Kershaw Knife fans--Good deal on a Storm II - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
"Official"
 
Diesel Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member # 27575
Location: Oregon, Our voters are that Dumb
Posts: 3,641
Kershaw Knife fans--Good deal on a Storm II

Kershaw Storm II



Normally $44.99, on sale for $19.99. I was looking at one of these when I bought my Benchmade 550 Griptillian. Great knife and a great deal. I already got mine on order.
__________________
Wheeling?!?!? WTF is that?
Diesel Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 24,638
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Bought 2, thanks. Also a Gerber.

Some great deals right now.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member # 10808
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,188
Sweet deal...I picked up two as well
__________________
Blah blah blah
1RUSTYRIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
"Official"
 
Diesel Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member # 27575
Location: Oregon, Our voters are that Dumb
Posts: 3,641
I was at work when I found the deal, and decided just on principle I should pick it up. Even if it spends most of it's life in a glove box I'll find a use for it. Glad others are taking advantage too.
__________________
Wheeling?!?!? WTF is that?
Diesel Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member # 12097
Location: MA
Posts: 116
Send a message via AIM to H2O-hs
Got one too! Thanks..
H2O-hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 24,638
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Got my knives today. It's larger than I thought it would be. Still like 'em, but more of a pack knife then a pocket knife. I dig the Gerber I got, but I am sad it's made in Taiwan.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
"Official"
 
Diesel Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member # 27575
Location: Oregon, Our voters are that Dumb
Posts: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Got my knives today. It's larger than I thought it would be. Still like 'em, but more of a pack knife then a pocket knife. I dig the Gerber I got, but I am sad it's made in Taiwan.
Cool, I wasn't sure of the size, I thought it was on scale with the Kershaw Blur. Are the Kershaw made in Taiwan or just the Gerber? I have a Kershaw made in Japan, but it still high quality steel. Gerber was bought by Fiskars and then they purchased Brunton. Much of their stuff bearing the Gerber name is made in China and Taiwan now. It's very disappointing to see, as they were and still are an Oregon based company. They still do manufacturing here, but just because it says Gerber it DOES NOT mean American made like it use too.
__________________
Wheeling?!?!? WTF is that?
Diesel Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 24,638
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
Cool, I wasn't sure of the size, I thought it was on scale with the Kershaw Blur. Are the Kershaw made in Taiwan or just the Gerber? I have a Kershaw made in Japan, but it still high quality steel. Gerber was bought by Fiskars and then they purchased Brunton. Much of their stuff bearing the Gerber name is made in China and Taiwan now. It's very disappointing to see, as they were and still are an Oregon based company. They still do manufacturing here, but just because it says Gerber it DOES NOT mean American made like it use too.
The Gerber's were made in taiwan.

Kershaw in USA.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
takotruckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Member # 106178
Location: Fresno Ca
Posts: 792
If anyone is on the fence about getting this knife- DO IT. Kershaw knives are nice, and their customer service is awesome, you know just in case you break the tip off or something.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87119
Location: maryland
Posts: 44
Send a message via AIM to Captainp4u1
For anyone who has purchased this knife, does it have a clip on the side of it to slide over my belt or back pocket so it's more easily accessible? I recently lost this https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...urpose/Utility and am looking for something to replace it.
Captainp4u1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 24,638
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainp4u1 View Post
For anyone who has purchased this knife, does it have a clip on the side of it to slide over my belt or back pocket so it's more easily accessible? I recently lost this https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...urpose/Utility and am looking for something to replace it.
Yes.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87119
Location: maryland
Posts: 44
Send a message via AIM to Captainp4u1
Cool, thanks.

Would you recommend the knife? So many choices out there, I'm not real sure what to go with.
Captainp4u1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 24,638
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainp4u1 View Post
Cool, thanks.

Would you recommend the knife? So many choices out there, I'm not real sure what to go with.
For the money, it's a great knife, made here in the States. It's a bit large for me, to carry everyday.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
"Official"
 
Diesel Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member # 27575
Location: Oregon, Our voters are that Dumb
Posts: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
For the money, it's a great knife, made here in the States. It's a bit large for me, to carry everyday.
I was a bit surprised at the size and weight of this knife, but I carried it for a day and really didn't notice it more then I would my usual Benchmade (Griptilion 550). It is longer and heavier then the BM, but about half as thick.
__________________
Wheeling?!?!? WTF is that?
Diesel Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4228
Location: Newark, Tx
Posts: 888
Send a message via AIM to AGGIECJ-7
does the Storm II have the assisted opening like the Blur?
__________________
Steven W
My Website
82 CJ-7 - SOA, geared, locked, 35's
02 Ram 2500 - Cummins, 4x4, 6spd

Last edited by AGGIECJ-7; 02-16-2010 at 08:24 PM.
AGGIECJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Member # 120739
Posts: 208
I got one, thanks for the heads-up
Invert'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
"Official"
 
Diesel Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member # 27575
Location: Oregon, Our voters are that Dumb
Posts: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGIECJ-7 View Post
does the Storm II have the assisted opening like the Blur?
Nope, I think it's basically a Blur without the assisted opening.
__________________
Wheeling?!?!? WTF is that?
Diesel Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 70402
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGIECJ-7 View Post
does the Storm II have the assisted opening like the Blur?
I'm pretty sure no. I have the kershaw that looks like this Storm II, but mine has the assisted opening and its all black. My manager where I used to work gave it to me, personally I hate the fucking thing. I would never have paid money for it

Just to be clear though, its one hell of a knife. Its very tough, i've had no problems from it and damn near try to break it ever chance I get. I popped the tip off, then grinded it flat like a screw driver I have had it for at least 4 years and the spring for the assist opening and the lock still work flawlessly. The tip breaking off was 100% me not giving a fuck and of no fault of the knife's.

What I do not like about it: the half straight/half serrated edge and the goofy shaped curvy blade. I sharpen my own knives normally, and this knife is such a pain in the ass to sharpen its not even funny. I've all but flattened off the tooth closest to the straight edge from trying to sharpen it. I use the shit out of this knife, since its my work knife. It gets dull a lot, so I sharpen it a lot, and its not a fun task. Between the shape of the blade and the serrated half it just sucks to sharpen The way the blade is designed, whatever you are cutting gets pushed into the serrated area of the blade. I don't know if this is intentional or not, and maybe its advantageous in some circumstances, but not for me. It will cut great until whatever you are cutting gets pushed to the serrated part and either gets torn to fuck, or just stops cutting.

Maybe i'm just fucking retarded and don't know how to use or sharpen a knife (highly likely), but I hate this damn thing

Heres a few pictures of mine







Chris
nooblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 70402
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,368
Ok, apparently I lied... I ground all the fucking teeth of my knife
nooblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Member # 19615
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,600
Send a message via AIM to afroman006
Work knife? You work in a fawking restaurant. Wtf do you cut with it, lettuce?
__________________
Texas A&M Offroad
84 Chevy -Pigpen- Best trail truck there ever was...
afroman006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
"Official"
 
Diesel Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member # 27575
Location: Oregon, Our voters are that Dumb
Posts: 3,641
yeah, that is a Blur. Honestly if you sent it back to the, I bet they would warranty it. Maybe you could find someone who wants one and will give you cash for the new one? Just a thought. Hell, I'd give ya 20 bucks for it!
__________________
Wheeling?!?!? WTF is that?

Last edited by Diesel Smoke; 02-17-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Diesel Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
POIT!
 
LiLBucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member # 79539
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 4,302
Blog Entries: 1
Kershaw are good people!!! I called about a new pocket clip and screws for mine and I think a spring, and got just about everything to rebuild it! Actually talked to a person and all they wanted was my address! No questions asked.

Of course, this is a big R as I believe Kershaw has been discussed to death here, but just my $.02

Noob, for hating that knife, you sure use the heck out of it!!! I don't like the blade profile on my Leek, but I've gotten used to it and it's not let me down yet

I think I might send mine in just to get revamped. It's tired. Nothing wrong with it, but why not take advantage of the lifetime warranty?!?!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Givens. View Post
In Third World countries, people think evil spirits live in rocks and trees. We make fun of those people. In this country, certain people think evil spirits live in guns or magazines. We call them anti-gun activists. A more rational thinker sees very little difference in these two views.

Last edited by LiLBucket; 02-17-2010 at 08:29 AM.
LiLBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 70402
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroman006 View Post
Work knife? You work in a fawking restaurant. Wtf do you cut with it, lettuce?
No, I use the Henkels for that. I use this mostly to cut various types of packaging since I have to unload the truck by myself all the fucking time You'd be surprised how much work this poor little knife goes through in a given work week

Chris
nooblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 70402
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
yeah, that is a Blur. Honestly if you sent it back to the, I bet they would warranty it. Maybe you could find someone who wants one and will give you cash for the new one? Just a thought. Hell, I'd give ya 20 bucks for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLBucket View Post
Kershaw are good people!!! I called about a new pocket clip and screws for mine and I think a spring, and got just about everything to rebuild it! Actually talked to a person and all they wanted was my address! No questions asked.

Of course, this is a big R as I believe Kershaw has been discussed to death here, but just my $.02

Noob, for hating that knife, you sure use the heck out of it!!! I don't like the blade profile on my Leek, but I've gotten used to it and it's not let me down yet

I think I might send mine in just to get revamped. It's tired. Nothing wrong with it, but why not take advantage of the lifetime warranty?!?!
I wasn't even aware this had a lifetime warranty... This knife is never at the forefront of my mind, I didn't even know what kind it was until I looked at this post and thought, "hey, this looks kinda like my knife"

Like i said, it was given to me by a past manager when I worked at Academy, I know very little about it, except that he said it was an expensive ass knife and not to lose it. Thats the only reason I still have it!

Chris
nooblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
POIT!
 
LiLBucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member # 79539
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 4,302
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooblet View Post
I wasn't even aware this had a lifetime warranty... This knife is never at the forefront of my mind, I didn't even know what kind it was until I looked at this post and thought, "hey, this looks kinda like my knife"

Like i said, it was given to me by a past manager when I worked at Academy, I know very little about it, except that he said it was an expensive ass knife and not to lose it. Thats the only reason I still have it!

Chris
Ya, check out their website or give them a call about it. They'll re-furb it if it needs it, if not they'll at least give it a factory sharpen (SHHAARRPP). Only cost is shipping to them (~$4 or so)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Givens. View Post
In Third World countries, people think evil spirits live in rocks and trees. We make fun of those people. In this country, certain people think evil spirits live in guns or magazines. We call them anti-gun activists. A more rational thinker sees very little difference in these two views.
LiLBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.