subsonic ammunition - observations and questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
subsonic ammunition - observations and questions

I'm going to venture where I really have little business other than being curious and some background in the sciences. Some of this will be obvious to some of you, so humor me.

Kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2

in order to remain subsonic, a bullet must stay below the speed of sound (duh) which for the sake of this discussion, we'll call 1100fps

Plugging 1100fps into the above equation for velocity, we're really only left with the mass of the bullet to play with to change the kinetic energy delivered to the target.

Assuming centerfire rifle ammo.

1. What would make a certain caliber more desirable over another for for subsonic ammunition?

2. Using 300 win mag as an example, you're going to be cutting your muzzle velocity from 2700fps down to the 1100fps. How does one make up for that loss? Upping bullet mass would do a bit, but velocity is squared, making mass a much smaller part of the equation.

3. How effective would a suppressor be on a sonic round? Obviously there would be the sonic crack, but how directional is that sound?

This was all prompted by me watching the vid in this thread. So I guess this last question would be more from a "sniper scenario".
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Mother F'n Goose

Member # 16809
YouTube - 308 supersonic and subsonic suppressed

here is a sound comparison for ya. as far as down range... i am curious as well.
Originally Posted by Sturgell View Post
No but my post upon further review in the context of this thread is GAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitcj View Post
It works for fatties to hotties...okay so there have been a couple more fatties then hotties...I am person for god sakes. Don't judge me
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-jon View Post
Middel fangers
BigGreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 72494
This is pretty quiet too.
YouTube - Silenced AK-47 with subsonic ammo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefCakeScout View Post
I was, but if you won't kiss me after I blow you then i'll find someone else
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=317103
77bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
I'm going to venture where I really have little business other than being curious and some background in the sciences. Some of this will be obvious to some of you, so humor me.

Kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2

in order to remain subsonic, a bullet must stay below the speed of sound (duh) which for the sake of this discussion, we'll call 1100fps

Plugging 1100fps into the above equation for velocity, we're really only left with the mass of the bullet to play with to change the kinetic energy delivered to the target.

Assuming centerfire rifle ammo.

1. What would make a certain caliber more desirable over another for for subsonic ammunition?
The ability to stabalize subsonicly
2. Using 300 win mag as an example, you're going to be cutting your muzzle velocity from 2700fps down to the 1100fps. How does one make up for that loss? Upping bullet mass would do a bit, but velocity is squared, making mass a much smaller part of the equation.
You either do not and suck up the loss or use a heavier round and worry about it being stable.
Actualy you need to worry about it being stable no matter what

3. How effective would a suppressor be on a sonic round? Obviously there would be the sonic crack, but how directional is that sound?
I can fire my AK with my can on and not need hearing protection. It alters the sound to something most people do not think of as a "bang". Downrange your hearing is drawn more to the crack of the bullet and not so much the shooter
This was all prompted by me watching the vid in this thread. So I guess this last question would be more from a "sniper scenario".

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote