best bang for the buck flashlight - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 79207
best bang for the buck flashlight

I have a hard time spending big bucks for flashlight. I want to pick up 2 flashlights one for my hunting bag other for around the house. I want to get the most light, out of a small light, with decent battery life without spending a ton. This train of thought has me thinking maybe a Surefire G2 with a solarforce cree bulb. Along the same line I could just get a whole solarforce for cheaper then that but what is the quality like on the L2 models.
otherloginbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 29385
For around the house, I'm sure others will chime in as to what the best flashlight in the world is. For a hunting bag, I picked up a streamlight twintask two seasons ago, and it is by far my favorite hunting bag light. It has a bright white light for the rare times when you need lots of light, and a green tinted LED light for when you need a subdued light. The LED makes the batteries last quite a bit longer and the green tint is supposed to be less visible to animals. I usually hike to my stands an hour before sunrise and the green LED lets you see supprisingly well.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherloginbroke View Post
I have a hard time spending big bucks for flashlight. I want to pick up 2 flashlights one for my hunting bag other for around the house. I want to get the most light, out of a small light, with decent battery life without spending a ton. This train of thought has me thinking maybe a Surefire G2 with a solarforce cree bulb. Along the same line I could just get a whole solarforce for cheaper then that but what is the quality like on the L2 models.
For the same price as a Surefire g2 LED, you can get a Fenix tx-11 that is twice as bright or more.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 79207
I have small LED colored lights for making it to my stand, but early bow season = hunting until dark and sometimes searching for deer in the dark.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
For the same price as a Surefire g2 LED, you can get a Fenix tx-11 that is twice as bright or more.
I've got a fenix T-1 (earlier version of tk11) and I don't really use any of my other lights anymore. At least look into it, they are solid lights.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 49169
Cheap and surefire?

I use one of the Streamlight Stinger LEDs at work.

Almost too bright. 3 brightness adjustments on the switch and this sillyass flash setting. 2 batterys, wall charger. Batteries last about 4 hours each.

Last edited by Rat~Man; 03-31-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Rat~Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 29385
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherloginbroke View Post
I have small LED colored lights for making it to my stand, but early bow season = hunting until dark and sometimes searching for deer in the dark.
That's what's cool about the twintask. Both features are built into one light.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 79207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat~Man View Post
Cheap and surefire?

I use one of the Streamlight Stinger LEDs at work.

Almost too bright. 3 brightness adjustments on the switch and this sillyass flash setting. 2 batterys, wall charger. Batteries last about 4 hours each.
yeah the G2 runs 30 something (plastic body which I have no issue with) and add the cree for 16
Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
POIT!

Member # 79539
I have about 20 (in all honesty) of those 2 for $5 led lights at Advance Auto Parts

They're great for truck lights, pocket lights, in-a-drawer light. Everytime I go into Advance, I buy two.

Yes, I LOVE flashlights. I have the Streamlights, Surefires, Pelicans, etc., but with these stoopid little things I can afford to buy one for every single possible place that I'd want or need a flashlight and not be afraid of it getting lost/stolen/broken.

Now, in a "real life" scenario where the light means life or death, I wouldn't rely on these, but seriously, what the fawk is it really getting used for?!

The only thing I use a lights for in "real life" is firefighting, and even some of those are "cheap" because even the best light is getting melted in a given situation. For "not detrimental to flashlight" conditions, I use a Streamlight because that's what our department uses.
In Third World countries, people think evil spirits live in rocks and trees. We make fun of those people. In this country, certain people think evil spirits live in guns or magazines. We call them anti-gun activists. A more rational thinker sees very little difference in these two views.
LiLBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Spruce Moose

Member # 111524
i picked one of these up for nothing off my roomate who is an ex-cop and MP. i really like it and the price is right. just as bright as my surefire, atleast its tought to tell the difference

Dorcy Metal Flashlight
Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wickedly Uncool

Member # 4135
Go to http://dealextreme.com/ and look at their Ultrafire lights. I have several and they kick ass. I liked them so much I bought the LED insert for my Surefire G2. They are cheap and much brighter than my G2. You can find lights up to 700 lumens there.
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
wheelerfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 36128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
Go to http://dealextreme.com/ and look at their Ultrafire lights. I have several and they kick ass.
Specifically which models do you have?

[QUOTE=87manche;10827893]just color it in with a sharpie.
[/QUOTE]
COVEJEEPSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wickedly Uncool

Member # 4135
Quote:
Originally Posted by COVEJEEPSXJ View Post
Specifically which models do you have?
This is the best bang for the buck 501B

I also have a few of these that work well but are not as bright. But they run on AA's not CR123's. 601A
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wickedly Uncool

Member # 4135
This is the insert for the Surefire G2 that I have. It is at least as bright as the upgraded 120 lumen bulb SF sells.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 60950
Best bang for the buck? IMHO, the 2AA Maglite. Bullet proof, parts available at Walmart, batteries available anywhere, no goofy switch to go bad. All for under $10. If you need LED, get the LED Maglite - still under $20.
Red Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7290
I've had good luck w/ "COAST" LED flashlights.

I've got a couple different ones. One that takes 3 AAA batteries, and one that takes a single AA.

the single AA one is SUPER handy...not ultra bright, but prolly as bright as a 2 or 3 cell MagLight...its a 'usable' bright, not tacticool bright.
the 3 AAA one is 'pretty fawking bright'....prolly right up there w/ standard xenon surefire brightness. Too bright for up-close working on stuff, but a good outdoor flashlight.
batteries in both seem to last for fawking ever....like, they're gonna rust in there before they go dead...

and, I like the common-cheap batteries. Sure, they don't have a million year shelf life, but for everyday use, its nice to be able to get them cheap/everywhere.

:edit: I think this is the little one I have: little guy
and the bigger one
--B

Last edited by Berne; 03-31-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Berne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 35318
I like my Pelican M6 LED, 40 hours battery life. This is the one I use for hunting. I also have a Streamlight Poly Stinger rechargeable that gets a ton of use around the house.
muddawg95yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 80841
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLBucket View Post
I have about 20 (in all honesty) of those 2 for $5 led lights at Advance Auto Parts

They're great for truck lights, pocket lights, in-a-drawer light. Everytime I go into Advance, I buy two.

Yes, I LOVE flashlights. I have the Streamlights, Surefires, Pelicans, etc., but with these stoopid little things I can afford to buy one for every single possible place that I'd want or need a flashlight and not be afraid of it getting lost/stolen/broken.

Now, in a "real life" scenario where the light means life or death, I wouldn't rely on these, but seriously, what the fawk is it really getting used for?!

The only thing I use a lights for in "real life" is firefighting, and even some of those are "cheap" because even the best light is getting melted in a given situation. For "not detrimental to flashlight" conditions, I use a Streamlight because that's what our department uses.
I'm glad somebody has had some luck with them. My boss thought it would be a good idea to get some of these for our at-the-track tool boxes cause he was a cheap bastard. I never had one that worked right. I ended up throwing them all away and using my Surefire 6P.

I don't like my 6P for everyday use just because of the cost of batteries. I like the AA led maglights. I had a regular AA maglight and tried the led conversion for $15 and never did get it to work.

Luke
665.0coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
$25 home depot LED, 2 d batterys
these things are bright!
insane it's like an $80 small light, or better

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
-Awesome web development for your business. www.mudnworks.com mud@mudnworks.com
Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 107883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berne View Post
I've had good luck w/ "COAST" LED flashlights.

I've got a couple different ones. One that takes 3 AAA batteries, and one that takes a single AA.

the single AA one is SUPER handy...not ultra bright, but prolly as bright as a 2 or 3 cell MagLight...its a 'usable' bright, not tacticool bright.
the 3 AAA one is 'pretty fawking bright'....prolly right up there w/ standard xenon surefire brightness. Too bright for up-close working on stuff, but a good outdoor flashlight.
batteries in both seem to last for fawking ever....like, they're gonna rust in there before they go dead...

and, I like the common-cheap batteries. Sure, they don't have a million year shelf life, but for everyday use, its nice to be able to get them cheap/everywhere.

:edit: I think this is the little one I have: little guy
and the bigger one
--B
This^^^ i have three
Old 03-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 7968
Fenix

I have a TK10 (precursor to TK11) and a small P5D. Great lights, nice battery life and Brightness that an old school 2D Mag can't match.

If you want a Mag style light- check out the Cabelas brand with 2 LEDs (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...t=search_redir It is nice.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 95772
Solarforce with the R2 CREE LED is an exact knockoff of the Surefire...It's an awesome flashlight with all accessories being interchangeable.

http://www.solarforce.hk/PRD/main.jsp

Last edited by Jeff.; 04-01-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Jeff. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 132815
Have you looked at the $20 Coleman's that WalMart carries, Cree bulbs, very bright and have been pretty damn durable. Worth a look.
Unrepentant Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 122932
Send a message via Yahoo to intenseimages
I will toss in another vote for the 3 AA LED MagLite. $25 at wallyworld comes with belt sheath. I use it on a fairly regular basis and end up replacing batteries about every 3 months. I use the Energizer ultimate lithium batteries in it.
intenseimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 36128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrepentant Sinner View Post
Have you looked at the $20 Coleman's that WalMart carries, Cree bulbs, very bright and have been pretty damn durable. Worth a look.
Not sure if this is the same light as the ones at Walmart but I think it is. The descriptions sounds the same, but the auction doesn't say anything about Cree bulbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLEMAN-MAX-CR2-...QQcmdZViewItem

I just bought one.... I will report back once I receive it.

[QUOTE=87manche;10827893]just color it in with a sharpie.
[/QUOTE]
COVEJEEPSXJ is offline   Reply With Quote