Thanks a lot silverzuk................ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 116277
Send a message via AIM to purecountry Send a message via Yahoo to purecountry
Thanks a lot silverzuk................

Every since I saw that rig you had, I've been wanting one bad. I've always had a huge intrest in old west shooting, but finally the wife agreed, and were getting each other our Christmas/anniversary gifts early this year. We're spending about $1500 on each other. So shes getting a big diamond ring, and I'm gonna get two of these.....
http://www.impactguns.com/store/037084341514.html

And a rig like this to carry them in...........
http://www.hastingsholsters.com/cowb...on/the-diablo/

There will be one gun tied low on the right hip, and the other one at a 20 deg. cross draw angle on the left side, slanted across my abs. And yes I will be using my open carry privilege in Tenn. and carry them around with me. Just for the hell of it.And thanks to silverzuk, without him posting his rig I wouldn't have known about Jim Hastings holsters or had this set up and CAS in general on my mind all the time.

[QUOTE=SilverZuk;10606373]My wife doesn't go out, but if she did I would piss on her and kick dirt all over her before she left.
[/QUOTE]
purecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
I just saw this.
You are welcome to this phase of the addiction.

I like Uberti's, but have never handled one of those.
I have an 1860 Cap and ball Uberti.

As far as cross draw, some like them and some don't.
Dad has shot cross draw for years, but I don't like it because you have to "do the dance" when pulling from the holster. That means you have to turn your body so when you pull the pistol that the muzzle doesn't break the 170-degree rule. Meaning that you aren't allowed to point a gun anywhere but down range.

Mine is a gun fighter style. Low slung, handles turned out, and fast. They are not comfortable to walk, or run, while wearing.

My category requires me to shoot my pistols with one hand. So I pull with my left and transfer to my right. In some cases I will shoot the right pistol right handed, and the left pistol left handed (righty right, lefty left). I am slower and not as accurate, but sometimes I want to be doing something with the other hand while I am shooting.

You should check into SASS, and specifically SASS wire forums. There is lots of useless info on there. Like PBB, there are a lot of self proclaimed experts on there
I am not sure if there are any clubs in Okinawa.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5776
DISCLAIMER: I have never shot Cowboy Action

If it's anything like most of the other matches, which I do actually participate in, the best thing you can do is to go attend a match or two before spending a dime.

If you have some cheap gear and a SA wheelgun that will work, bring them and shoot several matches. If you don't, and you show up and it's clear that you're *REALLY* interested, someone will probably let you shoot a few stages with their rig. Try out a couple of people's if they offer. Offer to pay for the ammo, and mean it. But they'll probably beg off accepting a dime from you in return.

I see *SO* many shooters that build their gun, pick their sights, get the trigger work done, buy the holster and mag carrier... All based completely on stuff they read on the internet. They show up for their first match, and it's all the wrong stuff. And they have to buy everything all over again once they shoot several matches, and figure out what works.

Either that, or they show up with a high-dollar Limited gun, and find that they absolutely love Open or Revolver the first time they actually compete.

Shoot a bunch of matches with whatever you currently own. By the time you cannot stand the equipment limitation for one more week, you will know EXACTLY what you want to buy.
Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]

Last edited by TNToy; 07-10-2009 at 01:31 PM.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38055
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNToy View Post
DISCLAIMER: I have never shot Cowboy Action

If it's anything like most of the other matches, which I do actually participate in, the best thing you can do is to go attend a match or two before spending a dime.

If you have some cheap gear and a SA wheelgun that will work, bring them and shoot several matches. If you don't, and you show up and it's clear that you're *REALLY* interested, someone will probably let you shoot a few stages with their rig. Try out a couple of people's if they offer. Offer to pay for the ammo, and mean it. But they'll probably beg off accepting a dime from you in return.

I see *SO* many shooters that build their gun, pick their sights, get the trigger work done, buy the holster and mag carrier... All based completely on stuff they read on the internet. They show up for their first match, and it's all the wrong stuff. And they have to buy everything all over again once they shoot several matches, and figure out what works.

Either that, or they show up with a high-dollar Limited gun, and find that they absolutely love Open or Revolver the first time they actually compete.

Shoot a bunch of matches with whatever you currently own. By the time you cannot stand the equipment limitation for one more week, you will know EXACTLY what you want to buy.
That's good advice. Other than an occasional egg shoot, I don't think I have ever competed with guns. I am doing a sporting clays shoot next month though...
Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 116277
Send a message via AIM to purecountry Send a message via Yahoo to purecountry
On the subject of guns, I will try and go shoot some CAS while I'm home, but these guns and rig are being bought more for recreation and around home carry then for competition. I have been thinking though, should I get two Army outlaws with the 7.5" barrel or one Army outlaw for the right hip, and a 5.5" Barreled Remington frontier for the crossdraw? The frontiers are no longer made, so it would have to come off gunbroker, but it would be about the same price.

[QUOTE=SilverZuk;10606373]My wife doesn't go out, but if she did I would piss on her and kick dirt all over her before she left.
[/QUOTE]
purecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
I like a long barrel, but I also enjoy recreational shooting outside of CAS.
I spent friday evening shooting "horse weeds" into at various distances.

Guys that are into pure speed, go for short barrels. I like the longer sight radius when actually having to aim.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote