Remington 870 Express - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78637
Remington 870 Express

Looking at getting one for the purpose of getting into hunting, just wondering if people have suggestions on where to pick one up for a decent deal around southern cali. Looks like 300 is about the cheapest i've found one for on sale. Looking at the 28" 12GA. Anything i need to be aware of with em? From everything i've seen, some people hate them but most love em.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Axes of E-ville

Member # 48097
What type of hunting do you plan to do with this shotgun?
Aces'n'8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Nothing wrong with them.
They will shoot fine, a bit heavy and don't swing well for me. The biggest draw back for me, is that the length of pull is too long for me. Shotguns are all about fit since you don't aim, you point.

Some 870's won't shoot low brass, some reason they will let two out of a magazine instead of one. I haven't known many that had problems.

www.MountaineerOffroad.com
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 78637
Mostly quail, rabbits, maybe chukkar, depending. Doubt i'll be going for geese or ducks, think i'd need mags for that anyways.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hate keeps me warm

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by four27_cobra View Post
Mostly quail, rabbits, maybe chukkar, depending. Doubt i'll be going for geese or ducks, think i'd need mags for that anyways.
Rabbits with a 12 gauge? OK

I dont undestand what you mean by "think i'd need mags for that anyways"

You generally PLUG a shotgun for birds.
And there ain't no good chain gang
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
The main thing about shotgun is fit. I don't care if it is a $1200 Ruger Red Label or a $100 single shot.
If it doesn't fit, you won't hit.

The way I test fit is like this.
I hold the gun in a comfortable carry position. I pick out a spot, close my eyes, and then shoulder the gun pointing it at the spot.
I open my eyes.
If the gun is on the spot, it fits.
If it is high or low, it doesn't fit.
If it is left or right, you probably suck at pointing

The next thing for me is swing. How is it balanced? Does it swing good?
I can swing a gun and feel the swing, if it feels comfortable it will work.
If it feels too heavy or too light in the front end, it isn't going to swing good.

If you plan on doing some fast shooting, you generally want a shorter barrelled gun because they usually swing better. On high flying and slow movers, it isn't that big of an issue.

The Browning Auto-5 is my go to gun when I am out of kill something with a shotgun.
It is heavy to carry, but points and swings well for such a long gun.

Most of the time I hunt with a side by side hammered 16 ga. It is light, points good, and swings good. However, it is slow to mount on flushed game because I have to cock the hammer. I only cock one in that situation, so it is essentially a single shot on flushed game.

Most guns have too long of a length of pull for me.
To fix this, I have to take the recoil pad off.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post

To hunt migratory game birds, you have to have a plug in the magazine so that the gun only holds a maximum of 3 shots.

Most people only have a 12 ga. You don't need it for rabbits, so you choose low power ammo with a light lead payload (like Win AA feather lights). You then use an open choke and shoot out in front of the rabbit so you don't put the full payload of shot in it.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 78637
I know 12 is overkill for rabbits, i plan on using an open choke with a lighter load so i dont vaporize them. I just like the added pellet count, seems like it would be more versatile to me for various uses. And the mag comment was in reference to magnums, for ducks / geese. Don't see myself going after those. thanks for the comments all!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Axes of E-ville

Member # 48097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post

Yeah and what's wrong with that?

If I use a 12ga for doves, why couldn't I use it for rabbits as well? Are doves tougher skinned than rabbits? I've used my beat up old 870 for squirrels too. Use the right load and choke for the forest canopy, and it can be more appropriate than a .22.

As for "mags", I think the OP may have meant MAGNUM shotshells as many duck/geese hunters opt for the 3"/3-1/2" Magnum/Super Magnum 870's.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
In GOD we trust. USA

Member # 15480
Quote:
Originally Posted by four27_cobra View Post
Looking at getting one for the purpose of getting into hunting, just wondering if people have suggestions on where to pick one up for a decent deal around southern cali. Looks like 300 is about the cheapest i've found one for on sale. Looking at the 28" 12GA. Anything i need to be aware of with em? From everything i've seen, some people hate them but most love em.
Saw on calguns that big5 had 'em on sale....it might have ended already?

<-- AVATAR for Concealed Carry Weapons permits in the U.S. over time: No issue / May issue / Shall issue / Constitutional carry- No restrictions / FROM 1986 to today
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wook Commander

Member # 81619
Check the Pawn Shops? I bought an 870 Wingmaster in a Carson City pawn shop for $150.00.
1st Recline Bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 175955
I've owned a couple 870s and absolutely loved them. I think they are the best you can do for that kind of money. I bought one in high school and my friend bought a mossberg at the same time and you could tell a big difference in the quality of the guns. The forearm on his felt really sloppy and he was always having to dig out jammed shells.
gearheadmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 113019
Check out the Benelli Nova; it's ugly as sin, but very ergonomic and finely made. In my opinion, the 870's being made now a days aren't worthy of the Remington name.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 140580
A composite 870 is the only real pump gun that I am comfortable with.

I have a brand new, never fired, Remington 887 Nitro Mag pump gun that I will let go for 300 plus the ride.
1996 DODGE 2500, 4X4, CUMMINS, 370'S, 5GSK, MACK PLUG, STUDS, SFI FLEX PLATE, DERALE DEEP PAN, EMS HUB KIT WITH 35 SPLINE INNER AND OUTTER MOSER AXLES, WARN GOLD LOCK-OUTS, 3 IN. LEVELING KIT, DUAL EDELBROCK REMOTE RESERVOIR SHOCKS, ROUGH COUNTRY STEERING STABILIZER, STEERING BOX BRACE.
LOGANSTANFORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wook Commander

Member # 81619
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH View Post
A composite 870 is the only real pump gun that I am comfortable with.

I have a brand new, never fired, Remington 887 Nitro Mag pump gun that I will let go for 300 plus the ride.
Orly? tell me more
1st Recline Bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadmb View Post
I've owned a couple 870s and absolutely loved them. I think they are the best you can do for that kind of money. I bought one in high school and my friend bought a mossberg at the same time and you could tell a big difference in the quality of the guns. The forearm on his felt really sloppy and he was always having to dig out jammed shells.
That is odd, because I have never known anyone to have an issue with a Mossberg 500.

They are lighter, have an ambidextrous safety, and due to the lighter weight swing better than an 870. Yes, the forearms have slack in them. Everyone I have seen manufactured up from the 1970's to current have that forearm that rattles. I have seen more problem 870's than I have 500's (actually I have never seen a problem 500 that I can remember).

Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hillbilly Houndsman

Member # 13420
I am not partial to any shotgun, I use a shotgun more than any other type of gun because I spend every Saturday from October to the end of February hunting (plus other days off).

A shotgun is a piece of pipe that shoots a shotshell.
With the invention of screw in choke tubes, that really opened up the market for people to own one shotgun for any purpose.

A shotgun must fit. I don't give a damned if it is a $100 brazilian shotgun, or a $7500 Merkel. If it doesn't fit, you won't shoot worth shit with it. Considering even on the best day of hunting, I am carrying the shotgun 99.999999% of the time and shooting it the rest of the time. Weight and comfortable carry is huge with me. When I spend 8 hours walking through the woods with rabbit dogs, I want a light gun that it easy to carry. When I go dove hunting, wieght is a non-issue. I am generally out there in one spot for about an hour, and I am shooting a lot. That is where I like the Browning Auto 5. It points like a dream and swings well. I will hit more doves with it than any other gun I own (and I've got a pile of shotguns).

That is why it is important to shoulder and swing shotguns before you buy them.
Try my test where you pick out a spot, close your eyes, mount the gun, then open them. If the gun is not pointed on that spot, it doesn't fit you.
Swing the shotgun back and forth, do small figure 8's, and stop it abruptly while you are swinging. How's that feel?

There is nothing wrong with an 870. Personally, I would look back into older models because I feel that Remington's quality dropping in the 90's.
Don't discount any shotgun until you have shot it.
If you want a tacticool shotgun that you can attach a bunch of shit on to - the 870 is your only choice. I just want one to hunt with.

Personally, I have always been partial to Winchester pump guns. Whether is was a Model 12 or a 1300. I have always like them the best for an all around pump gun.
If I was not worried about mag loads, I would be looking for an Ithica model 37.
They are the supreme light wieght pump gun. It really is sad they don't make them any more.

I've posted many times the best shotgun I have ever shot was a Browning double barrel.
It fit me better than any gun I have ever shouldered. It pointed and swung effortlessly. I believe I could shoot skeet with my eyes closed with that gun.
The downside is they are pretty hard to find, and I don't have that kind of money laying around to spend on one. (I really should clean out my gun safe, sell a bunch of shotguns, and replace them with that one).

Last edited by SilverZuk; 01-26-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 140580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Recline Bn View Post
Orly? tell me more
You got a PM, I bought it for 300 from a kid that bought it new and the next week his truck blew the engine and I just want my money out of it cause I don't have any use for it and I really don't need it...
1996 DODGE 2500, 4X4, CUMMINS, 370'S, 5GSK, MACK PLUG, STUDS, SFI FLEX PLATE, DERALE DEEP PAN, EMS HUB KIT WITH 35 SPLINE INNER AND OUTTER MOSER AXLES, WARN GOLD LOCK-OUTS, 3 IN. LEVELING KIT, DUAL EDELBROCK REMOTE RESERVOIR SHOCKS, ROUGH COUNTRY STEERING STABILIZER, STEERING BOX BRACE.
LOGANSTANFORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 164604
Beware of the new 870's, I can say I really hate mine. Purchased in September new, first time out would not eject spent shells, got real good at taking it apart, put about 100 rounds through it on clays. Sent it back to Remington, got it back about 5 weeks later. Took it for a test drive, 1st shell didn't eject, took gun apart again to get it out. Put another 100 rounds through it on clays, started to get less frequent, but still having issues. Filled out remington survey card that came back with "fixed" gun, been 2+ months, no call or email, guess they don't care. Put another 100+ through it new years weekend, it does seem to be getting better with some use, but it's annoying as hell. I really do like the feel of it, I've never been more accurate with any gun at clays as this one, but it's quirks suck. I was thinking about picking up a different barrel, but not sure I want to put any money into this thing, may just trade it up to something else. My buddies Mossberg 500 on the other hand, never jams.

Scott
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
i recently snagged one for 80 bucks at the pawn shop

put an aftermarket saftey button in it to get rid of the ghey lock thing. took about 10 minutes for that one, the next one took minutes, if that!
shoots great! infact the first time i shot with it, i went duck hunting with it

i 8> 870's.
Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 113019
If you are stuck on the 870, buy an older one.........there are millions of them out there so you should be able to find one in good shape for the price of that POS Express you are looking at.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Axes of E-ville

Member # 48097
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
If you want a tacticool shotgun that you can attach a bunch of shit on to - the 870 is your only choice.
I have to disagree with you here and point out the tactical Mossberg 590 series are just as much tactical as any tacticalized 870 shotgun tactical.

Tactical.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Quote:
That is odd, because I have never known anyone to have an issue with a Mossberg 500.

They are lighter, have an ambidextrous safety, and due to the lighter weight swing better than an 870. Yes, the forearms have slack in them. Everyone I have seen manufactured up from the 1970's to current have that forearm that rattles. I have seen more problem 870's than I have 500's (actually I have never seen a problem 500 that I can remember).
Took the words right outta my mouth.
[COLOR="Blue"][QUOTE=Texas97;13281566]dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
redpitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 68844
Quote:
If you want a tacticool shotgun that you can attach a bunch of shit on to - the 870 is your only choice. I just want one to hunt with.

... Ithaca model 37.
They are the supreme light wieght pump gun. It really is sad they don't make them any more.
Last time I checked, they do make the Ithaca 37, and in several configurations.
http://www.ithacagun.com/defense37s.html
http://www.ithacagun.com/firearms.html

And the Mossberg 590 is really a far superior choice for a tactical shotgun, especially when comparing 870s made in the last 10 years or so...
[COLOR="Blue"][QUOTE=Texas97;13281566]dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
redpitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 78637
This gun will be strictly for hunting / clays, there will be no tacticool wizardry on it. I have a basic home defense mossberg allready. Based on what i've read and heard, it sounds like the newer 870s are made with stamped guts, that sometimes have a good bit of flashing left on them and such, I wonder if this is what causes the newer ones to be mediocre? I can't remember where, but i read that the 870 wingmaster and the 870 express use the same part number internals, but the wingmaster's guts are hand honed and polished. Y'all have me kinda thinking about a benelli nova, but it is fawk ugly. Not a big fan of the mossberg just cause they seem a little sloppy, and I am OCD about my mechanical shit being as close to perfect as possible. I figure maybe i can clean up the 870's guts?