Gun buying question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73107
Gun buying question

I have wondered this before. If you thought someone had a gun for sale but you don't know if they are just a dumb ass and don't know what stuff is worth or if they are trying to pawn it off because it has a history with sticky fingered mother fuckers. Anyways, can you call the Sheriffs office and have them check the serial?
Sturgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 10425
Send a message via AIM to skulltoy
Yep you sure can.

A couple of weeks ago I ran across a sweet deal on a 1911. Called the local PD and asked them to run the numbers, a half hour later they called me back and said I was good to go.

I did wonder though if they'd have just knocked on my door if the gun was hot or used in a crime.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 64490
I'm sure it varies state to state, but in california you can call them and have it run, but from what I've been told, all they can tell you is if it's clean or not.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73107
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedownnate View Post
I'm sure it varies state to state, but in california you can call them and have it run, but from what I've been told, all they can tell you is if it's clean or not.
Pretty much all I am worried about. Sucks that you have to cover your ass so much on good deals these days.
Sturgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 48233
The last few smokin deals I've gotten I've shot the gun once, cleaned throughly and sold for a profit within 2 weeks, so its no skin off my back
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedownnate View Post
Even worse, it varies from department to department. I've never dealt with a department that would do that for me, and it chaps my ass.

If I unknowingly purchase a stolen firearm, I'm putting myself at risk. Yet they refuse to give me the ability to confirm if that firearm is stolen or not.

Yet more good sense in America when it comes to guns.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 64490
What departments have you tried? I've even heard of people calling chp, but the sheriff's dept seems to be the most willing. It helps that we have some lake cops at the resort who'll run shit for us too
Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
I wonder what system the local PD checks in?

Think it extends any further then their jurisdiction?

As an FFL I would love to have access to something. But I don't take used firearms so not that much of a concern

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7938
I have a cop friend that can check them but, if they are hot he has to take them in. He tells me when he types the serial number in his lap top it alerts certain people. This is something new with in the last year or so.
KS Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
I wonder what system the local PD checks in?

Think it extends any further then their jurisdiction?

As an FFL I would love to have access to something. But I don't take used firearms so not that much of a concern
I don't take used firearms for the same reason... I had a guy that wanted to trade a rugar LCP for an AR lower LPK and stock...He offered the pistol and $75...I suggested he sell it FTF and come back with cash. All I need is for the ATF to come down on me for possessing/transferring a stolen pistol. You know as well as I do that because i'm an FFL, I should have known better...

BTW Pete, do yall have Echeck in CO? We just got it here in SC, and its ...I can do a BG check in less that 60 seconds.
Schmozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Won't do that around here. When my deer rifle was stolen, I went to the local gun shop to buy another and mentioned what happened to the other gun figuring he'd already have been warned by the Sherriff's office to be on the lookout for it. Nope, they never told him jack. Worse, when guys came in trying to get $100 for a $2,500 shotgun, no-go on them helping with the serial #'s. Chapped my ass as I figured a stolen gun has to be THE most traceable item taken in burglaries and that a lot of cases were going cold with the Sherriff's office taking this attitude.
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Obtuse

Member # 15436
Would one expect an additional loss of value from a stolen & recovered firearm?

Scenario: Wifey bought a 3"GP100 new maybe 12 years back. It got stolen (and reported ASAP.) A couple of years later the SO detective who took the report calls, says that she can pick up her gun. It was in the same shape as it left in, however had been fired and not cleaned.

I understand that all 'crime guns' here in NC get sent to the SBI lab, and test specimens (fired brass & recovered bullets) are taken and checked against their DB for a match. That explains the dirty condition. I'd assume that if it were matched to an open investigation -anywhere- she'd have never gotten it back...

She is wanting to trade it in, likely at the same gun store/pawn shop it was purchased from... would she be under any obligation to disclose it's 'checkered' past? It would bring the suck if it was still on some "hot list," and the goon squad swoops on her while her transaction/BGC seems to be taking a long time

So what says the PBB. Is this ex-hot, but otherwise VGC gun greatly reduced in resale or does it not matter?
Don "Woody" Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Not 5S compliant

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don "Woody" Woodward View Post
Would one expect an additional loss of value from a stolen & recovered firearm?

So what says the PBB. Is this ex-hot, but otherwise VGC gun greatly reduced in resale or does it not matter?
Barring unknown/unrepaired mechanical damage, stolen-and-recovered guns are no different than stolen-and-recovered cars (or electronics, or anything else) IMO, and worth the same as their un-stolen brethren.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote