Gun refinish -Cerakote/Duracoat/Gun-Kote - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Gun refinish -Cerakote/Duracoat/Gun-Kote

I have a bolt action rifle I home re-blued last year that's not holding up well after this hunting season . I want a low maintenance durable finish I can do at home. The bottom metal is pretty banged up also and needs re-finishing( I think it's aluminum). I looked on brownells website and I'm thinking of trying either

-Cerakote
-Duracoat
-Gun-Kote

Any PBB experience with any of these

I can make a sand blast cabinet out of plastic tote, plexiglass, leather gloves that should be long enough to hold the barrel and action to blast with aluminum oxide. I only have a regular home oven to bake the finish in unless I can figure out a way to fab a 300 degree oven in my garage. I'm not sure it will fit in a regular oven.

Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
I've been using Duracote since Doc's first inspiring thread, but have been using Gunkote a lot lately and I like it much more. Both from a prep/application aspect and a wear/feel point of view.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Here is a link to a pretty basic shop oven made from a heating element and a dimmer switch.

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/heater/heater1.html
Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 75285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmup View Post
I've been using Duracote since Doc's first inspiring thread, but have been using Gunkote a lot lately and I like it much more. Both from a prep/application aspect and a wear/feel point of view.
Have you tried the K-Phos as a base coat when applying Gun Kote?

If so, how were the results?
FugginZukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Add moly resin to the list Norm

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
I have only used DuraCoat so far. I had an issue one time where it came out too glossy. Still not sure what I did wrong.
I have done maybe 30 rifles so far and a half dozen pistols.
Thing that I like about it the most is color choices and ease of use.
Wait three weeks and its very durable. I have been beating on my space gun and the only issue is that I did not use DuraHeat on the supressor and its cooked black

I want to try Moly Resin. Has a very good review on a number of web sites

DC-v-GK
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=82723

I also really am interested in trying out cerekote.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Originally Posted by FugginZukin View Post
Have you tried the K-Phos as a base coat when applying Gun Kote?

If so, how were the results?
Yes and under duracote too. I really like the way it looks. Looks different than just spraying over a 60G blasted surface.

Gunkote is far easier to spray. No mixing anything (not that its that big of a deal though) and it cleans up with brake cleaner. Duracote does not like brake cleaner, before or after.

Pete, I belive the glossy look is from too much hardner. I also had it come out real coarse looking a couple of times. Turns out it was from the humidity.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 75285
Quote:
Yes and under duracote too. I really like the way it looks. Looks different than just spraying over a 60G blasted surface.

Gunkote is far easier to spray. No mixing anything (not that its that big of a deal though) and it cleans up with brake cleaner. Duracote does not like brake cleaner, before or after.

Pete, I belive the glossy look is from too much hardner. I also had it come out real coarse looking a couple of times. Turns out it was from the humidity.
Sounds good. Do you think the K-Phos adds any durability to the finish? Similar to a park base?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Any idea where to get small quantity's of K-Phos ? I've seen it quarts, but that's a lot of primer. I'm thinking of using it as a base for a Cerakote job. Brownells does not show any K-Phos that I could see
Old 12-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
What is K-Phos?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
What is K-Phos?
https://www.kgcoatings.com/index.php...d&productId=21

Quote:
K-Phos is a major breakthrough in the field of corrosion protection. It was developed to provide a simple method of applying an organic sealed phosphate coating to metal. Highly resistant to rust and corrosion, it provides an excellent bond for Gun Kote. Easily applied, K-Phos offers the protection against rust and corrosion formerly available only by means of a complex system of tanks and solutions. Surfaces treated with K-Phos can be exposed to weather for several days until a final finish is applied without losing its protective effectiveness.

Some gun refinishers swear by K-Phos and CeraKote .... sounded good to me
Old 12-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Any idea where to get small quantity's of K-Phos ? I've seen it quarts, but that's a lot of primer. I'm thinking of using it as a base for a Cerakote job. Brownells does not show any K-Phos that I could see
I do not know. A customer brought it and left it with me when I was done.
Cerakote is a bunch of money. I don't see the need to spend that kinda coin. Looking at the sample plates they sent, I don't see a big difference. Feels very similar to GK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FugginZukin View Post
Sounds good. Do you think the K-Phos adds any durability to the finish? Similar to a park base?

Similar to Park, durability ? Who knows. I wouldn't bother with it on my own guns.

The only time I felt the need to Park first was when there was some pitting and the Park helps fill it in.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Quote:
Similar to Park, durability ? Who knows. I wouldn't bother with it on my own guns.

The only time I felt the need to Park first was when there was some pitting and the Park helps fill it in.
So you just GK and bake ?

I have a old Howa Rifle with bluing on the barrel and some sort of black paint on the action and bottom metal. It's my primary hunting rifle and get used hard in all types of weather. I was looking for a tough low maintenance finish. I was going to make a sandblaster out of a plastic tote so I can blast the action/barrel, then paint it something flat (black/grey/olive ??). It has a factory plastic woodland camo stock.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 75285
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I have been researching this stuff all day and the consensus from all the BB's I have been reading is to:

A. 120 grit Alox blast
B. K-Phos
C. Gun Kote
D. Bake longer than recommended for harder finish (while keeping an eye on color tint)

Does this sound like the hot ticket?

Also from what I read Gun-Kote sprays on a lot thinner than Duracoat, yet is just as, if not more, durable than Duracoat. Any truth to this? Looking for a thin, yet durable, spray on finish. Something I can use on internals with tight tolerances.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 75285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Any idea where to get small quantity's of K-Phos?
Click!

As small of volume as 8 oz.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 23596
Duracoat has to be mixed (separate catalyst).

Gun Kote has to be baked (heat catalyst). Gun Kote cannot be used on scopes and plastic because it has to be baked, but they have an air-cure version (1200 series aka stock kote) for scopes and stocks etc.

Gun Kote is easy because you dont have to mix anything, providing you can fit the firearm and its peices in the oven.
Napoleon047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Same here. I have a shit-ton of gunkote now in aerosol and airbrush form. The aerosol is somewhat expensive, but about the easiest and best coating you can put on a rifle IMO. If you do it correctly at least. Though, I've yet to fuck one up.

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
Bumping an age old thread. I picked up an air brush and a small detail HVLP gun at HF today. I want to coat both my barreled actions. I have heard Duracoat does not do well inside bolt actions causing them to not run well. SO, considering Gun Kote or Moly Resin. Where can I pick up Moly Resin? I also prefer not to pre coat though that's not a deal breaker and I really don't want to sandblast. How to prep polished stainless?

Last edited by Chris; 03-04-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 41014
Check with James Firearm, pretty sure those dudes swear by moly resin. I have a bottle sitting on my bench for over a year now. Been meaning to spray a couple AK's but have not gotten around to it yet

It says Norrell Mfg. on the bottle. Website www.molyresin.com. $30 for 8oz or $75 for a quart.
LT1CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 72494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
How to prep polished stainless?
If you don't blast it you should be able to prep it with 220-400 grit emery cloth.

Ceracoat is supposed to be the best but I don't know of a at home application process. I haven't looked into it that much either.

[QUOTE=BeefCakeScout;10563632]I was, but if you won't kiss me after I blow you then i'll find someone else:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=317103[/IMG]
77bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ View Post
Check with James Firearm, pretty sure those dudes swear by moly resin. I have a bottle sitting on my bench for over a year now. Been meaning to spray a couple AK's but have not gotten around to it yet

It says Norrell Mfg. on the bottle. Website www.molyresin.com. $30 for 8oz or $75 for a quart.
Looks like you have to park it first. Eh, maybe I'll just pay to have it cerakoted. If I could get someone to call me back.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:

Gunkote is far easier to spray.

Funny to read this. I sure dont feel this way now. I've gotten really good with Duracoat. Never had any flaking, chipping or failures of any kind. And its so easy a caveman could do it.

Quote:
Bumping an age old thread. I picked up an air brush and a small detail HVLP gun at HF today. I want to coat both my barreled actions. I have heard Duracoat does not do well inside bolt actions causing them to not run well. SO, considering Gun Kote or Moly Resin. Where can I pick up Moly Resin? I also prefer not to pre coat though that's not a deal breaker and I really don't want to sandblast. How to prep polished stainless?
Ive "heard" that too but never seen it. You can really thin it so Im not sure why it would be an issue.

I wouldnt spray anything that wasnt blasted first. Thats just me.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 140580
Who here does coating? I want to have my Saiga stripped and coated some different colors...
1996 DODGE 2500, 4X4, CUMMINS, 370'S, 5GSK, MACK PLUG, STUDS, SFI FLEX PLATE, DERALE DEEP PAN, EMS HUB KIT WITH 35 SPLINE INNER AND OUTTER MOSER AXLES, WARN GOLD LOCK-OUTS, 3 IN. LEVELING KIT, DUAL EDELBROCK REMOTE RESERVOIR SHOCKS, ROUGH COUNTRY STEERING STABILIZER, STEERING BOX BRACE.
LOGANSTANFORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
James Firearm does Moly Resin as mentioned above.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
SHOOT TO THRILL!

Member # 26382
Quote:
Looks like you have to park it first. Eh, maybe I'll just pay to have it cerakoted. If I could get someone to call me back.
i've used a lot of moly-resin and never parked anything first. i blast with 70 grit a/o and then coat. stainless or carbon steel. it goes on thin if you do it right so coating bolts and the inside of a receiver is not a problem. if i get around to it tomorrow, maybe i can get a picture of the bolt on my .284 after 2700 rounds of live fire and who knows how many cycles from dry firing etc.

edit: the person not calling you back isn't the guy i recommend, is it?

Last edited by 300sniper; 03-04-2011 at 08:01 PM.
300sniper is offline   Reply With Quote