i will write a letter (or three)
We need to do some research. See my post in this thread for what I need.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 102365
some info on gun sales in the last 20 yearshttp://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...E653A9A3094%7D

crime rates of england and austraila before and after gun control
http://www.gunowners.org/sk0703.htm

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."
-- Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996.

Last edited by urbanmuddboger; 11-19-2008 at 09:28 PM.
urbanmuddboger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 102365
so what happend to this?