Kershaw Knife fans--Good deal on a Storm II - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
Kershaw Knife fans--Good deal on a Storm II

Kershaw Storm II

Normally $44.99, on sale for $19.99. I was looking at one of these when I bought my Benchmade 550 Griptillian. Great knife and a great deal. I already got mine on order.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Bought 2, thanks. Also a Gerber.

Some great deals right now.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10808
Sweet deal...I picked up two as well
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
I was at work when I found the deal, and decided just on principle I should pick it up. Even if it spends most of it's life in a glove box I'll find a use for it. Glad others are taking advantage too.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12097
Send a message via AIM to H2O-hs
Got one too! Thanks..
H2O-hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Got my knives today. It's larger than I thought it would be. Still like 'em, but more of a pack knife then a pocket knife. I dig the Gerber I got, but I am sad it's made in Taiwan.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Got my knives today. It's larger than I thought it would be. Still like 'em, but more of a pack knife then a pocket knife. I dig the Gerber I got, but I am sad it's made in Taiwan.
Cool, I wasn't sure of the size, I thought it was on scale with the Kershaw Blur. Are the Kershaw made in Taiwan or just the Gerber? I have a Kershaw made in Japan, but it still high quality steel. Gerber was bought by Fiskars and then they purchased Brunton. Much of their stuff bearing the Gerber name is made in China and Taiwan now. It's very disappointing to see, as they were and still are an Oregon based company. They still do manufacturing here, but just because it says Gerber it DOES NOT mean American made like it use too.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
Cool, I wasn't sure of the size, I thought it was on scale with the Kershaw Blur. Are the Kershaw made in Taiwan or just the Gerber? I have a Kershaw made in Japan, but it still high quality steel. Gerber was bought by Fiskars and then they purchased Brunton. Much of their stuff bearing the Gerber name is made in China and Taiwan now. It's very disappointing to see, as they were and still are an Oregon based company. They still do manufacturing here, but just because it says Gerber it DOES NOT mean American made like it use too.
The Gerber's were made in taiwan.

Kershaw in USA.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106178
If anyone is on the fence about getting this knife- DO IT. Kershaw knives are nice, and their customer service is awesome, you know just in case you break the tip off or something.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 87119
Send a message via AIM to Captainp4u1
For anyone who has purchased this knife, does it have a clip on the side of it to slide over my belt or back pocket so it's more easily accessible? I recently lost this https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...urpose/Utility and am looking for something to replace it.
Captainp4u1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainp4u1 View Post
For anyone who has purchased this knife, does it have a clip on the side of it to slide over my belt or back pocket so it's more easily accessible? I recently lost this https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...urpose/Utility and am looking for something to replace it.
Yes.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 87119
Send a message via AIM to Captainp4u1
Cool, thanks.

Would you recommend the knife? So many choices out there, I'm not real sure what to go with.
Captainp4u1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainp4u1 View Post
Cool, thanks.

Would you recommend the knife? So many choices out there, I'm not real sure what to go with.
For the money, it's a great knife, made here in the States. It's a bit large for me, to carry everyday.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
For the money, it's a great knife, made here in the States. It's a bit large for me, to carry everyday.
I was a bit surprised at the size and weight of this knife, but I carried it for a day and really didn't notice it more then I would my usual Benchmade (Griptilion 550). It is longer and heavier then the BM, but about half as thick.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 4228
Send a message via AIM to AGGIECJ-7
does the Storm II have the assisted opening like the Blur?
02 Ram 2500 - Cummins, 4x4, 6spd

Last edited by AGGIECJ-7; 02-16-2010 at 08:24 PM.
AGGIECJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 120739
I got one, thanks for the heads-up
Invert'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGIECJ-7 View Post
Nope, I think it's basically a Blur without the assisted opening.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 70402
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGIECJ-7 View Post
I'm pretty sure no. I have the kershaw that looks like this Storm II, but mine has the assisted opening and its all black. My manager where I used to work gave it to me, personally I hate the fucking thing. I would never have paid money for it

Just to be clear though, its one hell of a knife. Its very tough, i've had no problems from it and damn near try to break it ever chance I get. I popped the tip off, then grinded it flat like a screw driver I have had it for at least 4 years and the spring for the assist opening and the lock still work flawlessly. The tip breaking off was 100% me not giving a fuck and of no fault of the knife's.

What I do not like about it: the half straight/half serrated edge and the goofy shaped curvy blade. I sharpen my own knives normally, and this knife is such a pain in the ass to sharpen its not even funny. I've all but flattened off the tooth closest to the straight edge from trying to sharpen it. I use the shit out of this knife, since its my work knife. It gets dull a lot, so I sharpen it a lot, and its not a fun task. Between the shape of the blade and the serrated half it just sucks to sharpen The way the blade is designed, whatever you are cutting gets pushed into the serrated area of the blade. I don't know if this is intentional or not, and maybe its advantageous in some circumstances, but not for me. It will cut great until whatever you are cutting gets pushed to the serrated part and either gets torn to fuck, or just stops cutting.

Maybe i'm just fucking retarded and don't know how to use or sharpen a knife (highly likely), but I hate this damn thing

Heres a few pictures of mine

Chris
nooblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 70402
Ok, apparently I lied... I ground all the fucking teeth of my knife
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 19615
Send a message via AIM to afroman006
Work knife? You work in a fawking restaurant. Wtf do you cut with it, lettuce?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
yeah, that is a Blur. Honestly if you sent it back to the, I bet they would warranty it. Maybe you could find someone who wants one and will give you cash for the new one? Just a thought. Hell, I'd give ya 20 bucks for it!

Last edited by Diesel Smoke; 02-17-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Diesel Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
POIT!

Member # 79539
Kershaw are good people!!! I called about a new pocket clip and screws for mine and I think a spring, and got just about everything to rebuild it! Actually talked to a person and all they wanted was my address! No questions asked.

Of course, this is a big R as I believe Kershaw has been discussed to death here, but just my $.02

Noob, for hating that knife, you sure use the heck out of it!!! I don't like the blade profile on my Leek, but I've gotten used to it and it's not let me down yet

I think I might send mine in just to get revamped. It's tired. Nothing wrong with it, but why not take advantage of the lifetime warranty?!?!
In Third World countries, people think evil spirits live in rocks and trees. We make fun of those people. In this country, certain people think evil spirits live in guns or magazines. We call them anti-gun activists. A more rational thinker sees very little difference in these two views.

Last edited by LiLBucket; 02-17-2010 at 08:29 AM.
LiLBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 70402
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroman006 View Post
Work knife? You work in a fawking restaurant. Wtf do you cut with it, lettuce?
No, I use the Henkels for that. I use this mostly to cut various types of packaging since I have to unload the truck by myself all the fucking time You'd be surprised how much work this poor little knife goes through in a given work week

Chris
Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 70402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
yeah, that is a Blur. Honestly if you sent it back to the, I bet they would warranty it. Maybe you could find someone who wants one and will give you cash for the new one? Just a thought. Hell, I'd give ya 20 bucks for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLBucket View Post
Kershaw are good people!!! I called about a new pocket clip and screws for mine and I think a spring, and got just about everything to rebuild it! Actually talked to a person and all they wanted was my address! No questions asked.

Of course, this is a big R as I believe Kershaw has been discussed to death here, but just my $.02

Noob, for hating that knife, you sure use the heck out of it!!! I don't like the blade profile on my Leek, but I've gotten used to it and it's not let me down yet

I think I might send mine in just to get revamped. It's tired. Nothing wrong with it, but why not take advantage of the lifetime warranty?!?!
I wasn't even aware this had a lifetime warranty... This knife is never at the forefront of my mind, I didn't even know what kind it was until I looked at this post and thought, "hey, this looks kinda like my knife"

Like i said, it was given to me by a past manager when I worked at Academy, I know very little about it, except that he said it was an expensive ass knife and not to lose it. Thats the only reason I still have it!

Chris
Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
POIT!

Member # 79539
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooblet View Post
I wasn't even aware this had a lifetime warranty... This knife is never at the forefront of my mind, I didn't even know what kind it was until I looked at this post and thought, "hey, this looks kinda like my knife"

Like i said, it was given to me by a past manager when I worked at Academy, I know very little about it, except that he said it was an expensive ass knife and not to lose it. Thats the only reason I still have it!

Chris
Ya, check out their website or give them a call about it. They'll re-furb it if it needs it, if not they'll at least give it a factory sharpen (SHHAARRPP). Only cost is shipping to them (~$4 or so)
In Third World countries, people think evil spirits live in rocks and trees. We make fun of those people. In this country, certain people think evil spirits live in guns or magazines. We call them anti-gun activists. A more rational thinker sees very little difference in these two views.
LiLBucket is offline   Reply With Quote