Was given an old shotgun of my grandfathers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 85481
Was given an old shotgun of my grandfathers

And it's in bad shape, but I'd like to bring it back to life. It's a Springfield 67f 12 Gauge. I know these aren't worth much, but I'd still like to get it back in shape if at all possible.

There's major surface rust on the barrel and receiver. The action and inside the barrel look good, just looks like it's been sitting for a long time without being oiled (and it probably has since my grandfather was pretty much mentally AWOL for a long time).

The stock and forend (forearm, whatever the "technical" term is for the pump) aren't in too bad of shape, but I'd like to get a nicer one put on. However, I can't find replacement stocks other than the factory stock for this shotgun. I'm looking for a nice laminated stock.

Right now the plan is to get as much rust off the metal as I can and duracoat it or maybe parkerize it. I would reblue it, but I think the rust might be a bit deep to get a good bleuing.

So, how do I go about getting the rust off of the metal, and what's a good source for stocks for these guns?

Any other tips and tricks to bringing an old gun back to life?

It does still shoot...
jmcbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13467
sandblast it