Rain gear/camo recommendations - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 51267
Send a message via AIM to 4in100
Rain gear/camo recommendations

Looking at getting some hunting camo/gear for my grandfather's birthday. Looking at cold-ish weather (upper 20s to low 50s max) gear that does well in the rain. This will be used in SE USA (Southern Alabama). cold weather usually isn't that bad.

I was looking at the Redhead (BassPro's line) in the BoneDry series. Is this retagged GoreTex or something different. Wanting something that keeps you dry in more than just a light rain. Prefer something that won't require retreating after a season. This is the parka: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...002000_475-2-0

Not looking for uber cold weather/duck hunting cold. Just something that has insulation and has waterproofing. Other suggestions oh PBB?
Tellico One 65
4in100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
POIT!

Member # 79539
i don't know about all that other stuff, but...

My best friend just got some Gore-tex (sp?) in digicamo from his Marine BIL and it's NICE! I'm not sure how it'll hold up to all the elements, but it seems solid. Very well made, has sealed zippers for vents in teh armpits and I think all the pockets are sealed too.

His BIL swears by the stuff! I'm on mission to score some now...It's not insulated, but apparently it's the best over layer of everything. I prefer to layer as opposed to one "do all" garmet.

Might be an option for you, I dunno...
In Third World countries, people think evil spirits live in rocks and trees. We make fun of those people. In this country, certain people think evil spirits live in guns or magazines. We call them anti-gun activists. A more rational thinker sees very little difference in these two views.
LiLBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 64457
Send a message via Yahoo to crownhilldigger
You are aware that you are looking at the COLD weather gear parka? My BIL uses that parka over his waders to duck hunt and he would never wear it above 35 degrees as it is too heavy (warm). There are several better, lighter weight pcs. that you could look at. All of the Drake gear is good and I have had better luck (long term) w/items from Cabela's than I have w/Red Head.

Mack's Prarie Wings in Stuttgart, ARK. has a variety of waterfowl hunting goods that may give you some insight. There are several 4-in-1 type pcs that would give Grandpa options during the day and during the season.

Good Luck.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 51267
Send a message via AIM to 4in100
He's old, so more warmth is good. I haven't had the time to go inspect first hand the items yet, but soon. Layering is difficult when you leave the house to go sit then come back. It's just more to put on and take off, but is possible option.

The idea is to put on gear and not have to worry about is it going to rain, or how hard it's raining. And there is minimal walking/hiking, so there isn't time to build up even a sweat.
Tellico One 65

Last edited by 4in100; 09-30-2009 at 07:47 AM.
4in100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ramble On

Member # 9545
I picked up the Red Head Bone Dry interchangeable outer shell a few weeks ago. It rained for most of last weekend and I wore it while out riding atv and grouse hunting. Now it wasn't monsoon like rain but pretty steady and the jacket kept my upper body, well, "bone dry".

A little pricey tho'.

The zippered vents are a nice touch and there is enough pockets to keep things dry in.

The camo pattern on mine is real tree but I seen a few others.

I'll see how it stands up as the hunting season progresses but thus far I have had no issues.

...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Help rescue a Springer http://www.srecc.org/page1.php
Shawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
My suggestion is to not mess with Camo...
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote