Scary light loads... and some full moon ammo pr0n - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 59127
Scary light loads... and some full moon ammo pr0n

7 more days till I pick up my Model of 1950 Target...effen PRK...

I've been told they can be fussy about their fodder so I thought I'd try out something a bit slower than Bullseye for the 230gr LRN and 200gr LSWC cast boolits. In kinda a "it's what they HAD" moment I picked up a pound of Green Dot. Not much in the way of pistol data for it but I'm loading light.

In my research I found some SCARY light loads. We're talkin' like sub 3gr loads. And supposedly they cycle semiautos?

Ah well. Here's the pr0n...A pretty wide range of Bullseye & Green Dot loads under 3 different leaden lumps

:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
Fishslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 19615
Send a message via AIM to afroman006
I use red dot and 200 gr precision black bullets in my sig 220. Shoots prety clean with no leading and recoil is light. I loaded up some green dot to try as well, but the first round was a squib so that ended the day's shootin.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48233
4.8 grains red dot barely/sometimes never cycles 185 grain bullets in my XD45

You could actually see the bullets fly downrange. I'm sure 3 grains of green dot would have almost no felt recoil and you could see the bullet arc downward

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 142668
Be caeful with reduced loads. In handgun cases it's not as bad, but in rifle cases with reduced loads you get a phenomena called detonation, and it can happen in handguns. The powder is lying in the bottom of the case (hotizontally) and the primer flash ignites the whole charge at once, instead of buring progressivly. Pressures go thru the roof and usually destroy the firearm.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6234
Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrWagons4ever View Post
Be caeful with reduced loads. In handgun cases it's not as bad, but in rifle cases with reduced loads you get a phenomena called detonation, and it can happen in handguns. The powder is lying in the bottom of the case (hotizontally) and the primer flash ignites the whole charge at once, instead of buring progressivly. Pressures go thru the roof and usually destroy the firearm.
That depends a lot on the powder, charge weight, cartridge used, and primer, as well. If you use published reduced loads, you're more likely to suffer from inconsistency than you are from detonation due to powder position.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post
4.8 grains red dot barely/sometimes never cycles 185 grain bullets in my XD45

I'm using 200 grain SWC with 4.5-8 grains of RD and the only issue I have had is the SWC feeding once and awhile. Otherwise rock solid with that load in mine, XD 45 compact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.