safety stuff: eyes and ears - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
safety stuff: eyes and ears

ears: what is the min acceptable dB reduction one should have on their ears? I found a pair of 25dB reduction foam earplugs and am wondering if they'd be satisfactory.

eyes: recommendations? honestly, I should just get new glasses, and probably will in the next month or 2, but in case I don't get to it...
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20099
For what, shooting?

I just use whatever earplugs they have in the box at work. NRR 25 I think.

Glasses??
nate379 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102478
I use the same ear protection, eyes, I just use my prescription sunglasses or my regular glasses if its not bright enough.
jeepinj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 27349
Send a message via Yahoo to Hoxviii
More is always better- You can get winchester 32NRR foam earplugs, 5 pairs for $2 at almost any sporting goods store imagineable.

Cheap insurance.

For eyes, just get a new set of glasses with ANSI approved lenses; it shouldn't add more than $50 to a pair of glasses. I have a pair and then have the slip on side shields that go on the ear wings. With real glasses, i never notice the sidewings. With safety glasses, i always do and they always annoy me.

Last edited by Hoxviii; 02-09-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98578
I use my oakley ballistic M frames for eye pro. Not a huge oakley buff, but they're proven and I got them relatively cheap. If you are/were military/LE or gov't worker than usstandardissue.com has some smokin deals.

As far as ear pro, I usually just do foam plugs or my generic remington earmuffs.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 51267
Send a message via AIM to 4in100
use whatever you can afford. The foamies are the cheapest but also perform to set ANSI standards so they're just as good as the rest. I like the screw looking ones that have the hold through them. They don't give you that stopped up ear feeling and you can TALK WITHOUT HAVING TO YELL TO FEEL LIKE YOU"RE NOT WHISPERING.

Glasses: ANSI Z87 is the standard for most "safety glasses". It is supposed to be printed/impressed/etc on anything that meets the standard. If they meet that you're good as that's the only standard testing really done. Anything else is your $$
Tellico One 65

Last edited by 4in100; 02-09-2009 at 05:13 AM.
4in100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 80841
For eyes I used to have a pair of shooting glasses I got from a gun store but they didn't fit well with my ear muffs. We bought these in bulk at work so I started wearing them, they are much more comfy. Safety Glasses

For ear muffs I just have a pair of Peltor muffs. They are kinda bulky but they do pretty good. I would like to try some of the electronic noise canceling muffs but I've never got around to it.

Luke
665.0coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 79207
I use a set of those indoor outdoor two end plugs, I like them a bit better then the foam.
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...&type_id=39742
otherloginbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 37340
I usually wear foamies and ear muffs. I've been around a lot of loud machinery and gunfire in my short life and still have good hearing thanks to wearing ear protection.

I have some Remington safety glasses that I use when shooting. Unfortunately I've gotten in the bad habit of not wearing glasses when I'm working on my truck and have gotten several pieces of metal in my eyes as a result. Thankfully none of them caused any permanent damage and were able to be removed.
zainyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 40266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4in100 View Post
use whatever you can afford. The foamies are the cheapest but also perform to set ANSI standards so they're just as good as the rest. I like the screw looking ones that have the hold through them. They don't give you that stopped up ear feeling and you can TALK WITHOUT HAVING TO YELL TO FEEL LIKE YOU"RE NOT WHISPERING.
I like that style also. I had a pair of the surefire ones that had the ring and everything. They block out high decibel sounds but let the low ones through.

Of course, I can't keep up with mine and have a bunch of the cheap foamies for around for just in case.

"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 65026
I have just about every sort of ear protection known to man, including some noise cancelling stuff but I usually find myself using regular ol' foam ear plugs, they are comfortable, cheap and have an excellent NRR.

I've spent my whole adult life around helicopters and do my fair share of shooting and my hearing is actually better now then it was 12 years ago if that means anything.

I'm not so good about always wearing eye protection, but when I do I've got a bunch of the cheap remington(I think) shooting glasses from walmart or a pair of Wiley-X's or Oakleys that Uncle gave me. As long as they meet Z87.1, and they are comfortable you should be good to go.
misterfubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6340
For me it's Plugs for 22 and pistol ammo, It plugs and muffs for rifle ammo.

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 36733
The only time I dont wear hearing protection when shooting is when hunting. I use the foamies from work that are rated at 33 dB. Work got them from McMaster Carr in large quantity...

As to glasses, just a pair of polarised neutral grey Smiths. That, or a pair of over the nose 1.75 diopter readers to wear while adjusting sights/scopes...

D.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Man Child

Member # 2175
I posted up on here a while back my review of the electronic hearing protection I've started using. I love'em. I wear glasses so eyes isn't an issue.
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Not 5S compliant

Member # 1889
I just grab stuff from work. 31db rated foam ear plugs and whatever safety glasses I have at the moment. The ear plugs are OTMT (I think they're Travers house brand) and came in a 200-pair box prebagged by the pair, I think the box was $15ish. Ask the next time I see you, I've usually got some in the door pocket in my truck; you can have some if you want to try them.

My safety glasses were a bit spendier, but not awful, probably $8 for the pair. I've found that once you find comfy safety glasses, they're worth spending money on if need be, and worth cycling through as they get scratched-up as well--comfy clear glasses, I'll wear all day. Uncomfy scratched ones, I'll take off every chance I get, and neglect to wear them when I should, and... that's bad.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 51267
Send a message via AIM to 4in100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
The only time I dont wear hearing protection when shooting is when hunting.
I went that way, but too often I sit in plywood "houses". I've used the kind liek this:

as I find I can still hear enough going on around me, but don't get the deafness/ringing from the reverberation from .308 in an enclosed area.
Tellico One 65
4in100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
ears: what is the min acceptable dB reduction one should have on their ears? I found a pair of 25dB reduction foam earplugs and am wondering if they'd be satisfactory.

eyes: recommendations? honestly, I should just get new glasses, and probably will in the next month or 2, but in case I don't get to it...
I like my hearing, and have already damaged it enough in my youth.

When I'm at an indoor range, I'll double up. Foam plugs, and then muffs over them.

Outside, it depends on what I am shooting, but I usually go with the muffs. My understanding is that muffs are still far better than plugs of the same rating (even if they are inconvenient and uncomfortable), because there is a certain amount of noise/concussion that is transmitted directly through area around the ear that muffs cover. This may or may not be correct, it's what I've been taught, and I prefer to err on the side of caution with my hearing.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 5776
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753162

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620899

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738895

Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Is that a suggestion to search previous posts?
Blasphemy and morally wrong! It goes completely against the immediate gratification moral imperative...

D.

Last edited by DavidVanVorous; 02-09-2009 at 11:19 AM.
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 46937

29 dB is the highest I've ever seen on muffs. Northern Tool has the best selection I've ever seen as far as chain stores go.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/29thheprnewh.html

EDIT: 25 dB is sufficient to prevent hearing damage. For certain applications, plugs and muffs might provide traditional comfort. If I am starting somebody out shooting centerfire pistols or rifles, I usually double them up on plugs and muffs. Also nice for indoor ranges.

For hunting I keep a pair of these around my neck. You can drop them in quick and they're not bulky.

________
Leather Webcam

Last edited by atblis; 08-12-2011 at 02:16 AM.
atblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4in100 View Post
I went that way, but too often I sit in plywood "houses". I've used the kind liek this:

as I find I can still hear enough going on around me, but don't get the deafness/ringing from the reverberation from .308 in an enclosed area.
I dont blind hunt and treed areas like I hunt tend to deaden sound is my feeble excuse-justification for not wearing ear protection while hunting...

Ive though about doing the electronic for hunting but was looking at the enhancement of woodland sounds not from shooting proper.

D.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 27344
my ears are ringing right now.i alway, well almost always wear plugs and muffs.what was that you said!
the stinky truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 5776
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
Is that a suggestion to search previous posts?
No. I just didn't feel like retyping reviews, and linking to all the shit I use, all over again.
Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote