Instant fisherman infomercial - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40585
Instant fisherman infomercial

Couldn't sleep last night and wound up watching the infomercial for the instant fisherman fold-able pole. Ya, it might be lame or is it good? Has anyone used it or known anyone who has or similar to something like it? I am a novice fisherman and with 3 kids, maybe we go a couple times a year, so really not to concerned about it producing "professional" results.

I have a smaller camp trailer and thought it would be good to have something like it to keep stowed out of the way. Any thoughts or comments?

https://www.instantfisherman.com/ver...efcode=Fisher1
konacaliboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Juggernaut

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Wow. They've redesigned the Ronco Pocket Fisherman! I'd say it would work for your needs.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 87150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
Wow. They've ripped off the Ronco Pocket Fisherman! I'd say it would work for your needs.
Fixed. Ronco is the shit, don't fuck with Ronco

A Pocket Fisherman should work just fine. However, for $40 you could get a cheap Wal Mart 2 or 3 piece pole and a cheap real to go with it. The cheap real should be a hell of a lot better than the safety-real thing on that collapsable pole, and the pole should be better too. For storage, take the real off and you should be able to fit everything in odd random spaces and not take up any significant room.
maxyedor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 60950
If you want to ensure that your kids never take up fishing, get the instant fisherman. If this is something that you hope to make into a family activity for years to come, invest in some decent gear. You can get a decent setup from Walmart, K-mart, Fred Meyer, etc. for about the same price and it will serve you well for years after the instant crap has fallen apart and won't include the frustration.

My own bias is toward spinning rod/reel combos as I think they are easier to master and my experience with most of the low-end spin-cast reels is not very good. Usually cheaply made with line that is way to heavy for most fishing.

Don't do the spongebob, sesame street, dora setups either. They won't stand up to the rigors of actual fishing.
Red Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 40585
Good reply's guys. I like the idea of compact set up's. I'll check to see what wally world has to offer. I dont want to spend a metric ton of money on something that wont get used much. I have a decent casting reel on a trout rod that I've had for years (actually did ocean shore fishing and it did decent for what I caught)

If anyone can think of something else thats simular to compact, post up
Old 05-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Look into pack rods. They are usually 4 pc and designed to be stored in tight places. Pretty sure Shakespear makes a decent affordable pack rod setup.

Last edited by chris demartini; 05-11-2010 at 11:38 AM.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
Look into pack rods. They are usually 4 pc and designed to be stored in tight places. Pretty sure Shakespear makes a decent affordable pack rod setup.
I have a couple of Shimano telescoping rigs in my RV, that stay in my RV. They are not the best but they work ok and I don't have to worry about packing/breaking my good 1 and 2 piece rods. They came with a little box that also holds some tackle, and at 12"x 9" x4" they fit nice in the outside storage box. Make fun of me if you want, but I'm never camping without a pole and some gear
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32841
Send a message via AIM to cybergeek23851
I was in Walmart a week or so ago, and I saw a 2 piece Shakespeare Rod and reel combo for about $15.00 They had a . It's no Shimano setup, but it would most likely work for a beater rod/reel combo.
cybergeek23851 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
CMF

Member # 36775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dwarf View Post
Don't do the spongebob, sesame street, dora setups either. They won't stand up to the rigors of actual fishing.
I disagree. For a small child learning to fish (~2-5), these are ideal. They are easy to learn with, light enough for kids to handle, feature their favorite characters to help get them interested, float when dropped, easy to stow away under a seat and can handle at least a 20lb cat. My oldest have graduated to larger gear but they used these kid setups for years without issue on hundreds of trips and thousands of fish. They rather fish than just about anything else now.
CMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 28963
Send a message via AIM to YJfreak
For $30 bucks at walmart you should be able to get a half way reasonable Ugly Stick combo. Cheaper than that instant fisherman piece of shit. For all intensive purposes you will be buying the ugly stick and getting a free reel. Sounds like it will be more than adequate for anything that you will use it for. If you feel like upgrading down the road then keep the rod and put a better reel on it. Can find either one or two piece rods and you will have a hard time breaking an ugly stick even if you have to store it bent or with something leaning up against it.
YJfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 90874
Send a message via Yahoo to zukitough
ZebcoŽ Micro™ Light Rod and Reel Spinning Combos

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

I keep one of these break down triggerspin combos behind the seat with a tiny tackle box filled with a couple live bait rigs, a small bobber and some small spinners. I got mine at Walmart I think. $20 is average and for the kids it is a good size, easy to cast and you'll always catch small fish easier and more plentiful than big fish. I have brought in a 14" channel cat with mine before with lots of patience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller22207 View Post
I likes my ribs unfermented.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...151&highlight=
zukitough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 40585
This is what I have for myself, have had it for years. http://www.troutlet.com/Crystal-Rive...ombo-P129.aspx

Its just to complicated for the kiddies. I will look into getting my 6yo one of those "barbie" rods and the teen's something simple and compact. I will look at wal-mart and wont spend more than maybe $20 on one.

Next question, what fresh water (lake) baits are your guys favorite? I know its a preference to each,what way the winds blowing, what underwear your wearing so on and so on..... I usually stick with the grub worm, earth worm or nite crawler. Less work, perfect for my lazy style fishing
Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
CMF

Member # 36775
Quote:
Originally Posted by konacaliboy View Post
Next question, what fresh water (lake) baits are your guys favorite? I know its a preference to each,what way the winds blowing, what underwear your wearing so on and so on..... I usually stick with the grub worm, earth worm or nite crawler. Less work, perfect for my lazy style fishing

You'll probably need heavier gear than what you are using but I hear these work well.

CMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMF View Post
I disagree. For a small child learning to fish (~2-5), these are ideal.
My daughter loved catching a fish everytime especially when no one was catching anything. She lit up like it was the first time she saw the thing each and every time!
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 90316
Stainless steel rods work. http://www.emmrod.com/index.cfm?page=products.cfm&cat=4
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 110475
Quote:
Originally Posted by konacaliboy View Post
This is what I have for myself, have had it for years. http://www.troutlet.com/Crystal-Rive...ombo-P129.aspx

Its just to complicated for the kiddies. I will look into getting my 6yo one of those "barbie" rods and the teen's something simple and compact. I will look at wal-mart and wont spend more than maybe $20 on one.

Trout? I think its berkely that makes power eggs or some shit. They are just small egg looking balls of power bait basically. Knocks the trout dead. Good ole night crawler always works too.
Outlaws we will be!
For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 68461
Daiwa makes a nice pack rod kit. I have two of them and they are great, especially if you a braided line on it. I got them for $30-40 from a mail order place and picked one up at a Cabela's.

Some guy gave this thing s one star rating on the site I've linked, but I like them. No, they're not made for huge fish, but I use them for fishing the mountain streams in WV and VA and have pulled in some nice fish with them.

http://www.troutlet.com/Daiwa-Minisp...ombo-P130.aspx
2DaMtns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.