Knife neck sheath/holster - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Knife neck sheath/holster

Related to the Pathfinder video thread. See a lot of these guys with the neck sheath.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=917958
Seems very uncomfortable to me.
Is these a concealment thing or convenience?

Want to know how I lost 35lbs? Try INSANITY®.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT

Last edited by aloharover; 09-18-2010 at 09:51 AM.
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6524
Didn't read the pathfinder video thread - and I only have one neck knife.. but I can definitely say it's not convenient. I have a little CRKT Minimalist.. and it's not uncomfortable at all, you actually forget you are wearing it. But shoving your hand up under your shirt to yank it out is far from quick or easy.
Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 60950
I think it would be handy to have something like that as a backup for survival, but as a primary weapon - don't think so. The rafters use a knife that has a plastic sheath that clips on their life vest. They can deploy them pretty fast but they are definitely not concealed.
Red Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Yeah, I definately don't see it as a self defence.
The thread I made, was in response to me watching Dual Survivalist. Both of them where neck knifes. And then the instructors in Dave's videos have all had them now.

I guess my question in addition to the comfort thing is "is this a better way to carry then a folder in the pocket or long knife on the belt?"

Regarding comfort, yes I wore dog tags, 550 never beads, and I never noticed those. Deployed I had one of those neck wallet type things. Again basic 550 with a nylon pouch, clear face for your ID, a little cash, and that was pretty much it. Always bugged me, unless I had the cord outside my color.

Want to know how I lost 35lbs? Try INSANITY®.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6524
My CRKT is so damn small that I don't even notice it. And it's hardly comparable to any decent belt or even pocket carry from a utility standpoint. It IS a knife.. and it'll cut shit.. and do basic utility functions.. but it's usefullness is extremely limited for any heavy duty use.

I'm guessing that someone picked one up, and they all thought it was a fantastic idea and it's just some fad with that group of instructors? I'd MUCH rather have my RAT5 any day of the week over this silly neck thing. I only wear the CRKT when wearing another knife isn't an option.

Edit: Watched your video - his knife is much more substantial. I don't think I would enjoy carrying something that big around my neck. The one thing I can see it giving you is much more ease of use from a sitting position... belt knives and pockets can be a bitch to yank out when sitting on your ass. Other than that, F that big ass neck knife.

Last edited by Vermin; 09-18-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
In memory of Kayla

Member # 38890
I have one. I use it on occasions, particularly when hunting.
It fits my hand well, and stays sharp. I've skinned several deer with it.
As for everyday carry, no, I have a pocket knife and a folding knife on the belt.
Seems to be a big item with traditional archery, as this is where I picked up on it, and bought it.
God Bless,
David B.
Attached Images

Last edited by BOFF; 09-18-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added more info
BOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 29037
I've carried one there for years which why I wear button or snap close shirts.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 68844
the neck knife is designed to be worn in addition to your other gear or alone. it is basically a last line of offense/defense, and better than not having any knife at all. The trick to quick deployment is a piece of para cord tied to the butt of the knife that hangs down just above/below your belly button, under your shirt. Then you just give the cord a quick tug, the knife slides right down into your hand and is ready to deploy. You might think just because the blade is only 2" long that its not worth anything, but realize you can sever Achilles tendon, jugular, carotid, femoral, brachial, etc, and you don't need that much knife to gut or skin anything, even deer. You would be shocked at what all you can do with a knife that size when it's all you have. The best one I've seen had a sharpening stone built into the sheath.
[COLOR="Blue"][QUOTE=Texas97;13281566]dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
redpitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 24650
Sits in my trunk now. No use to me. Heavy doesn't really work for EDC. I usually hand it to a buddy who questions the area we go to collect rent from.
NEWMANS OWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 26077
Send a message via AIM to another Lance
I just recently got a Cold Steel Double Agent II and its pretty big but its thin and lightweight. I like it alot.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
another Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 64457
Send a message via Yahoo to crownhilldigger
Used one for years.

I have carried a small neck sheathed knife for several years. Current is a small 1-pc blade w/some lasering on the handle for a better grip. I believe it is a small Tiger knife from Blind Horse Knives. Perfect for gutting fish or fowl and works well on deer once the breast is opened up. As some one said this would be in addition to a larger knife carried, but I go to this smaller, more convenient, easier to handle knife most.

What ever you wear around your neck make sure it could break given enough stress so that it does not impair your future activity as it a substantial choking hazard with parachute cord.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
POIT!

Member # 79539
I have one that sees mostly deer gutting duty. I think it's a CRKT. However, I don't wear it around my neck. I actually replaced the lanyard with a length of 550 cord that gets used to tie up the intestines.

Small, sharp, easy to maneuver, and easy to stuff in a pouch or pocket.
In Third World countries, people think evil spirits live in rocks and trees. We make fun of those people. In this country, certain people think evil spirits live in guns or magazines. We call them anti-gun activists. A more rational thinker sees very little difference in these two views.
LiLBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 95772
I just bought my first neck knife. An ESEE Izula. It's got a great sheath, and isn't too bad around the neck regarding concealability...I plan to mock up something in order to carry it around my ankle or possibly in my front pocket. It's secondary mostly, and occasionally primary. The only one I'd rather have (but rather not spend the money on) is the Chris Reeve Professional Soldier.
Jeff. is offline   Reply With Quote